It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISP's confirm '2012: The Year The Internet Ends'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

REALLY? Thinking it can't happen is a joke. I wish. It can and it already is moving that way on mobile Internet access (cell type mobile "broadband"). On this one topic -- broadband and wireless -- chances are I am this site's best expert (you can believe it or not). I know top FCC people on a first name basis. I have toured ISPs with the former FCC Chairman Powell and then Commisioner (and later Chairmen himself) Martin. THIS WILL HAPPEN unless the public makes it clear in voice and action to their elected representatives. Already the conservative courts have hog-tied the FCC's arms, who wanted to make permanent Net Neutrality.

In other words, IT IS ALREADY BEING PUT IN PLACE and the ignorant people (ignorance is being used in a factual sense here) in the Tea Party are cheering the Republican cronies on.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

If wireless doesn't work, then im almost 100% certain that hackers can turn the power lines into a huge interconnected network too. This has already been proven to work by using a different frequency much like DSL uses a different frequency of your phone line.

Not true. Broadband is my field. You are refering to BPL and/or PLC (broadband over power lines or power line carrier). Don't believe the hype. The technology is extremely problematic due to variances in voltage along the grid, among other pretty much unsurmountable challenges. Don't believe the hype in articles or trade rags -- none of these are really learned but rather regurgitation of company press releases.

In any event, every network, BPL, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, DSL, cable, satellite, LTE, 3G, fiber...ALL of them have to route through a NOC and that is the point of control to the rest of the Internet unless you want some isolated, disconnected local peering network.

Don't get apathetic and think the loss of Net Neutrality is no big deal. We are ALL screwed if we lose it.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If i may, this is entirely CRAP. This was tried before the internet we have today, and failed.
Anyone remember GEnie? AOL? Compuserve? These types of network programmed services failed when the primary internet became available to the general public in a graphical interface.

I have about a dozen or so servers up on BGP connections. None of the PTB provide me any kind of assistance in gear, connection or income. They have no ability to shut off the connection. Baseless fear mongering is what I would call this, more than any other baseless fear mongering on ATS.

Anyone remember that we would all run out of bandwidth a little while ago? Then Youtube comes along and shows people how much bandwidth really is available. Add on the VOIP and you can really understand how uninformed those claiming that we were running out of bandwidth really were.

Now we have the specter of someone shutting off access to untaxed websites? This is just not going to happen. Most of the websites online are owned by companies or people who have jobs, businesses and pay for their websites to be available. The people relying on free services for email, or web storage might need to be concerned, but no government is going to kill an existing tax base. If you are using a free email address, have a free website on free services, sure you might have to consider that someone isn't willing to continue paying for your use, but most real business wont be affected.

..Ex

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join