It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird and Wonderful Wildlife Within

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I was just wandering around the web looking for something to entertain when I found some very interesting critters....

Alpaca

Angora Rabbit

Axolotl

Aye-aye

Blobfish

Dumbo Octopus

Emperor Tamarin

Frilled Lizard

Komondor

Narwhal

Phillipine Tarsier

Proboscis Monkey

Pygmy Marmoset

Red Panda

Saki Monkey

Sloth

Star-nosed Mole

Sucker-footed Bat

Sun Bear

Tapir

Yeti Crab

Source Hit the source link for descriptions of the above.

Feel free to post more pics of your favorite strange creatures.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Great photos.
Great diversity on this little planet.

I wonder why they call the one the blob fish? LOL

I'll add one of my favorites, the Mimic Octopus:

as a crab

as a sea snake

as a flounder

It can mimic other animals as well. check out this series of vids, to see it in action.
www.oceanfootage.com...

[edit on 9-6-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I swear I was just looking at that website 3-4 days ago. And then, I joined this site a day or two later (maybe the same day.)

I guess it just goes to show how the brain works, that people of similar interests can have such similar yet wide-spectrumed interests.

Or, you're monitoring my browsing habits, you naughty naughty person.
lol

I'm glad you posted different pictures than were on the site. I had known about most of them, so I hadn't gone digging around to read about them elsewhere.

If I had to pick, I think I'd have to say that my favorite is the Aye-aye. Yes, yes. It shows an amazing, almost Darwinistic transformation with its highly specialized elongated hooked "finger". I had seen some nature/science show about animals and tools a while back, and they had shown the Aye-aye, and how its adapted finger was used for digging grubs out of holes in trees. It's kind of a scary looking creature, but so pathetically frightened looking itself, that you just have to feel sorry for it. But, then- I'm the type of guy that would take a day off of work to drive 2 1/2 hours to the other side of the state, in sweltering heat with the AC turned off, just to bring a baby orphaned bat to an accepting animal shelter.

Thanks for bringing my thought over to these boards. :-) B.T.W. If you get a chance to see Discovery's "Planet Earth" series and haven't yet, it's fantastic for showing some very strange and wonderful creatures.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry- I guess you had found a completely different website, but with almost the exact same list (I'd say maybe only 2 or 3 are different, but they seem like they might be in the same exact order).

Still fantastic though!

I'd vote for a filled star for the post, if I could figure out how to do it (still a true n00bie, I'll find it.)

Click here for the website that I had found with almost all the same animals, but different, less scary and - dare I say, almost cuter images.

The red panda on the site you posted almost looks like a cartoon character. Too funny

[edit on 9-6-2008 by Mooshup]

new topics

top topics

join