It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. civil war...who was right?n or s?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
You know, I've been hearing recently that the civil war was about States' Rights. Usually from people in the South. I think that's absolute BS. From my studies, and according to much of what I've read, one way or another, the war was caused by the practice of slavery and the desire to expand it or keep it.

PS- And NEVER tell me I don't know my history...

[Edited on 3/3/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
No the war had little to do with slavery...That was just something being used as a reason for the other side to fight the other side...

The war was about how the federal government wanted to completly have control over all the states regardless of the will of the people.

P.S.Ill do as I please thanx

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You know, I'm going to cut this "discussion" short right here. I've been having to deal with this state's rights argument in the South for years, I'm not interested in discussing it online.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well thanks for coming here to make an opinion and then not back it up in the least!!
thanks...your input was completly pointless as you have been no help except that you "disagree" thanx..please add some more of your quality input anytime.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
Well thanks for coming here to make an opinion and then not back it up in the least!!
thanks...your input was completly pointless as you have been no help except that you "disagree" thanx..please add some more of your quality input anytime.

Why are you being a dick? You couldn't just leave it at that could you? Just because you're in the mudpit doesn't mean you have to act like an ass!

Back it up? Why should I? You didn't back yours up. And what does some stupid link mean anyway. If you look you can find a link that "backs up" any position no matter how wrong.

You started with the idea that "Federal government bad" so since in your mind the South was fighting against the United States government they were good. Most people think slavery is bad nowadays so the war COULDN'T have had ANYTHING to do with that, because the Confederates were shining freedom fighters.

If this state's rights # is more important to you than the enslavement of human beings for manual labor, then I suggest you revisit your priorities.

[Edited on 3/3/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
hey hey - you all need to chill out

PS - the civil war had very little to do with slavery - if you would like some reasoning behind it I would be glad to share as long as you are willing to listen

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yo, I'm ALL about listening....

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I didnt start with "the federal goverment bad...the south were shinning freedom fighters"

I stated that the south was fighting the federal governments attemt to take complete control of america..which they did and now none one is free..

and please..dont act like am pro-slavery ok...thats just stupid

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I never said you were pro-slavery. It's just that cutting though all the reasoning and causes, for me it comes down to the fact that the CSA was a slave owning "nation" and the North freed the slaves. I know there might have been other motives for the emancipation such as preventing other nations from getting involved, but that doesn't really matter. They did the right thing and the south did the wrong thing.

After all, weren't all men supposed to be "created equal"?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Its not about slavery..its about the federal governments absolute dominance over the states...each individual state was able to make their own desicion on these issues...

Slavery could have been stopped without complete federal control over every single thing that happens to us in our own states...

Even today we still have huge problems with the federal government forcing its will upon states even when the states people legally voted for something...the federal government pays no heed to the wishes of the states nor its people...thats what the war was about

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The civil war was over economics - the north was forcing the south to sell goods at lower prices then they shoould to sustain the industrial based north. War broke out when Fort Sumpter was shelled by South Carolina - the reason they did this is because the North sent Naval ships to the south to collect a Tariff it had imposed on the South.

If you want a more detailed explination, check out this page

In all seriousness though - the war was never about slavery - it was about what most wars are about - money!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

It's just that cutting though all the reasoning and causes, for me it comes down to the fact that the CSA was a slave owning "nation" and the North freed the slaves

Did your time life books mention the fact that several northen states had slaves?

Did it mention that old Abe said that if the south would reunite they could keep their slaves? He himself admitted that it was NEVER about slaves.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Did it mention that old Abe said that if the south would reunite they could keep their slaves? He himself admitted that it was NEVER about slaves.

Bravo...

Just like any war, it was about economics...

The Union wanted more control over state economics, and abolishing slavery was one way to do this... It wasn't slave ownership that made the South unite, it was due to the fact that most Southern states (which were the main crop exporters), had completely different laws as needed for their completely different economic base... As was mentioned, several northern states had slaves, as did many of the founding fathers...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Anyone else surprised NOT to see the Colonel add his two cents worth to this issue?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I haven't added my 2 cents because I know you were trying to bait me. Furthermore, I couldn't give 2 #s about the Civil War. I was born in the West Indies.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I haven't added my 2 cents because I know you were trying to bait me. Furthermore, I couldn't give 2 #s about the Civil War. I was born in the West Indies.

What is there to bait? You are just a rascist, plain and simple. I just figured you would jump all over the topic and talk about persecution and all that.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Now, this is funny. I haven't said ANYTHING on the subject but now I'm a racist. Ok. Whatever.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Now, this is funny. I haven't said ANYTHING on the subject but now I'm a racist. Ok. Whatever.

I base that on two things:
1. Your other postings to various topics.
2. Your title.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
My other postings? Because I said jesus was black? That the Jews were black? Now, I'm a racist? Taht repugnants are pigs? This makes me a racist? Ok. Whatever.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Your title "takin down the Man" has been used by militant rascists for a long time. Do you deny that?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join