It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth - Drifting away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
When you tie an object (say a ball) to a piece of rope and swing in around, what do you get? The ball goes around you in a circle. Not earth-shaking science. What happens when you let go of the rope? The ball goes of in one or other direction. No more circle. Still nothing exciting here, right?

We’ve known for quite some time now that the moon is drifting away from earth. The moon is spiralling away from Earth at a rate of 38 mm per year to be precise. And we know this because of the Lunar laser ranging experiment.

As is Saturn’s rings drifting away from the planet:

Saturn's rings are unstable. They gradually drift outward, and disruption from bombardment could mean that they could not last more than 10,000 years. The rings cannot be billions of years old.

Source

As is the whole universe expanding as it is “moving away from the centre.
Metric expansion of space

It seems that the nature of turning and spinning objects is to go “outwards”, right? Perhaps this can be best described by the theory of Spherical pendulum and Angular Momentum.

So wouldn’t this indicate that the earth may also be drifting away from the sun? What would this mean?

Would it not mean everything? Constant changes. A hole in the whole “global warming” debacle? Perhaps global warming would have been worse, were it not for the fact that we’re drifting away from the sun? And inevitably an “icy planet” which could mean the end of life should we not adapt?

The matter of the fact is that the earth’s spin around its own axes is also slowing down, which could mean that the outward drift may be increasing exponentially?

All that said, at the speed at which “drifts” take place (such as that of the moon) no-one around here will still be around when the planet reaches a critical point of extinction…

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaspode

I remember hearing that the Earth is infact getting closer to the sun, not further away. lol, I don't know much about physics n'all that though, so don't quote me on that

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Interesting concept. I'll have to look into the possibility. Does anyone have any additional data on this?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I believe the sun will burn out long before the earth drifts away. In other words, the length of time required to drift any significant distance is astronomical.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Is my theory really that boring? Only two replies?
Thanks for reading guys!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well assuming no "End Of The World" happens at the rate it drift away it will probaly give enough time to the sun to turn into a giant red and start expanding soo.... but if our race make it this far I dont see why we're bothering with that fact when this will happen they'll be digging our bones and making fun of our technology calling us dumb apes...

new topics

top topics

join