It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

card shops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
ok, a friend of mine has an original charizard card, first edition, mint condition, its worth is like amazing(about 70-100 dollars), but he goes into this card shop, there is one in a case for sale, a little scratched up, $50, and the owner says he will pay, only TEN DOLLARS for this card, so i go in later, with my vast colection of hockey cards(1991 colection, almost every card, including a Matts Sundin rookie card) and he says, get this thirty dollars, im sick of all these card shops trieng to rip off all of the card collecting world, down with the card shops

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How do you expect them to make any money if they buy your cards for what they are worth?

Your best bet for selling cards is ebay. You can set the minimum bid to be the value of the card. That way you at least get full value price for the card instead of getting ripped off by a card shop.

Card shop owners are in the buisness to make money. Go in once and haggle with them over the price of a card. Tell em that this card no matter how mint it is is bent scratched, creased and otherwise generaly worthless. Its a game ya know and you have to play it. Everything you try and buy must be inferior quality, everything you want to sell should be pristine and you must let the owner know that they are incompetent boobs that don't know squat about any genera of card collecting.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

the whole 1991 colection is worth about five hundred dollars, the colection i have almost all of, his offer was like running into a brick wall, i dont care if they need money, but it cost more than thirty dollars to get all of the colection, and he wants me to sell it for thirty, after i said no, he said "well, i will only buy it for thirty dollars, if you wont sell i want you out of my store now" im just venting all this steam off, I HATE CARD SHOPS

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When I was little I collected sports cards from about '77 to '85. During that time, and even more so before that, the hobby wasn't the business that it's turned into. The reason cards from the last 20 years, give or take, don't have that honest to goodness dollar value is because the production number of each card is so high. Back in the '90s I bought 20 mint condition Greg Maddux rookie cards for a pittance. Let me tell you, he's one of the five greatest pitchers who ever lived, and those cards are basically worthless. Why, because they made so many of them.

The price guides jack up the price of the cards because they work hand in hand with the card makers. Card shops know this and you're lucky if you get 1/4 of the card's listed value.

Signed and numbered, limited production cards are the only ones that have any real value anymore.

Peace

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

did you know that there have been so many people throwing out there colections, i am the only person i know with any of these cards

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Like I said man Ebay, sell em on Ebay if you want the full value of em.

That is if you want to sell em at all.

otherwise keep em safe and sell em down the road.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
the whole 1991 colection is worth about five hundred dollars

It's "worth" $500 if every card in the set is in mint condition, and unless the set was factory-packed, sealed and untouched by human hands, it's worth about $100. So working from a $100 maximum value, like I said, you're lucky if you get 1/4 of the value. Turns out that's about what the guy offered you.

Peace

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

i factored all that in, if it was untouched, and all that stuff, over 2k, its amazing what some people will try to get for nearly free

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What company made the set?

Peace

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

oh god, i should know this, i dont pay attention to it that much, i will edit this post when i get home later to tell you

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by outrider

But the problem with pokeman cards is they were a BIG hit back in the day - and only on a small scale now (they're still big with you, and thats cool, im talking about media at large)

They may be WORTH 500 dollars because some magazine says so

But they're really only worth what someone wants to pay for them.

If paying 500 dollars for a few pokeman cards gets someone publicity -- then someone will pay 500 dollars.

What i mean is - why pay you the 500 dollars - if no collectors are interested in that set anymore - either because they already have it - or because they're just plain no longer interested in pokemon

I have tons of things that are "worth a lot of money"
but never sell on ebay for 1/2 of what they're worth

sell it for what you can get now, because 10 years from now, it'll only be worth less

new topics

top topics

join