It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon OKs brainwave binoculars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Pentagon OKs brainwave binoculars

www.news.com.au

THE Pentagon has approved $US6.7 million ($7m) to develop binoculars that would tap a user's brainwaves to home in on threats.

Northrop Grumman Corporation said today it was leading an academic and industry consortium for the project, known as the Cognitive Technology Threat Warning System program, or CT2WS.

The plan featured a custom helmet equipped with electrodes placed on the scalp to record neural responses to the presence or absence of potential threats, Northrop said.

The brain's input would "train the system's algorithms, which will continue to be refined over time so that the warfighter is always presented with items of relevance to his mission", the company said.

The contract was awarded by the Defence Advanced Projects Agency, or DARPA, a Pentagon arm that acts as a cradle of new technology for use by the US military.

The goal is to detect enemy forces and vehicles over 1-10km while surveying a 120deg or greater field of view, according to documents on DARPA's website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I imagine it would be difficult to shield from this sort of detection. Maybe tin foil hats will be useful after all.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

Very cool technology... DARPA is always working on some of the coolest toys.

It might be more appropiate to move this thread into the Military & Govt Projects Forum.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
[edit on 6/30/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by primamateria

I imagine it would be difficult to shield from this sort of detection. Maybe tin foil hats will be useful after all.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Remember, it looks for threats, so if you aren't acting/thinking in a threatening manner you should be okay.

It would be interesting to see whether or not opposing forces will start training their troops to be completely complacent up until the moment of combat...

Er...

I think i might've said too much.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
*note to self:

Mental training on self-control and discipline was a good choice.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

COOL! so the electrodes go onto a soldiers head, the soldier recognises danger, and this in turn trains the alogritham to recognise for itself future danger to the soldier that he may actually be unaware of...

That is so cool.

What this has to do with people wearing tin foil hats I do not know - this doesn't detect other peoples brain waves, it detects the weares and alerts them to danger..

Still bloody cool.

new topics

top topics

join