It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Above and Beyond the call...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Lieutenant Micheal Murphy, United States Navy.

Lieutenant Micheal Murphy.

Cpl. Jason Dunham, United States Marine Corps.

Cpl. Jason Dunham.

Just two of the 138 recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Two people to be admired for what they are: True American Heroes. The links above tell a little about both these fine young men who died so that others might live...

Lt. Micheal Murphy, US Navy SEAL. Lost his life after suffering wounds while trying to call for help during a mission in Afghanistan. He abandoned cover to get into a clearing to get clear of interference to his radio.

Cpl. Jason Dunham, United State Marine. Lost his life while diving on a grenade. He did so to save fellow Marines. He died of the wounds 8 days later.

Once upon a time, these men and other's like them were deservedly revered as heroes by the American public. Names like Alvin York, Audie Murphy, Eddie Rickenbacker, Richard Bong, Dick McGuire, "Chesty" Puller, and many others were as well known to us as any Hollywood starlet.

What's happened? Now we hear nothing... The courage remains the same, that hasn't changed. No less now, than it was then. So what's changed? Are we, as a whole, so self absorbed in our own little worlds that we have lost the ability to respect just what these people...these heroes...have to show us by their examples?

Is selfless courage so passe now that it's uncool to respect, no to revere, these men and women?

Contrast, if you will, these two young men, and the 136 others with the press created "heros" we have shoved down our throats. It's the latter that come out looking less than impressive.

Bravest of the Brave.

I just found this quotation that seems somehow so very appropriate.

"I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"
Prophet Isaiah.

[edit on 6/9/2008 by seagull]

join