It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talon Topper Glider Recon Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Talon Topper.

A glider that goes up to 100,000 feet on a balloon with a 'recon payload', does the business and then detaches and glides back to earth under control from a station that sounds very similar to a global hawk control station.

This glider however can glide at MACH 0.98 !

This reminds me very much of the lifting body research done in the early 1960s and 70's.

Amazing stuff

Read all about it here.

Defense Tech

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Talon Topper project

The Space Innovation development Center (SIDC) TENCAP intends to pursue a sole-source follow-on effort with Near Space Corporation (NSC) for Talon TOPPER System Refinement. NSC, 6000 Hangar Road, P.O. Box 909, Tillamook, OR 97141, previously performed this effort under the Talon TOPPER II program under Contract FA2550-05-C-8889. This contract ended on 30 Mar 06, and was performed through a Broad Agency Announcement (BAA). Some of the tasks in the previous contract were not completed. The TOPPER system consists of Tactical Balloon Systems, Return Vehicle, Payload Integration, Ground Support Equipment, and Talon SHU Module. The system is also supported by a mission planning and flight monitoring system called Talon SHU, the High Altitude Mission Support System (HAMSS). The balloon provides a low cost expendable system to loft the payload and maintain it in the high altitude environment (65K-100k feet) during mission operation. The payload is integrated with the Payload Return Vehicle (PRV) to provide for the safe return of the payload. After landing, the vehicle can be serviced, prepared for another sortie with a new expendable balloon, and relaunched as required.

I would love to see any other pics of that ligting body like glider unit.

Any one ? Cheers, Daniel

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
members.aol.com...

Well i'll be a monkies uncle ! a manned facet mobile turns into a unmanned glider project...

Great pics on this guys web page.

His wind tunnel models - a lifting body research craft... I love it, and if I were rich i'd beg him to make me one

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Interesting find! I thought the picture was of the manned facet-mobile; completely surprised to find out about this particular project.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Suprised me too del !

But what an idea. A ballon takes you up over 100,000, you take you recon pics and then your little faceted lifting body zooms back at Mach 0.98.

Bet that little suckers stealthy too !

new topics

top topics

join