It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines To Begin martial Law Training in Indianapolis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Under the guise of urban warfare training the 26th Expeditionary Unit an elite group of U.S. Marines will conduct a martial law training exercise at 26 “surrendered” locations in central Indiana from June 4th thru the 17th. While state officials and media are doing their best to assure the public that this military takeover of civilian property is somehow a good thing, ignoring the Posse Comitatus Act which fundamentally prohibits these types of exercises. These two weeks of training are also a contradiction of military tradition against deployments among the civilian population dating back to the end of the Civil War. Why then are the citizens of Indianapolis and six other Indiana towns being made to take part in two weeks of patrols and ambushes?

www.dailynewscaster.com...

with the US empire becoming an increasingly corporatized fascist plutocracy
it is now , possibly preparing for the final showdown , that is against its freeminded citizens .
Recently the US Government Quit the UN human rights council , thus exposing the fact that it considers itself above human rights , and exposed its true fascist face:

www.humanrights-geneva.info...

theres a Thread on ATS related to this US Quits UN Human Rights Council

This is a major disaster in the history of human rights , as it exposes the true hypocrisy of US govt ...

so now USA may no longer be bound by Geneva conventions

Mod Edit - All Caps Title
Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

the orginal article is from indystar :
www.indystar.com.../20080528/LOCAL18/805280444

[edit on 9-6-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Total claptrap and fearmongering.

Ya need to grow up kiddo.

Think for yourself do not think as someone else does.

See it for what it is not for what you want it to be.

THE END.

Lee

[edit on 9-6-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

What? The Daily Newscaster is such an impartial and respected source for journalism! How could it not be true?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Do you have any other links to this activity ? maybe a more mainstream news outlet covered this ?

I do not agree with urban training being done amongst the civil population as thats some thing small children should never see - It would be like us in the early 90's doing FIBU (FISH + CHIPS) amongst townies in York city centre. It would never be tolerated - period.

“That in the interest of national security the sights and sounds of war will be brought to Indianapolis.”

Thats what alarms me about this, and if this can be backed up then your thread needs to be widely read.

Till then i'll reserve judgement. Daniel.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It appears as though someone is expecting unintelligent humans to riot. Why would this happen? Maybe something controversial is going to happen in the near future that may influence people to riot and protest.

If you are innocent, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just remember, U.S. Marines are humans too.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

Ya need to grow up kiddo.

Think for yourself do not think as someone else does.

See it for what it is not for what you want it to be.

THE END.

Lee

Em, that's a pretty unproductive response and contributes nothing to the discussion. Why grow up?? What is childish about watching your own army play war games where they take over your own citizens? If you have nothing to contribute that adds to the discussion then you may be the one that needs to 'grow up'.

Anyways, It seems that some people in Indiana aren't happy at this and there has been some protests, although not as much as we all would've hoped.

an article from the Indy Star says Marine drills will include Hollywood-style effects.

Arabic-speaking actors have been hired to play villagers and hostile insurgents

So what are they aiming at here? Mock-drills for urban warfare in Arabic countries played out in the US (completely different terrain)? Or mock-arabs for urban warfare drills against US citizens? I certainly don't think Arabs are going to be invading the US any time soon, so this doesn't make sense.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have no aversion to our troops being trained for any number of combat situations. The fact they are using real settings instead of thrown together false front building, gives the soldier a better understanding of tactics.

Using Arabic Speaking actors as props. Golly, the average American shouldn't be too concerned. If the "American" didn't speak English, I may have some concern if I was them. Too bad they didn't use Spanish actors, then we could gauge where this was really going.

Other than trying to stir up people with all kinds of anti-military ideas, I see no reason for this article.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I was attacted to this post because of the title, "Marines To Begin Marital Law Training in Indianapolis "
I guess even Marines have to learn about the finer points of marriage...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I was attacted to this post because of the title, "Marines To Begin Marital Law Training in Indianapolis "
I guess even Marines have to learn about the finer points of marriage...

hahahahaha well spotted. Typo - well, we are all guilty of it at times!

But still cannot see why they need to use real live towns and not training areas.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

here it is :
this is from indystar:

Marines bringing combat training to Indy
By Vic Ryckaert

U.S. Marine helicopters will land at the old Eastgate Consumer Mall, Brookside Park and other Indianapolis locations when the city becomes a mock battlefield next week.

About 2,300 Marines from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., will conduct urban warfare training from Wednesday through June 19 in and around Indianapolis.
Advertisement

Most of the troops will be deployed at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and the Raytheon facility on Holt Road, said Debbi Fletcher of the Indianapolis/Marion County Emergency Management Agency.

“We don’t want anyone thinking that there’s an invasion happening or that we declared martial law or something like that,” Fletcher said.

The Marines have been cleared by state, federal and local authorities, Fletcher said. The unit’s commander promised to try to keep noise to a minimum and give neighbors plenty of warning.

“Our aim in Indianapolis is to expose our Marines to realistic scenarios and stresses posed by operating in an actual urban community, thereby increasing their proficiency in built-up areas,” Col. Mark J. Desens, commander of the 26th MEU, said in a statement. “While some of the activity will take pl

Text
ace around Camp Atterbury, residents in many areas can expect to see helicopters flying overhead, military vehicles on the roads and Marines patrolling on foot,” Desens said.

The Marines will practice firing weapons, conducting patrols, running vehicle checkpoints, reacting to ambushes and employing nonlethal weapons, according to a statement.

In addition to Eastgate and Brookside Park, Indianapolis offered the Marines 24 other training sites, including Raymond Park Middle School, Ellenberger Park, Christian Park, Southeastway Park, the old Bush Stadium and Douglass Park.

However, not all cities are so open to the training. In February, after first canceling scheduled training, Toledo (Ohio) Mayor Carty Finkbeiner invited the Marines to train in the city, but outside the downtown area.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Call Star reporter Vic Ryckaert at (317) 444-2761.
www.indystar.com.../20080528/LOCAL18/805280444

Indianapolis To Become "Mock Battlefield"
Circle City to be site of three week long urban warfare training

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Thursday, May 29, 2008

Propel This! - Submit to Propeller.com

StumbleUpon

Indianapolis will become a "mock battlefield" for the next three weeks according to local press, as over two thousand marines will stage a huge urban warfare training exercise in and around the city.

About 2,300 Marines from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., will conduct urban warfare training from Wednesday through June 19 in and around Indianapolis, reports the Indy Star.

The marines have been granted permission by state, federal and local authorities to fire weapons, conduct patrols, run vehicle checkpoints, react to ambushes and employ nonlethal weapons after landing helicopters and deploying throughout various parks, stadiums and fairgrounds.

“We don’t want anyone thinking that there’s an invasion happening or that we declared martial law or something like that,” Debbi Fletcher of the Indianapolis/Marion County Emergency Management Agency commented.

“Our aim in Indianapolis is to expose our Marines to realistic scenarios and stresses posed by operating in an actual urban community, thereby increasing their proficiency in built-up areas,” Col. Mark J. Desens, commander of the 26th MEU, said in a statement. “While some of the activity will take place around Camp Atterbury, residents in many areas can expect to see helicopters flying overhead, military vehicles on the roads and Marines patrolling on foot,” Desens said.

(Article continues below)

Indianapolis is seemingly welcoming the marines with open arms, in stark contrast to the last story of this nature we reported on in Toledo, Ohio where Mayor Carty Finkbeiner expelled the members of Company A, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines back in February because he did not think it a good idea to have uniformed soldiers drilling in a highly visible area as it may have disrupted and frightened residents.

The Mayor was subsequently castigated by the mainstream media for taking the decision.

In response to the criticism and even small protests in Toledo, Finkbeiner said “Anybody who suggests that this man is in some way, shape, or form not loyal to this country or not loyal to the military of this country, well that person is just a plain baboon who doesn’t know me in any way, shape, or form and what I stand for,”

It is a well documented that the use of military for law enforcement violates the Posse Comitatus Act. The increased spate of urban warfare drills has many fearing that this long standing law is slowly being eroded and everyday Americans becoming acclimatized to the idea of an active military in their towns and cities.

The military has purpose built facilities for training, it is unacceptable and unlawful to have troops training on the streets of towns and cities in America. Nevertheless, the media routinely castigates the idea of preventing it from occurring.

Reporting on this saga, Jim Kouri of NewsWithViews.com interviewed former and current police chiefs who believe the motive for training US troops inside American cities is more sinister:

“The police power has traditionally been reserved for the states. The fact that we’re allowing military troops to train in US cities is a violation of that tradition. We don’t need federal troops to intervene in matters that should be handled by local police officers, state troopers and the National Guard,” one former detective states.

“The increasing use of Urban Warfare Training Exercises, I believe, desensitizes both the public to the deployment of military forces in their own neighborhoods,” warns a police chief, whose mayor endorses the use of military forces within the US.

“It also desensitizes military and police personnel so that they will accept what was once considered unacceptable,” another police chief comments.

We have previously documented the coordinated program of urban warfare drilling in America and how such activity has increased in tandem with an growing effort to erode the ancient law of Posse Comitatus.

In 911: The Road to Tyranny Alex Jones presents footage of troops training to put Americans into Concentration Camps. This footage includes interrogations and a retired Marine admitting that in 1988 he was kicking down doors in Norfolk, Virginia. The Marines would be ordered to the local Police station where they would don Police uniforms. They would then go to the local gun shop or dealers home and "Take Them Down."

In Alex Jones' feature Police State 2000 he covers Operation Urban Warrior where actors posed as American citizens who were Unconstitutionally seized from their homes by the military and police. These Americans: were rounded up and confined behind barbed-wire.

The actors were told to demand to be let free and state that they had rights. They were also told to demand food and water. The troops in turn were taught to ignore them and to order them to behave in an orderly fashion. "Civil disobedience will not be tolerated" was one of the many disturbing statements heard to emanate from the military's loud speakers.

Over the years there have been countless drills of this nature. The media simply reports them as training for dealing with foreign enemies, yet the volunteers and the participants are always told differently.

Here's a report on another urban warfare drill entitled "The Millennium Challenge 2002". This drill was conducted secretly across 26 States in 2002.

In 2005 details of just one of many Military operations on American soil was exposed in the run up to Bush's second coronation. A secret counterterrorism program code-named Power Geyser. A small group of super-secret commandos were hidden among 13000 police and troops and "stood ready with state-of-the-art weaponry to swing into action.".

There have been literally thousands of these kind of operations in the planning and going on for years now. Many designed to use the military on the streets of American cities in direct violation of Posse Comitatus. The Pentagon has a full Command in operation working on these activities, the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).

We have seen how new provisions will effectively nullify the U.S. constitution, and a recent spate of executive orders, in particular PDD 51, outline preparations for the implementation of open martial law in the event of a declared national emergency.

The Pentagon has "War Plans" drafted in the event of any type of terror attack, which would be coordinated by Northcom in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security and would involve martial law and thousands of troops on the streets
infowars.net...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I wondered after reading all the above, "how many Marines recently recruited can spell Indianapolis?

Don't know why I thought of that.

But, what cha goona do? All kinds of trainnings going on in the military. Was when I was in and always will be. Just like the info introduced on UFO crashes in the "Fireman's manual", all kinds of ways to spend the tax payer's money.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
I wondered after reading all the above, "how many Marines recently recruited can spell Indianapolis?

Don't know why I thought of that.

I know many U.S. Marines that can not only spell Indianapolis, but form the letters into a song, sing it backwards, while rebuilding an M-16A2 rifle with their eyes closed, while subconsciously figuring out a way to kill any threat that may stop them from doing it.

You do know that some U.S. Marines are the smartest people on the planet right? They are so disciplined and in control of themselves they can do any goal they want. How dare you look down on them all as being idiots. In every school, you have your A students and your F students. In the Marine Corps, you have your A students and your C students, and anything less is not a true Marine.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Lovers of freedom in Indianapolis, I ask you to peacefully arm yourselves with your video cameras while you are still free to do so, and get as much YouTube video of this event as possible.

Help us all prepare. This is a fantastic opportunity to study their tactics. Let's recon this event to it's fullest extent.

How will they come at us? What are their numbers? What kind of equipment? Where do they place their road blocks?

How do they feed themselves? Do they outsource their water?

Can they be seduced by the native women?

After all, it is you, the free citizens of the area that they will be after for real the next time you see them.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

The marines have been granted permission by state, federal and local authorities to fire weapons, conduct patrols, run vehicle checkpoints, react to ambushes and employ nonlethal weapons after landing helicopters and deploying throughout various parks, stadiums and fairgrounds.

After reading this I would be very wary of staying in town.

EMPLOY NONLETHAL WEAPONS.. Tha means USE. Against who ? the locals ? oh friggin great...

and as for the authorities saying they don' want folks to think its martial law... well what happens if you say to the marines STFU and get out my way playing soldiers ruining my business making me late ?

Yeah your gonna get slapped stupid and taserd or microwaved for 'dissent'.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
But still cannot see why they need to use real live towns and not training areas.

Simple. Realism.

I have many many many hours put into a game called "Americas Army". Also, many hours in games like "Battlefield 2" and "Rouge Spear". Just about every multi-player military first person shooter that exists, I have played it along side many perfect strangers.

From personal experience, I have found that some of the "maps" or "levels" that were designed to represent a training course actually are nothing like the real cities. In mock training grounds you have fake empty buildings, fake streets, and lots of missing detail. Although its good to know how to manage your way through fake scenery, it is nothing like managing your way through real life scenery. This is why I prefer to play in the maps and levels that represent real urban citys, you learn much more.

In mock training grounds, there is no street lamps, street signs, man holes, odd shaped buildings, different signs and advertising, different car's, different walls made of different materials, different nooks and crannies, differently designed streets and highways and bypasses. I can go on and on, but the point is, there are lots of things in real cities that you can not "fake" in a mock training course.

Also, it would cost a great amount of money to make a realistic training ground. It's best to just train in a realistic environment because you can learn how to adapt to real life designs. Fake training grounds are not designed to simulate real working life designs.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

You tellimg me that the US Marines don't have a dedicated FIBU facility ?

The above is CopeHill down, a place many an infanteer will be familiar with. Are you saying that you need to use real streets instead of a safe training ground to 'be real' ?

No. As a trained combat Rifleman I say thats BS. We never needed to use real streets and real places to learn, and the British Army are the worlds best at FIBUA.

Theres no need for this at all. if you want an enemy well get some paras in to play enemy - that'll keep you really on your toes. (and they love a damned good scrap)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

I spent 26 years in a Marine family father and brother both Marines, I lived on many Navy and Marine bases. (and myself many years in the US Navy during war time with honors and peace time in the reserves)

I image (as I said, it crossed my mind, can't help that you know!) it crossed my mind while reading the above post because of the "recent changes suggested in easing up on recruiting standards to get the numbers up -recruiting guidelines an example would be... the recruiters new rules are going to let 'some' previously convicted felons join the service and dumb down the qualifications in order to "bring up the current enlistment quota" which is going down because lots folks (with-out criminal records or folks that finished education, high school etc...) don't want to go in the military at this time. That’s all...I'm just saying I wonder if the Marine corps (and other services) is 'dummying down with the new standards ? Easing-up on the the "New Recruit's qualifications" - ( which could ultimately cause a few recruits bad spelling habits? or NCOS more work ?? ) anyway.. I'm just wondering that’s all...don't you ever wonder (good Neil Young song -'wondering' ) .that’s it.

Sorry to get you all in a wound-up!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
You tellimg me that the US Marines don't have a dedicated FIBU facility ?

No I am actually quite familiar with the FIBU facility, actually a group of friends of mine across the globe made an exact replica of that facility into a virtual 3D environment, and we know the layout quite well.

But look closely, the streets are designed like a small town in the middle of nowhere, and it doesn't even come close to the detail of a real working urban city. That facility is a TOWN, not a CITY. The streets are laid out like they still use horse and carriages, and there are no street signs and other things you would see in a real city. Also, the facility was not designed to mock an actual working city, and it's fakness is so easily memorized that it doesn't take any skill at all to adapt to that small town.

In real life city environments you have actually rows of houses, actual working streets, and clutter. You also have different color houses, different types of houses, you have dark windows that reflect lights, and lots of places where shadows exist. In that FIBU facility, you can not get the same type of training that you can in a real life city scape. No matter how much you want to argue that point, it's true.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Can someone tell me how this is a true statement?

ignoring the Posse Comitatus Act which fundamentally prohibits these types of exercises.

BTW, didn't we discuss a similar topic around here a few months back?

Does anyone know the specific units involved? Last time that they did something like this it was so that the Reservists can get this training without expending their entire budget just to transport people to another training facility.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
training is good but once a home owner wants to defend his home he built with blood and sweat, well its a whole different ball game, the so called actors have nothing to loose, some things you just cant teach (ie. live fire)

new topics

top topics

join