It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomatoe Scare resulting in a recall

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I have learned that tomatoes are now being recalled due to an outbreak of Salmonella.

Some salads will be without the colorful red tomato as the fruit was recalled this week during a Salmonella scare.

The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) said Wednesday that that federal, state and local authorities are investigating a multi-state outbreak of the Saintpaul strain of the Salmonella bacteria.

A multi state outbreak, like the green onions recently.

I have daughters that work at fast food restuarants, Taco Bell and Papa Murphy's pizza. Both places have been notified not to serve tomatoes
already in the store or to buy anymore!

Until the specific source of the illnesses is determined, health officials advise that people with increased risk of severe infection including infants, the elderly and those with impaired immune systems not eat any raw Roma or full-sized round tomatoes other than those sold attached to the vine or grown at home.

www.panews.com...

Here is another source with a video clip.

www.clipsyndicate.com...

clipsyndicate.com...

These articles I presented are from June 4th and 5th.

This is actually the first I heard of it today, and I didn't get alot of hits on google, but I suppose we will see.

I find it interesting that Taco Bell never has returned green onions to thier menu after the scare last year. This could potentially be a very big deal, I mean what would we do without KETCHUP???

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The patented Quayle slip, well, almost.
At least Statler and Waldorf will have plenty of ammunition for Fozzie Bear now.

All kidding and past pop culture references aside, I haven't heard about this either.

Makes me glad I ordered extra diced tomatoes on my carnitas burrito the other day.

[edit on 6/9/2008 by apolluwn]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I saw this on the news but at work nothing has been mentioned, but what has been mentioned in the last year are:

the peanut butter scare
the spinach scare 1 and 2
several beef recalls
Iceberg lettuce
Canalopes from Honduras

Wow check this out!

June 7, 2008

FDA Warns Consumers Nationwide Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes
June 5, 2008

Kraft Foods Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Tree Nuts In Post LiveActive Mixed Berry Crunch Cereal
June 3, 2008

FDA Warns Consumers in New Mexico and Texas Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes
May 30, 2008

Fresca Italia, Inc., Recalls Burrata Because of Possible Health Risk

Abbott Announces Voluntary Worldwide Recall of Two Lots of Calcilo XD Low-Calcium/Vitamin D-Free Infant Formula with Iron Powder in 14.1-Ounce (400g) Cans
May 29, 2008

International Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Issues a Voluntary Recall of all Viril-Ity-Power (VIP) Tabs, a Product Marketed as a Dietary Supplement
May 28, 2008

Orval Kent Foods Recalls Single Limited Production Run of Amish Macaroni Salad Sold Under the Orval Kent and Yoder’s Brand Names
May 27, 2008

FDA Requests Recall of Xiadafil VIP Tabs

Supreme Cuts Announces Voluntary Recall of Small Sample of Off The Cob Fresh Kernel Corn
May 23, 2008

FDA Warns Consumers Against Using Mommy's Bliss Nipple Cream
May 16, 2008

FDA Obtains Permanent Injunction Against Scientific Laboratories, Inc.

FDA Shuts Down Seafood Processing Company, Requires Products Be Recalled

Medicis Announces Voluntary Recall of Solodyn® (minocycline HCL, USP) 90 Mg Tablets, Extended Release; Lot Numbers B080037 and B080038 Due to Product Mix-Up

Hydrox Labs Issued a Voluntary Recall of Alcohol-Free Mouthwash Nationwide Distributed by Cardinal Health
May 15, 2008

Sweetwater Valley Farm, Inc. Recalls Tennessee Aged Black Pepper Cheese

FDA Takes Action against Cream Cheese Companies, Executives
May 14, 2008

Manufacturer Removes Remaining Stocks of Trasylol
May 12, 2008

Atrium Initiates Voluntary Recall Action Regarding HYDRAGLIDE™ Brand Heparin-Coated Thoracic Drainage Catheters used for Autotransfusion during Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery
May 7, 2008

Medtronic Initiates Voluntary Field Actions for Selected Heparin-Coated Products Used During Cardiopulmonary Bypass
May 6, 2008

Updated Press Release: Lezza Blue Raspberry Italian Ice Recalled

Blount Fine Foods Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Shrimp in All Natural New England Clam Chowder, 20 Oz Cup
May 2, 2008

Little Bay Baking Company Issues Nationwide Allergy Alert On Undeclared Soy In Corn Bread And Muffin Mix In 12.6 Ounce White Paper Tin Tie Bag Package

Lezza Blue Raspberry Water Ice Recalled from Three Midwestern States

Hydrox Labs Issued a Voluntary Recall of Alcohol-Free Mouthwash Nationwide Distributed by Cardinal Health
May 1, 2008

FDA Completes Final Analysis of "Total Body Formula" and "Total Body Mega Formula" Products
Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts

These are all since May 1 2008!!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Just a note, The McDonald's in my area informed me they have stopped serving tomatoes on their sandwiches and in their salads until further notice. What's a burger or salad without tomatoes?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I just can't imagine what the deal is.

Does anyone think it is all about genetic modification? Paving the way for Monsanto to take over or what?

I don't understand how so many different areas are affected.

Dragonfire that is quite the list you compiled! Thanks.

No more tomatoes for Micky D, huh? Wow!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
WoW .. click on the archives at the bottom of the page !!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I heard about this yesterday at work, I work in food service. There's been a moratorium placed on tomatoes by the CDC because of the salmonella outbreak as 17 people have died.

I'd be interested to see which suppliers are affected by this, as that would be the perfect stock to buy when it hits rock bottom.

If only I had several million dollars.
Can anyone say corporate buyout?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
WoW .. click on the archives at the bottom of the page !!!!!!!

Wow and thats just from 2008! But have ya noticed the only time you here about recalls usually have something to do with people dying!!

Too bad they don't test everything or each batch Before it inters our food supply, it might be impossible to do that.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If you have an actual whole tomato, NOT A SLICED ONE, I can tell you how to totally eliminate the salmonella bacterium on it.

WASH IT BEFORE EATING IT!

Now you know.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
If you have an actual whole tomato, NOT A SLICED ONE, I can tell you how to totally eliminate the salmonella bacterium on it.

WASH IT BEFORE EATING IT!

Now you know.

Or better yet.. Grow your own! That way you know what has or hasn't been used on it, who has handled it, and whether it's safe to eat.

BTW: Excellent point Sir Chancealot! Always wash any meat or vegetable products you purchase before preparing them.

[edit on 6/9/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Preferably with a small amount of bleach added to the water, it helps to kill the salmonella.

But what I find a little strange is that, as far as I know, salmonella usually appears because of bad hygiene, so how can this be so wide-spread?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think if it was a matter of washing them that the food places affected would wash them rather than eliminate them.

I really don't buy the salmanella bit, why would it be so widespread? And if it was just that with the green onions from taco bell a year ago then why can't they serve them now???

It seems that something else is going on here. Could someone be tampering with our food supply?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

The Food and Drug Administration said consumers should avoid raw red plum, red Roma or round red tomatoes, which have been tied to 145 infections reported since mid-April.

Consumers may continue to eat cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, tomatoes sold with the vine still attached and tomatoes grown at home, the FDA statement said.

The article says tomatoes in California, but I live in Missouri and they have been pulled!

Oh, here is more.

The 145 infections, including 23 people who required hospital treatment, were reported in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin, the FDA said Saturday in the statement.

www.orlandosentinel.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
When the CDC puts a moratorium on something like a vegetable, sometimes it ends up going nationwide. I could see where you might be seeing that this could be covering up a conspiracy, as I can see the same thing here potentially that it might be the Government could be hiding sabotage. You just never know when it comes to stuff like that, meaning the cover-up and or the sabotage.

In the book by Ladislas Farago, "The Game of the Foxes" he explained that Nazi spies actually made it into the U.S. and were all over.

The Game of the Foxes

Some of the spies in different parts of the world ended up completing some sabotage, and some were conveiniantly lazy and blamed actual accidents on their expertise in sabotage in order to suck money out of the Nazis.

I have wondered if since September 11th if we were being told the whole truth about a lot of different incidents that seemed to Me as if they could possibly be sabotage rather than actual accidents, say for instance this all these cranes that keep collapsing.

Anyway, back to tomatoes, and this original meaning of the thread. Since 17 people have died due to salmonella, one has to wonder whether it's an "accident" or "sabotage" and since everyone knows the Government would rather cover-up than choke-up the truth, we will now not know for quite some time, will we.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I love tomatoes! I did hear about this the other day and it just kind of confirms why you should grow your own.

Seems that since our food distribution has been sold out to the South American countries stories like these are becoming so much more common place.

Remember that they do not have the regulations that were imposed upon our American farmers, and therefore the possibilities naturally become increased 10 fold.

If you follow the money trail, it does not seem to matter if certain items become obsolete in American consumer markets, what does matter are the products that can be purchased year round. Those are the contracts being signed.

The other thought I had on this was that it is not surprising as these third world nations become slaves to the corporate greed which will ultimately line the pockets of the elitist, as the people begin to grow more hungry because what was once in an abundance for them, is now worth far too much in the American markets to sell cheap locally.

As for the set up against the American way of life, the back bone of our economy, we need to all realize times ahead are indeed going to be rocky, and even supplementing simple items such as your backyard or container gardens are going to be a necessity.

Buy those seeds which challenge Monsanto 'terminator' seeds, buy from heritage companies and individuals, buy what you can use and share the rest. For next year, one dried tomatoes worth of seed can feed a community.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Okay, I could say something totally innappropriate about you ladies showing your tomatoes on a thread and de-railing it, but I won't.

I love tomatoes, the kind you dice up for salsa, I'll keep it G-Rated.

Interesting to see what happens when a Government Organization like CDC shuts something down, the price will later skyrocket.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

That is a nice photo of tomatoes on the vine. I remember, as a kid, going to the family garden when I wanted a snack before supper if mom approved.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
One cause for this may be due to the unhealthy workplace standards for field laborers. I've heard before of incidences where bathroom facilities were not provided for field workers, and they were forced to just relieve themselves in the fields. Yes, I know, a rather unappealing thought, but a valid explanation. I agree, it's best to always wash produce, even if it's homegrown.
Can't hurt to advocat for produce workers rights to a safe and hygienic workplace either. Those people bust their behinds for meager wages and truly deserve to have a decent work environment, IMO.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
for what it's worth, cases like these are a lot more widespread than reported, guaranteed.

on june 1, my significant other and i went to our fav mexican restaurant (kansas city area), and the next day i made 16 trips to the bathroom for diarrhea. i was sick for 3 days and lost 15% of my body weight over that course of time. significant other had similar symptoms but not as severe.

a family member in chicago ate a buerger with tomato on june 2, and went through the same for 2 days

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join