It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develope Worlds Fastest Computer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Scientists Develope Worlds Fastest Computer

news.yahoo.com

"To put the computer's speed in perspective, it has roughly the computing power of 100,000 of today's most powerful laptops stacked 1.5 miles high, according to IBM. Or, if each of the world's 6 billion people worked on hand-held computers for 24 hours a day, it would take them 46 years to do what the Roadrunner computer can do in a single day."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well this certainly proves how technologically advanced we are becoming...

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh christ, this reminds me of all those IT company conspiracies i used to think up.

Yes, it does prove we're becoming technologically advanced pimpymcgibbens, i just happen to find it rather frightening that this kind of computerised power is in the hands of one corporation.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PimpyMcgibbins

news.yahoo.com

Just wait until nanotechnology comes into play, when that happens expect to see computers millions- billion times faster.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by PimpyMcgibbins

news.yahoo.com

Just wait until nanotechnology comes into play, when that happens expect to see computers millions- billion times faster.

Settle down folks, I hear it's running Vista.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I wonder whats FPS is on this thing??

Maybe some COD or something.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Here is an example of how it could work.

www.youtube.com...

Also check out all the other videos of nanotechnology. Amazing stuff, expect HUGE changes to the world when this technology with endless possibilities comes to the world.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think it's not hard to understand that the fastest computer around today known for general public is a fraction of the capacity that computers with military purposes have.

General technology is a fraction of technologic reality...

That's my opinion

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

This computer is basically one big calculator- I don't think its anything to bolt your doors for buddy. It'll solve a bunch of math equations, not strip you of your identity or life. If this is out in public, you can only imagine what computer governments around the world have and are using hidden away. This most likely isn't the worlds fastest computer- its probably the worlds fastest computer we'll ever know about.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was actually talking about the 'hack' (or more specifically, 'crack') potential that machine holds.

We keep on making more and more powerful machines - sooner or later some bright spark is going to get it into his head to bring down the net.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PimpyMcgibbins

All computers are big calculators. This one can and will be used to keep and acces our profiles and records both finacial and what we possess and think. Anything we do here or any other place we publish or talk about will in the end be held on this type of 'calculator'! The memory speed and access is the scary part. Still,lol if its running Vista..we're safe till someone puts Unix in it,LOL!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So the purpose of this is what exactly?

The technology breakthrough was accomplished by engineers from the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the IBM Corp. on a computer to be used primarily on nuclear weapons work, including simulating nuclear explosions.

After all that, I thought it was going to eradicate world hunger or reverse global warming (or 'gobal wappa' to a pentium).

Scientists - are they barking up the wrong tree or what?

Brei.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It's already here. We just have to figure out how to apply it. Quantum dots, carbon nanoribbons, phonon's, photonics, plasmonics....the technology is there. But they inventors don't communicate so well, so now we have to wait for them to find each other and then apply their sciences.

Quantum computing is here....we just have to put the machine's together.

Even if we don't, we can see increases in processing ability just from crafty thermoelectrics.

If you look at the inclusion of DNA as a model for programmable growth pattern, biological interface is just that much closer, as well.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yes I assumed that, they just need to get it started really.

It is amazing isn't it, I don't think most people have any idea how something like this will really change the world, they all think about stuff like oil etc, but the biggest thing is this, nanotechnology (almost unlimited creative potential) and other inventions.

I personally can't wait for the future, and hope to live for a long time to learn new things and experience it.

What about you?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
1 petaFLOPS is alot of FLOPS.
Just imagine playing Crysis on something like this.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by cloudfire]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudfire
1 petaFLOPS is alot of FLOPS.
Just imagine playing Crysis on something like this.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by cloudfire]

More like the real matrix haha

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I dream of a future...but fear there may not be one. For all the wonderful, artful, beautiful things that we as humans can do, there is an equal deep, dark penchant for evil and destruction.

Would that we have a future. If we do, it should be limitless. And if we don't, such is the way of our kind, and our planet.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
1Petaflop? I wonder why they don't say how fast it is in terms of cycles per second? My brain works at 4.5billion cycles per second, the same speed as the fastest proccesors being mass produced.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by earthman4]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yah its quantum computers you want to look for though...We have already added numbers with a few atoms,as for brain vs machine,right now the brain wins hands down...and will continue to do so,not because of sheer processing power though(in whcih computers win) but because of the way info is processed and assesed.Most robots etc are pretty smart processing power wise..but pretty retarded in every other way...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I dream of a future...but fear there may not be one. For all the wonderful, artful, beautiful things that we as humans can do, there is an equal deep, dark penchant for evil and destruction.

Would that we have a future. If we do, it should be limitless. And if we don't, such is the way of our kind, and our planet.

My thoughts too, this technology, while it sounds amazing, can also be very powerful for "bad" things too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join