It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resveratrol in Red Wine Found To Keep Hearts Young

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Resveratrol in Red Wine Found To Keep Hearts Young

www.sciencedaily.com

eDaily (Jun. 8, 2008) — How, scientists wonder, do the French get away with a clean bill of heart health despite a diet loaded with saturated fats?

The answer to the so-called "French paradox" may be found in red wine. More specifically, it may reside in small doses of resveratrol, a natural constituent of grapes, pomegranates, red wine and other foods, according to a new study by an international team of researchers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-6-2008 by grover]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I alway knew there was a valid excuse to being an Xpensive wino.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I've been trying to find the right place to buy this for a while now. You just never know which is best as some sell capsules, some tablets and I also think some sell a liquid.

I'd hate to be spending my money only to find out it's a waste. I also am trying to find out the right dosage as it would seem the people that sell it want you to use it as fast as possible.

We all know that there are people out there that sell useless natural supplements. I've read that only certain grapes have Resveratrol and then only certain regions have it in more concentrated quantities in the grapes.

I also can't find a straight answer as to the average amount of Resveratrol in a glass of wine.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You can be sure that this is just a way to get people to drink more wilne.
Keep in mind that there is not likely any "pure" wine anymore. It all has some kind of chemical additives in it. Why not just buy grape juice? However even that has chemical additives, and the grapes, well, who knows what has been sprayed or fed to them. I do eat a bowl full a day tho. I wash them with Ivory soap hoping to wash off what shouldn't be there.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

en.wikipedia.org...
The levels of resveratrol found in food varies greatly. Red wine contains between 0.2 and 5.8 mg/L,[10] depending on the grape variety, while white wine has much less — the reason being that red wine is fermented with the skins, allowing the wine to absorb the resveratrol, whereas white wine is fermented after the skin has been removed.[8] Wines produced from muscadine grapes, however, both red and white, may contain more than 40 mg/L.[11][3]

There's also a chart of the resveratrol content in each type of wine at that link. Hope it's helpful.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
GRAPE JUICE???

Grape juice is a total waste of potentially good wine.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Yea, I found all that info although I didn't see a chart so I will go back and check that out. Thanks!

One thing I found was that not all red grapes have the same levels.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thanks Grover!

I'll be picking up a nice Red Zin on my way home this evening.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What scientists don't want to admit is that it's the ALCOHOL in the wine that is doing the good. People that have 4 drinks of alcohol a day have a WAY lowered risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and a few other things.

It doesn't matter whether it is whiskey, red wine, white wine, rum, vodka, or beer, it's the ALCOHOL.

The reason they (being big pharma and doctors) don't want you to know this is because ALCOHOL IS RELATIVELY CHEAP.

40 years ago, my mother had a kidney infection that would not clear up with antibiotics. Know what our family doctor prescribed for her? Beer! He told her to drink 4 or 5 a day all spread out. Now, my mother is not one to drink. In all my life, I believe I have seen her drink MAYBE 5 drinks of an alcoholic beverage. Guess what? It cleared up her kidney infection in about 2 weeks, IIRC. Can you IMAGINE very many doctors prescribing that today? Of course not, because big pharma would lose out on the the expensive antibiotics. What did the "cure" cost her? About $30-$50 in today's money, plus NO side effects.

Same thing with tobacco. Want to halt or reverse Alzheimers or Parkinsons? Take up smoking.

For those that do not believe this, look up "beneficial effects of smoking". The harm from smoking comes from what is added to the "tobacco" (which isn't really tobacco at all in almost all cigarettes), but reconstituted tobacco. What that means is that they chop it all up, turn it into a slurry, add tons of chemicals, put it in giant sheets to bake, then chop it up to look like tobacco.

Most people that hate cigarette smoke will still tolerate, like, or even love the smell of pipe tobacco, and good cigars.

Tobacco, Alcohol, and Coffee are good for you in moderate amounts. I suspect that marijuana too, would have beneficial effects in moderation. We do know that marijuana decreases pain, and boosts the mood and, most importantly, the APPETITE in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Dude, that makes no sense! Neither doctors or prescription pharmaceutical companies make any money off of natural supplements.

new topics

top topics

join