It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't see any of his posts!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
ohhhh... so it's an anti-spamming, anti-flaming, peace-kepping application. well, that does make me feel better, so thank you, Banshee. in terms of that, keep up the good work with keeping this board free of chaotic BS.
but it's still a double-egded sword, and I honestly hope it's not used to restrict information. i really like this board and think it is the best one out there. no buttkissing intended, as this is how I really feel and have felt since I registered in August
[Edited on 3/3/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

Nothing to do with restricting information. Believe me, that's not something anyone at ATS wants.

It's hard to find a nice middle-ground when faced with those who make ATS a less-fun place by being abusive or hateful or mean or whatever. Outright banning a person is a complete last resort, and not something that happens frequently. Giving someone time to cool down and rethink the way they interact with people (via this type of ignore) often times results in a formerly disruptive poster "reigning in" their anger.

I understand where everyone is coming from on this, and all I can ask you to do is take me at my word that:
1. A lot of thought and effort was put into the system as a whole when faced with disruptive members
2. A lot of thought and effort is exerted each time a problem arises.
3. 99% of the time, an ignore is not permanant. There are quite a few current, very active members who've had this sort of "time out" and who are now contributing regularly to ATS.

-B.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Banshee, I understand you and the other forum staff are doing this for the best of ATS. However something such as global ignore may be best for most members on ATS but not for others. I really hope you consider letting members have the option of un-ignoring people on global ban.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In all fairness i think this issue is under consideration.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I will drink to that one drunk, that would be great!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I also think the purpose of Global ignore is so that Lurkers/non-members who are considering joining dont see the posts that are degrading.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
I also think the purpose of Global ignore is so that Lurkers/non-members who are considering joining dont see the posts that are degrading.

I can see the logic in that. But you gotta jump in the pool some time.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer I agree with you on that one Elite, we should have a choice.
Sorry, but members who turn abusive risk this action.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer I don't think it should effect his previous posts.
This action, as has been discussed, was taken due to a turn-for-the-worst in his recent behavior. Since we have not heard from him (he can still U2U), the action has not changed.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer I think Eo has a point, a temp ban makes more sense than just ignoring someone, to just ignore seems sort of like a slap in the face to me.
This member current ignored already experienced a temporary ban some weeks ago. This current situation represents an escalation of the problem.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer
I agree with you on that one Elite, we should have a choice.

Do you think this is a democracy?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega IMHO, it just shouldnt happen on a board like this where topics of a diverse nature are discussed on a common basis. -snip- Quite simply, it is overkill and unnecessarily provocative, dont you think?
Oh please... everyone should be aware of this: www.abovetopsecret.com... And especially this part: Lastly, and most important, this is a privately owned discussion board community. The administration and senior moderator staff reserve the right to take action against any member who is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption. This action may include complete banning of your username and IP address. ATS is not the personal free-for-all of a handful of members who enjoy becoming abusive from time to time.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti but I dont think his previous posts should be unreadable....that is information control
It's "community decorum control". At this point, Neo has not responded with his intent. We will likely simply apply a ban, delete his abusive posts, and remove the ignore. But as is fair, we allow him time to communicate his intentions first.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I thought all he did was 'perceived' whining.

So now both THENEO & MA have to beg for mercy like energy_wave.

Hmm.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's "community decorum control".

At this point, Neo has not responded with his intent. We will likely simply apply a ban, delete his abusive posts, and remove the ignore. But as is fair, we allow him time to communicate his intentions first.

You can't get fairer than that even if this isn't a democracy.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Questor So now both THENEO & MA have to beg for mercy like energy_wave.
Beg for mercy? In what why? MA posted a (intended funny) insult in a thread asking for such things to stop... bad timing. In his case, it's a posting ban. NEO twice became abusive when not winning the way above award... a pattern... so ignore-and-posting-ban was applied. We made both members aware such action was temporary. Neither have communicated their intentions. We wait.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
MA, really was playing, you could tell he was talking about your avatar.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra MA, really was playing, you could tell he was talking about your avatar.
And... then... why not let me know?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
MA, really was playing, you could tell he was talking about your avatar.

And... then... why not let me know?

Very good question.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
undoubtedly Theneo is quite a pain.....he added quite well to some of my posts but it does not surprise me that he whined about not getting the way above award.
Surely he is of quite high intellect and it would seem that the ego of most high intellects wants to be recognized and given credit......unless of course they are capable of separating their intellect from their desires......not an easy task...albeit that the path is simple but hard to tread......i liked very much some of his postings on many forums and would like to see him come back to ATS and would at least like to see his additions that did not involve said problems.

He will post again.....it just may take time

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
According to his profile, THENEO has been banned.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join