It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans block extra taxes on oil companies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You guys do know that the oil companies unwittingly act as another tax collection agent of the government.

The American citizen gets taxed directly.

The American citizen pays a tax at the gas pump.

The gas station pays a tax which is passed along to the American citizen.

The oil company pays a tax which gets passed on to the American citizen.

The government gets billions from a tax that just gets passed along to us. The super high gas prices are just a disguised revenue stream to go into government coffers.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Incredible how our corporate ridden oil man in the white house is screwing the people in favor of record margins and profits.

Explain, exactly, how the ''corporate ridden oil man in the White House'' had anything to do with this bill not passing the Senate?

I say take away all the tax payer money that our oil man ridden government for the last 8 years has been awarding to them and give to the people in the name of incentives to alleviate the gas crisis that is hitting every day Americans in their budgets.

As another poster stated earlier in this thread, corporations don't pay the taxes, the consumer does because the oil companies can't grow money on trees. It comes out of our pockets.

Yes we tax payers are paying big oil companies thanks to government incentives, so the taxes they pay is back in their big fat pockets in the name of initiatives and incentives.

I guess that you're referring to the $18 billion tax incentive that the Congress was whining about a couple of months ago. Guess what, that $18 billion is spread out over 10 years to all the oil companies.

Exxon Mobil (all by their lonesome) paid $9.8 billion in taxes during the first quarter of this year. When they pay their tax bill for the second quarter, they will make up the difference for the entire $18 billion incentive that everyone is belly aching about.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
State gas taxes—which are assessed on top of the federal rate of 18.4 cents per gallon—tend to get the most attention in comparisons of fuel prices across states. At 17.6 cents per gallon, Missouri's gas taxes are low, but they aren't quite as low as some other states'. New Jersey, for example, takes just 14.5 cents per gallon, but its prices remain more expensive than Missouri's. (The Garden State's ban on self-service pumps adds an estimated nickel or so per gallon to the retail price.)

See that? 18.4cents per gallon is the fed tax rate. Not 3 dollars like some have claimed.

So, 4dollars-18.4 cents fed rate, -17.6 cents state(if in Missouri) equals... 3.64 dollars a gallon.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You're thinking in a box here. First of all you either misunderstood or you're purposely twisting my words. What I said was that for every $4 big oil makes in profits, the government takes $3. Not that the tax per gallon was $3...how you got that idea is beyond me.

You are indeed right that the federal tax on gasoline purchased is 18.4 cents a gallon. Now, do a search for and take a look at the balance sheets of any of the major gas producers. Take exxon mobil for example. Pull up a balance sheet on the internet and take a look at how much they pay in income tax. Remember the highly publicized record profits?? Well, the income tax they paid on their gross profit was even higher than that. The headline should have said that the government had made record profits in that quarter because that's what really happened.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
All I'm hearing so far is the blame game and it reminds me of twister, except their having fun while were losing our homes etc. Even the news media just plays along and tells us how to save gas etc. I looked at the prices of scooters. Some of which cost more than motorcycles.

Oil refineries supposedly wanted to expand but the government wouldn't let them build new refineries?

Time for Change, too bad it's barely enough for candy....made in China.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The oil man in the white house legacy to the big fat oil barons

Since George Bush became President in 2001, the top five oil companies in the United States have recorded profits of $464 billion through the first quarter of 2007:

The oil companies don't mind. Since Bush became President, the largest five oil companies operating in the US - ExxonMobil, ChevronTexaco, ConocoPhillips, BP and Shell - have enjoyed profits of $464 billion, with ExxonMobil leading the way with profits of $158.5 billion.

And this is only during the first quarter of the year 2007.

ExxonMobil: $158.5 billion
Shell: $108.5 billion
BP: $89.2 billion
ChevronTexaco: $60.9 billion
ConocoPhillips: $46.9 billion

www.citizen.org...

Oil companies as they stand now are vitually debt free as it shows on the way they pay dividents to their shareholders.

So the so call “taxes” do not affect them anything, and they have a cash pile of over 25 billion dollars

Is good to have a buddy in the white house for 8 years.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
When are people going to get it in their heads that the extremists who have seized control of the Republican party over the past 30 years or so don't give a rats ass about the average Joe?

bush minor spoke correctly when he described his constituency as the haves and the have mores.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Uh, when are the libs going to get it through their heads that the Democratic party that actually cared about the average working man instead of just looking out for the special interest groups that would get them the most headlines or biggest donations went out with a bullet to John Kennedy's head in 1963? BOTH parties are run by greed mongers who care about 2 things, celebrity and the almighty dollar. Need proof of that, just watch how Nancy Pelosi acts like she's cock of the walk everytime a camera is on her.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Actually lobbyist and big corporate America has paid more to Republicans on campaign funds that to Democrats, still both parties accept funding.

When its time for business in Washington both parties work for the highest bidder.

The buying of the president 2008

www.publicintegrity.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Whereas Hollywood and money market big wigs have paid far more to the Democrats. It all balances out. Also, I agree with you which is why I stressed that BOTH parties are run by greed.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
Republicans block extra taxes on oil companies

GOOD! They'd just pass the cost down to us.
Jimmy Carter tried that extrra windfalls profit tax.
We all know that the economy tanked because of it.

Oh .. Obama wants to push it through when he's POTUS.
Get ready for a second Jimmy Carter term ya'll.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
When are people going to get it in their heads that the extremists who have seized control of the Republican party over the past 30 years or so don't give a rats ass about the average Joe?

Grover ... bud ... extremists who have seized control of both the Republican party and the Democratic party don't give a rats ass about the Average Joe.

None of them do.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
And it's a wise choice. Are you aware that the oil companies are already taxed 75% on their earnings? For every $4 they make, the government takes $3. They're already getting raped by the government, tax them more and they'll just have to raise prices to make a reasonable profit.

You are a wise man, sir!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Maybe North American governments should pull a Chavez and make the oil companies public corporations, most all profits go as taxes instead of lining the pockets of billionaires.

We'd have cheaper fuel, lower taxes and maybe even more social programs.

Only one bad thing in it though, 'government'

But still, most of the oil is in other lands stolen by multinational corporations while most of the population gets jack squat and even if it was public it would only enrich the people in the land the oil is from, couldn't have that now, could we?
I don't think one would see a public corporation lobbying though, that would be good, would a public oil company try to buy our politicians? Maybe?

Just got to take the greed out of it somehow.

I just busted my butt at work today, I'm tired, took a lot of brain power to write this.
I work hard to eat food that increases in price faster than my pay increase, I worked hard to afford to heat my home with oil in the winter time.
Could barely afford it, scared as hell to see the price of heating fuel next winter

A half tank lasts one month, costs $500 bux, next winter, do I see $750? $900 $1000 ?

A lot of people are scared, we need heat.

Looking into a pellet stove, I want to make a solar collector this summer.

Got to do something, can't afford fossil fuels, I'm certainly not getting rich from it, someone else is, all the while little old ladies freeze to death sitting in the dark, on fixed incomes with a bowl of cat chow stuck to her cold frozen fingers.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I got a better idea, instead of taxing them and therefore raping them as well as the consumer, NATIONALIZE them. Take all the oil companies, ever last one of them, and declare them national assets. Seize all the assets, and give the invester 1 penny on the dollar. Eliminate to corporate heads of each of them, and create a department of oil. Take oil off of the commodity market. The Saudi's say that oil should only be $40 a barrel right now, fine pay them $40 a barrel for every barrel shipped into america, and if they or any OPEC country doesn't take the offer, block all product imports and exports from that country. This includes NOT only goods, but aid, or preferential treatment. Because it is now a nationalize product, we can eliminate all taxes on it, as it should be a self sufficient part of the government, directly controlled by congress. In the event any nation decides to get frisky and take OUR NATIONALIZED assets in there country, BLOCK THEM. FULL EMBARGO BABY, until they pay the going rate for the assets that they are taking + 6% interest compounded annually.

I am a firm believer that the US has had EMPIRACAL ideas for far to long. My ideas are not Empiracal, if a country doesn't like them, well, they are free to go there own way.

Other thoughts are SHUTTING DOWN ALL MILITARY ASSETS on all foreign soil, including gitmo, cuba doesn't want us there, and there is no sense being there. We should take ALL those planes, trucks, tanks, etc and MOTHBALL them. We have been preparing for WW3 for the last 60 yrs, let someone else pay to prepare, thats what a nuclear deterent is force.

We do not need an army of 1.5 million people, we need an army of 250,000. The majority of that should be used to protect the borders WHICH is what they were supposed to be used for to begin with. Moth ball the MAJORITY of the Navy, as well.

With the money saved with dismantling the army, we could actually turn a profit, pay down the deficit, and provide tax relief for the middle class.

Here's another idea, NATIONALIZE the PHARMACUTICAL COMPANIES. HOW MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF Viagara do we really need? How about making them responsible for actually doing something productive, like developing pain enhibiters that aren't addictive, developing new, or better vaccines that don't poison people, or better yet, produce medicines that ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE CURE THE PROBLEM, NOT TREAT the Disease.

Heck since I'm on a role, HOW about re-nationalizing the penetentry system as well. YOU REALIZED these people are outsourced to the lowest bidder? Taxes shouldn't be needed to fix or repair our roads, through salt on roads, or even dig the ditches, or clean them along roads. THERE SHOULD NEVER BE A TV IN A PRISON. These people should be either WORKING THERE ASS OFF, or getting there 6 hours of sleep a night. IT SHOULD NOT BE A COUNTRY CLUB, LAWN CLUB, MONOPOLY CLUB, OR EVEN A ALL YOU CAN GET GAY NIGHT CLUB!. These people should be worked continuously.

They should be forced to pay 400 a month an efficiency apartment (there cell) all utilities payed included. They want a bed, they should be charged 25 a month for it, sheets 10, blankets 10. They want to eat diet A (lowest) 200 a month, B(mid-grade) 300, and C(highest) 400 a month. The want electricity to there room, its $50 a month.

If they fall behind, they loose all there stuff that month. If they stay behind, they sleep on the floor on someones cell. They continue to fall behind, they get put in a small cell with the rest, with a bucket to crap in, and thats it.

Its time that america took care of america, and stopped giving our future generations money to BS countries that hate us. ALL FOREIGN AID SHOULD BE ELIMINATED.

k, well I'm done drinking now, heading to bed,

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Show me where they get taxed at 75%. YOU are the one who is misinformed. They pay around 37 to 45% which is still high but on the income they make they will survive and their CEOs will continue to get 30 to 40 million dollar a year checks.

On subject this was dead from the beginning. Pelosi and the dems dont want to do anything. They are making to much money on the side. Like someone posted earlier the gas is just another way to tax us. Its a weak dollar that is causing this which is once again the governments fault.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I agree with this. I think the government has a few obligations and national security is one of them and oil as we all know is national security. I think they should be nationalized and instead of paying all that money into the billionaire CEOs that money would go to the government which would hopefully lead to lower taxes for us. Hell all this money could go to fund this war in Iraq that half of you guys in this thread love to talk about. I thought oil was going to pay for it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Reality check here guys:
Regardless of your political leanings, do you really expect to put taxes on the oil companies and have them NOT pass that business expense along to you at the pump? They WILL do it!

For the sake of low income people - in fact all people in the US who drive - don't support additional taxes on the oil barons. Find another way to punish them if you are outraged or totally pissed - but DON'T tax them!
You, the American driver will only end up paying their taxes for them at the pump.

You wanna hurt these rich chumps? Buy Hybrid automobiles. When totally electric plug-in-and-charge commuters come out, buy them. Thats the way to stick it to the oil kingpins AND the oil sheiks, chavezes, etc.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hold on. So are we now asking for more taxes? Last time I checked we fought for separation from England partly because of the excessive taxation. Remember the Boston Tea Party? Who do you think actually pays these increased taxes? The consumer of course.

Down with higher taxes. They just serve to increase the power of the government.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
I say tax the Federal Reserve! They're the ones who are responsible for higher prises and the dollar going down the tubes.
Just where did that silver go that was in our coins and the gold? Monopoly money is what we have now days.

The Federal Reserve is a non-profit private bank...all of their profits are repaid to the treasury...so I guess you could say they are taxed 100%

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
That may be one of the only good things they have done for this country. Keep those prices real high. The good thing about Americans, is that when the price is right, the people will develop an alternative fuel which in the end will put an end to big oil, and all those profits.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join