It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama - The TRUTH about her Thesis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Obama is been dissected like a frog on a petri dish and is going to get uglier.

Boy, isn't that true! And not because of the man himself, but because of his wife, his preacher, his church... Does he have a dog? I would love to have a good debate on the man himself, but can't seem to find one.

It's grand to see you, marge!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks BH, I wish that the same ardor that is use to dissect obama should be use to dissect McCain also, after all he have a longer record and deeds that Obama will ever have, that is why the Family members become so easy a target.

I wonder if somebody will bring out a love child.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Thanks for the star, appreciated.

No... She's saying that integrated blacks are ignorant to the plight of the poor, black community that they "left behind". Read it again.

I think this sentence alone is the wrench in the wheel of society and Black White relation.

WHY? Simple.

What is racism? .. To hate someone by skin color, correct? But, imo, I believe it is much more then that. It's elitism, it's social classifying, hypocrisy and over generalization.

Blacks who do not identify with "blacks" are simply forsaking the age old question: What does it mean to be black?

And if you don't identify with the majority of blacks, you have forsaken your heritage. So when Obama says blacks are Ignorant of the plight the poor blacks go through, she is quite honestly saying that those blacks don't know what it means to be black.

We have all heard it before. "Your not black enough" ..

Is being black limited to being poor, living in a ghetto, and placing a wall between you and society?

And to break away, are you forsaking your race, or your past economic class?

I believe blacks who make something of themselves and look at the majority of blacks, the ones that receive a negative image, don't identify so much as color as they do economic and social standing. A black man with money CAN belong to the country club, rub elbows with other powerful men.. he's black, he can tell so by looking in the mirror. Why then do so many consider THAT man to be an uncle tom, as Obama did while attending college? This is the biggest problem within the black community, holding them back. Instead of idolizing those who succede, break away from the ghetto and move to the suburbs and make a life for themselves, they idolize the thugs, gangsters, rappers celebrating the ghetto and praise underachieving.

Imo, it's no different then white people forsaking those in the trailer parks and the white ghettos.. I look at an ignorant white man with just as much disgust and admittedly, feel superiority just as I do when I see an ignorant black man. Those who succeed, do not limit themselves to the color of their skin, nor the expectations of their race, but rather limit themselves to their own self determination.

Obama I believe didn't understand that. Not saying she doesn't now, but when in school she didn't. And again, I don't think it's racism so much as possible racial Marxism.

I'm white, and I made something of myself, and I don't see poor white people and think "oh gosh I got to help these people, because they are white!"

But again ... no one seems to be taking the time she wrote this into account. That I believe had a HUGE impact on her thinking. Can anyone blame her? I don't.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Excellent post, Rockpuck! Very astute. I starred your post. I agree with the vast majority of what you said. So, FF asked you, huh?

I starred his post as well. And yes, I asked him to check out my response. Rockpuck isnt' shy about telling me if I'm wrong. He's a good 'checker of my work' kinda guy.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
None of which indicates racist views.

1- I gave you an overall of my view of the thesis. I'm allowed to say whatever I wish. Sorry, but you don't dictate responses.

2 - Her lack of self esteem and the other problems she obviously has that come out in the thesis, ARE important. They give some background and reasoning as to why she is such an angry, BITTER, woman who is obsessed with her own skin color and obsessed with the (disappointing) behavior of other black skinned people. (and yes, she said she was dissapointed in them. Its' very clear)

your personal judgment of the woman is not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for the specific parts of her thesis which are being touted as "racist".

And I gave it to you.

Also OVERALL ... everything put together ... the woman produced a sour-grapes racist paper. She herself is someone who is ungrateful for the FREE Ivy League education that 'the man' gave her and she is not happy that the black people at that school ARE happy with life.

Everything here is personal judgement about what is read, heard, seen, etc ... I thought you would have figured that out by now.

That is not at all what your quote indicates. You are drastically twisting her words, as I suspected.

Wrong. It very much IS what the quote indicates. You have your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears while singing lalalalala ... as I suspected.

That is YOUR opinion, not hers.

It's her opinion .. it comes shining through.

You're assuming.

No. For a college thesis more than 22% of a return rate should be expected. It was low. I'd like to know why. Its' a side issue. But I'd like to know why.

Many black people were. Still nothing in her thesis that's racist.

He's a racist. She said she was (and is) influenced by him and his racist views. That's another log on the racist fire.

And as far as 'many black people were' ... then they were influenced by a racist as well. Just because many people do something, that doesn't excuse it.

You're taking quotes from the thesis and making them out to be racially charged.

Her whole thesis is racially charged!

it's your perception of what she surely meant.

... which is exactly what I said on page one of this thread. You have your perception and I have mine. It's a matter of interpretation. YOU choose to see what you think 'she surely meant'. And as far as I'm concerned ... what she said is very obvious.

(Even though she didn't say it)

yes she did.

It's not racism to want to help your own community. It's racism to think that people of your race are better than people of other races.

If all you want to do is help people who have the same skin color as you do, then you must think they are more worthy of help. It's racism.

you have failed to show me anything racist about her thesis.

I showed you, but you have your eyes closed.

[edit on 6/10/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm allowed to say whatever I wish. Sorry, but you don't dictate responses.

I wouldn't think of doing so. I value your input. It just didn't respond to the challenge:

And I challenge anyone to find anything in it (the thesis) that holds true to the chain email that made it out to be a racist rant.

Certainly you are free to give your opinion of the thesis and of Michelle Obama.

2 - Her lack of self esteem and the other problems she obviously has that come out in the thesis, ARE important. They give some background and reasoning as to why she is such an angry, BITTER, woman who is obsessed with her own skin color and obsessed with the (disappointing) behavior of other black skinned people. (and yes, she said she was dissapointed in them. Its' very clear)

Your opinion is noted. She does not say or indicate that she is disappointed.

(Even though she didn't say it)

yes she did.

Show me where she said "uncaring". You added that.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

And I challenge anyone to find anything in it (the thesis) that holds true to the chain email that made it out to be a racist rant.

Well word for word even, it's still a matter of perception you know.

She could say something blatantly racist, and not everyone would agree it is racist.

Even my own interpretation could easily be construed as me thinking her racist, and while I don't exactly think she is racist, at the time she was very much anti-white.

Flyer:

If you didn't alert me of good threads, I would miss them all! ..

But I to am curious as to WHY a school like Princeton would allow a thesis based on a survey with a 22% rate of return...

I find that .. VERY suspicious.. and it makes me think back to the times.. they where just trying to push as many blacks as possible through their programs to appear as if they where a liberal school who accepted change..

The fact that her thesis was ever passed looks to me as if it was 1. graded halfass and 2. waved off as unimportant to even read.. I mean.. 22%??? ..

Her ADVISOR should have been like "uh no, go redo this" .. I wouldn't accept anything under 85-90% return, and interviews being done face to face.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
And if you don't identify with the majority of blacks, you have forsaken your heritage. So when Obama says blacks are Ignorant of the plight the poor blacks go through, she is quite honestly saying that those blacks don't know what it means to be black.

I'm not sure that's what she meant. Of course we'd have to ask her to be sure, but I got the impression she meant that once someone left the poor community and went through 6 years at an Ivy League college and hung around with that group, that they lost sight and lost touch with the plight of the poor communities they left behind, Kind of like out of sight, out of mind, That was my take, anyway.

Is being black limited to being poor, living in a ghetto, and placing a wall between you and society?

I see your point and agree. And I think some black people DO feel that they have an obligation to help their own, We've heard it here and I've argued the very point you're making. But I have realized that I need to respect how they feel even though I may not agree 100% with it. I have not walked in their shoes or lived their life. (Look at us white people talking about how black people think and feel!)

And to break away, are you forsaking your race, or your past economic class?

That's the thing. I couldn't answer that. Never having been a part of that community, I can't say how I might feel if I had.

I believe blacks who make something of themselves and look at the majority of blacks, the ones that receive a negative image, don't identify so much as color as they do economic and social standing. A black man with money CAN belong to the country club, rub elbows with other powerful men.. he's black, he can tell so by looking in the mirror. Why then do so many consider THAT man to be an uncle tom, as Obama did while attending college? This is the biggest problem within the black community, holding them back. Instead of idolizing those who succede, break away from the ghetto and move to the suburbs and make a life for themselves, they idolize the thugs, gangsters, rappers celebrating the ghetto and praise underachieving.

I think it's because of that hopelessness Michelle talked about. They don't REALLY (deep down) idolize the thugs, it's just all they feel they can realistically hope to achieve. If given the opportunity, you bet they'd be at the country club! It just hurts too much to hope for that. So they idolize the rapper because lots of "make it big". You don't have to go to college (another goal that seems unattainable) to be a rapper. It's something they can realistically hope for.

And why hate the country club guy and call him uncle tom? Because he made it! Against the odds, he made it "out". I can understand that. Can you?

Obama I believe didn't understand that. Not saying she doesn't now, but when in school she didn't.

I think that's very possibly true.

I'm white, and I made something of myself, and I don't see poor white people and think "oh gosh I got to help these people, because they are white!"

Again, we (as white people) don't have the experience of being black in America and what that's like. It's been different for them. Hopefully, that's changing... I see it changing. But I think it's a little much to expect an entire race of people to start thinking and behaving from a different perspective than they've been raised to operate from.

But again ... no one seems to be taking the time she wrote this into account. That I believe had a HUGE impact on her thinking. Can anyone blame her? I don't.

I don't either, man. Thanks for the thoughtful discourse! Dude! LOL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join