It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leave American Politics to Americans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This subject is a bit difficult for someone like me who has dual nationality (aside from US) and has been living away from the mainland for more than 2/3 of my life hehehe.

I think the most important is the inner thought, the inner self that shouts what I am.

Nevertheless,I think it is safe to say that; American politics affect not only Americans, but it affects the World.

Do I need to say more?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by eric52081
Everybody that does not live in the United States of American should stay out of discussions about the Presidential Race.

Okies. Thats fine as long as the US recalls all its troops stationed around the globe, disbands the CIA, brings its blue water Navy home, instigates fair trade agreements with all nations, acknowledges the right for certain other nations to exist in their entirity and fully joins the international court system and ratifies the Kyoto protocols and their imminent successor.

In other words, if you want us to stop expressing our opinions, then you need to mind your own business. You can't have one without the other

Its kind of sad when someone from a country that supposedly advocates freedom of speech starts to try and limit it

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I agree with the OP.

I have no problem with foreigners taking an interest in our politics, but the level of discourse by most foreigners who contribute to this board is offensive to the max.

We Americans watch with interest the politics of other nations, but for the most part I've never heard an American presume to act like foreign and domestic policy experts for other nations the way many non-Americas do.

In fact, those foreigners who distort American values and portray our nation as something other than what we are, I consider to be the enemy.

I feel the same way toward Americans who hate America, as well, so don't accuse me of xenophobia.

[edit on 2008/6/9 by GradyPhilpott]

Well said my friend.

Semper Fi

Hmmm, I cannot say anything more than whahahahahaha, and maybe a bit of teeheehee too.
"Semper fi," costly, just costly! This kind of crap always reminds me of the nazis in germany. Just like the pledge of allegiance.
Come off it, man, nationalism like this is something of the forties of last century; when people still believed that other countries were wrong and their own country always right.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but American natianalism is just as bad and wrong as German nationalism, or Russian nationalism, or any nationalism.
It is the idea that YOU are better than people around you, that is causing all wars and problems. The near-sightedness of those unwilling to grow spiritually.

Semper fi to what, actually?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by endrun
Mr. Lizard, I agree with you.

It's these kind of statements, as well as your racist thread that was shut down by the mods, that makes you appear to be ignorant - you may want to think about things more before expressing an opinion.

But you agreed with Mr. Lizard? I think what he said was more ignorant than what the OP said.

This world is to globalised for people not to be focused on the USA, we are the only world superpower (not for long), and right now we have satan serving as president, everyones pretty much focused.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Actually that's a terrible and hypocritical idea.

Unless you get out of Iraq and Afghan, then I'm afraid to say the rest of the world will be watching over your shoulder with a look of concern on their faces.

I'm terribly sorry that I've not had the 'pleasure' of living in America, but I'm very happy to say i've visited many, many wonderful places on this planet and the idea of being shot at by a fat, racist, fast-food swallowing hunter with a gun bigger than his ego doesn't really appeal to me...

Neither does waking up to find out how many kids have shot each other in the face at their local high school or your corrupt voting system, your war-mongering leaders, your delusional attitudes towards any religion that isn't christian fundamentalism and xenophobic fear towards anybody that wears a turban.

Keep your America mate, keep it.

Ah yes, the UK is the perfect utopian society. Yet, but when I started threads about issues in the UK, such as wasting half their food and how taking away guns means they're killing now each other with swords, the members from the UK wents nuts about an American posting about something we know nothing about, etc., etc.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Level playing field. Take care of your own messes first before crticizing others.

Deny hypocrisy - and all that.

[edit on 6/10/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
well... I've lived in America... And I loved living there, met some great people, made a lot of good friends, The part I lived in had it's faults, it also had it's good points. And the people were the same.

But there is one thing I'm pretty sure about. There is no way in a million years Americans should be in control of America. Don't get me wrong, It's a huge place with a huge population and I met many many intelligent well read educated globally aware people. But they were far far outnumbered by ignorant bigoted dumbasses.

I don’t know if it’s the education system, the television, the general apathy of the populace or simply the fact that they’re so loud the intelligent ones get drowned out by the braying hoards, but frankly I don’t care.

You can’t throw a rock in the US without hitting an idiot. Just look at the number of threads on this boards by American idiots, or Americans complaining other Americans are idiots. Your regarded as the worlds big dumb brother. Nice enough, useful if you need a field ploughed or a hole dug but dangerously stupid and probably incapable of looking after itself. That’s why people take such an interest in US politics. We don’t think you’re capable enough to do it yourselves. Frankly you’d be better off sticking to the heavy lifting and leaving the thinking in the hands of the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
honestly now, our loving American gov't sticks their noses in so much of other peoples business...and yet when the time comes to vote for a new president, you're insisting that nobody outside of the country has the right to voice their opinion? Ridonkulous. Every government should be looked at with a cynical eye, critical thought needs to be a part of the process....because eventually they all become corrupted, even our super special #1 American government! Nobody likes a bully, and eventually all the nerdy kids are going to get together and teach that bully a lesson. I for one am grateful that there are dissenting opinions out there. SOMEBODY needs to stand up to these crooks, and the American people by and large haven't really been stepping up to the plate nearly as much as we should. If we're so great, why are we spending trillions on an illegal war while our education, medical, and monetary systems are in shambles? It is absolutely sickening.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I am an American, and to be honest I come here to look at UFO videos and posts, but lately the front page of this site is full of hate, bigotry and just plain ignorance. It's unfortunate these baited threads get so much attention. It seems like ATS has become a breeding ground for ignorance in a seemingly sad turn of events.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm just trying to make the point that the US has enough problems of its own with out worrying about foreign policy and ideas. That is what has got us into the mess we are currently in. Let us Americans deal with the issues at hand instead of having to hear everyone else in the world contradict our every action. It seems now days that every thing that the US does is wrong. So do we ever do anything right by foreign standards. We as a nation need to decide this election on our own and without foreign influence.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The whole premisse of this thread is ludicrous. The US has an international presence and has meddled in international affairs for over a century, you can't just go back and ask the rest of the world to leave you alone. Not going to happen.

Besides, the US is so missguided and lost that it needs people pointing out from overseas where it has gone wrong. Any nation populated with intelligent people accepts constructive criticism. The problem with the US is not external interference it is not taking notice of external trends, opinions and treating the world as an asset.

Besides, culturally the US is basically a global nation, built by immigrants for immigrants, and you can't just close the borders now my friend, you are part of us. I suggest you get used to the world chipping in every now and again, it is good for you.

And lose the troll avatar, it makes you look stupid.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Everybody that does not live in the United States of American should stay out of discussions about the Presidential Race.

Okies. Thats fine as long as the US recalls all its troops stationed around the globe, disbands the CIA, brings its blue water Navy home, instigates fair trade agreements with all nations, acknowledges the right for certain other nations to exist in their entirity and fully joins the international court system and ratifies the Kyoto protocols and their imminent successor.

In other words, if you want us to stop expressing our opinions, then you need to mind your own business. You can't have one without the other

But then all other countries would have to do the same - including the fair trade agreements. Can't be just a unilateral move by the U.S. Is the rest of the world also willing to give up their military and industrial spying, etc? Not bloody likely.

So, again, until you are all ready to take care of your own internal and external issues, would it be impolite to suggest the lot of you just buzzing off?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Oh, that's what the saying was?

I thought it was "Get out of the frying pan", because of the "Out of the frying pan and into the fire" saying...

Anyway, i don't get why my fellow english brethren would have a problem with you asking a few simple questions, do you have a link to the thread?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

i love it when i see people from around the world challenging our gov.

this country is an empty shell of what it used to be...the shadow gov is destroying humanity

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Fee Fie Foe Foll

I smell the posting of a dirty little troll.

But pay no mind, his postings are whack.

He won't even vote for Obama because he is black.

He offers nothing in terms of denying ignorance,

Exploiting people's fear, anger and indifference!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Your thread and point would have been valid if it weren't for the huge amount of Permanent american military bases all over the globe.

check this map:

Back in the day that was called an Empire, and as long as the US interferes with politics/economics and ideology all over the world, then people outside of the US are going to have an opinion about it, most do and it's not pretty.

I for one Love America, but cannot agree with the actions of it's government.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by XyZeR]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Got to start my commute. Hope you don't mind if I refer you to the ATS search engine. I think you'll find plenty there.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

reply to post by mr-lizard

Why would England need our help to defend themselves against the Irish Republican Army. England had that covered easily. The United States defends the defenseless. England has quite a substantial army and can a threat from the IRA.

Eric, see the problem is, every time I use an airport or friend or family of mine have to use an airport we have to endure the results of your governments policies, of your current president. He affects the life of my family. The current economic turmoil is, I believe a result of Bushes actions, the increase in global instability is, a direct result of your countries actions. So forgive my interest and apprehension regarding the upcoming elections. I'm very interested and worried.
Not sure what you're trying to say really, about England and the IRA. See England invaded Ireland over 700 years ago and the Irish were oppressed for centuries after, the younger generations still carry the baggage of their forefathers. I'm sure something the same happens in Iraq etc. The IRA were a result of that oppression, they fought for Irish freedom. They succeeded in many ways, they killed and died in numbers, they committed many crimes, many crimes were committed on them.
They did NOT invade another country though.
They wanted Ireland to belong to the Irish. The IRA gave rise to the Provisional IRA which operated under the same pretence as the IRA but with less regard for public opinion and blind desperation. Much of this conflict has been resolved but it will be decades before the tensions in Ireland fade as there is still immense resentment.
I'm Irish I live in Ireland.
But do indulge in Irish politics to your hearts content, please though, try to make a little sense.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
But then all other countries would have to do the same - including the fair trade agreements. Can't be just a unilateral move by the U.S. Is the rest of the world also willing to give up their military and industrial spying, etc? Not bloody likely.

So, again, until you are all ready to take care of your own internal and external issues, would it be impolite to suggest the lot of you just buzzing off?

Nice way of missing the point there

The point being, that the US presidential election affects far more than the USA.

The choosing of a political leader in Russia and China - and to some extents the UK - does the same.

Should Iran appoint a moderate, or a real dedicated hardliner, you'd have a lot to say about it Centurion. I know you would - you've said an awful lot about the current guy as I recall.

Fact is that we all affect each other, one way or another and the US is the current "major player" on the world stage, which means that it attracts attention and comments from around the globe.

Given that your current President - the man in charge of the worlds most advanced military - has ordered the invasion of two countries during his current adminstration that actually posed no threat, whatsoever, to the United States of America, people are watching, waiting, and offering opinions on what is likely to happen next.

And as this is an international message board, the best I can say is deal with it

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Make no doubt about it. Europe was very anti-American before we had bases elsewhere in the world. Just a simple fact. Its not been the Cold War or Vietnam War or Iraq War that has caused Europeans to be anxious about Americans. No it has always been that way.

Read anything about America written by Europeans in the 1920s and you will get critiques of race mixing, lacking a high culture, being work obsessed consumers, and so on. Even before that if you read things written in the 19th century Americans are still regarded in this way (See for example as source: Harry Liebersohn _Aristocratic Encounters_)

If you want to view Americans in caricature, then fine and good, but don't act like it wouldn't happen were it not for US engagement with the rest of the world. To do so is simply to ignore your continent's historical experience.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Everybody that does not live in the United States of American should stay out of discussions about the Presidential Race. They are making assumptions and thoughts and theories about a Country they have never had the pleasure of living in. If you are so worried about our presidential race i suggest you move over here and deal with what real Americans have to deal with on an everyday basis. I don't talk about politics in your country so return the favor to the American People and butt out of our discussions.

i would suggest that anyone who dont live in the rest of the world should stay out of it but i wont.

plz rem that the rest of the world is watching in anticipitation to see how far the american people will let the nasty third reich progress.. sometimes it is easier to see from outside the box and i'm afraid but what happens in america affects the rest of the world or perhaps u cant see that from inside the box but let me tell u that i have no intention of stayin out of american politics.. when my pc is assaulted with this dribble and poppy cock i intend to speak out.. i am sorry but if u cant take an interest in local affairs ie. (on this planet) well that is ur loss.. at this stage the third reich has amassed so much power it may take the rest of the world to take it down.. some day u may be thanking us for taking an interest in what should be your domain..

peace n luv
daz

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join