It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Fastest Computer Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This thing is amazing! Could it be the non-fictional Skynet and become self-aware and start eradicating humans? LOL

It's currently in NY state, but is being moved to Los Alamos soon to work on government projects. (primarily nuclear weapons research).

External Link

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are a lot of amazing facts in that article, but this is perhaps the most amazing.

Some elements of the Roadrunner can be traced back to popular video games, said David Turek, vice president of IBM's supercomputing programs. In some ways, he said, it's "a very souped-up Sony PlayStation 3."

"We took the basic chip design (of a PlayStation) and advanced its capability," said Turek.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Meh.

No quantum no care.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Here's an interesting read on the genesis of the cell processor.

www.blachford.info/...

[edit on 9-6-2008 by primus2012]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
This thing is amazing! Could it be the non-fictional Skynet and become self-aware and start eradicating humans? LOL

It's currently in NY state, but is being moved to Los Alamos soon to work on government projects. (primarily nuclear weapons research).

External Link

Funny....I did not know this went public yet. Some of the engineers from my company helped build this. It has been a HUGE project for them. Talk about state of the art.

I believe we have been on this project for a couple years now. Very intensive and the storage for this is insane.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Cool find, but like someone mentioned before, was expecting quantum... If I'm not mistaken didn't a college put together a super computer made from power mac's? I thought that was the fastest... ?Also it's not just one computer, it's a multiple of many computers put together... oh well.. Cool find non the less...

Oh and just think how much they could have saved if they went with quad cores instead of dual cores... lol...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
And just how much faster would this make me die in online FPS games?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Im not sure why they need a computer this fast.
Do you really need to do 1,000 trillion calculations a second, and who proofs all these calculations?!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
You think it can run Vista Ultimate?

[edit on 9-6-2008 by PokeyJoe]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Funny thing is i about 10years these will probably be equivilent to the playstation 5 in technology.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
You think it can run Vista Ultimate?

[edit on 9-6-2008 by PokeyJoe]

I dont think they want it to crash every 10 miniutes so they probably used UNIX or something

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"Shall we play a game?"
"Love to"
"How about Global Thermonuclear War?"

or a very elaborate version of Defcon.

Defcon

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
ha ha right skynet sounds cool have you ever heard of the invention machine
check it out on populer science

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:23 AM