It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Packing in Public

page: 1/
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Packing in Public

www.latimes.com

Then one evening he stumbled across a site that urged gun owners to do something revolutionary: Carry your gun openly for the world to see as you go about your business.

In most states there's no law against that.

Jensen thought about it and decided to give it a try. A couple of days later, his gun was visible, hanging from a black holster strapped around his hip as he walked into a Costco. His heart raced as he ordered a Polish dog at the counter. No one called the police. No one stopped him.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I cannot think of a better way to deter crime than Packing in Public.

Is there anything possible to come of this? I kinda doubt it.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Totally depends on where you are, though. In Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, etc no big deal. Try walking down Sunset Boulevard in California with a 12 over your shoulder and watch how fast you make a trip to lock up, though. It ain't right and it's a violation of our constitutional rights, but it's one of those issues where the ACLU conveniently looks the other way while the right is slowly stripped from the people.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I think everyone got freaked out when they saw the gun or they thought that he was a cop; which keeps the crooks at bay, at least that’s what I would think unless he starts waving his gun around that’s a whole other issue.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Always been a supporter of open carry, Gun owners from my experience contrary to what the Anti-Gun crowd would have everyone believe, Are actually some of the biggest cowards ever, They are afraid of their own shadow...

A big problem with gun owners is as said in the article, We have gotten to the point we are all afraid to even say we own a gun.. Its really sad...

The funny thing is that a lot of law abiding citizens have permits to carry concealed, chances are you'll walk by several dozen citizens who are carrying everyday and you don't even know it...

Chances are a gun is within reach of at least one person in you're general area, at any given time, but everyone feels so safe because they don't see it, when they would be just as safe if they did...

A big reason people are afraid of guns isn't because they are used to commit crimes, but rather, because so few people knowingly encounter or have ever seen one other then in a movie...

people fear what they don't know or understand.

If gun owners were more open about such things,the general populace would become accustomed to it and no even give you a second glance...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Heh, Provo Utah, probably one of the most repressive places in the entire country when it comes to defying the norm.

Utah often gets a bad rap due to its predominantly mormon population and it's somewhat bizarre alcohol laws, but when it comes to gun laws, it's surprisingly lenient. I don't think this has so much to do with mormons as it does has do with Utah's mostly rural population and it's resident's love of the outdoors and hunting.

In 2000, the town of Virgin (population less than 500) sparked a media bonnanza when it passed a law requiring all residents to own a firearm.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by codex code

Thats called brandishing and is highly illegal. Open Carry depending on loaded or unloaded depends on your state/city/county.

If you plan on voicing your rights as a gun owner i highly recommend you make yourself VERY knowledgable in your local laws. Here in California it is legal to unloaded open carry in an incorporated city and loaded carry in unincorporated cities as per state law. But local laws supercede and of course there are the exceptions, ie...within 1000 feet of a school and a few others.

For anyone that would like to think about doing it, i suggest you visit OPENCARRY.ORG and inform yourself with as much knowledge as you can before you attempt it.

It is a wealth of information with individual forums for each state with meet and greets and open carry instance posts. I am a member of that forum and as of recently have started open carrying almost everywhere i go.

And for the record, anyone that flaunts, brandishes, or thinks they are a bigger man due to open carrying is a Frakkin Asshat and doesnt deserve the right to carry a firearm, nor would i trust my life or anyone elses life in the vicinity of said idiot.

Silver

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I would also like to direct everyone to the Utah portion of OpenCarry.org.

The members that were interviewed for that article posted up discrepancies in the LATimes article. The writer wrote one thing and omitted others. The members put in what was left out or misquoted.

OpenCarry members list discrepancies in article

Silver

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
deleted by poster...

[edit on 6/9/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I think a shoulder hoster and a light unbottoned jacket would be most prudent and respected way of civi carry. Don't want a baddy busting bottle of ketchup over your head at checkout and taking your piece.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
jpm a shoulder holster if not visible from front, back and side is considered concealed. Also, when I open carry, i am VERY aware of my surroundings. Plus i doubt anyone can get my gun from my holster. Don't be fooled by TV stuff. There are different types of paddle lock holsters that are designed for just such situations.

Deny stereotypes

Silver

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Ah....ok course silver. Shows my total lack of gun knowledge. I'm a bow man myself. Kind of hard to carry that in an IHOP though.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

jpm.....don't get me STARTED on the 'ketchup' versus 'catsup' debate!!!!

As to the topic: I used to live in AZ, where I believe it is still legal to 'pack' a weapon, in plain sight. Laws change so often....

Anyway, when I lived there, I saw....perhaps, one out of a thousand people? [maybe one out of ten thousand???] taking advantage of their right to 'pack'.

I am not 'anti-gun', nor 'pro-gun'. I do not have sufficient experience, nor knowledge to judge. Although my father (deceased) was a US Customs Agent, and I now own his weapons (his duty revolver, and a ceremonial...never fired...revolver). My step-father was LAPD for to decades, so obviously as a Peace Officer, he knew his weapons. My Grandfather was a hunter....so, I am not a 'peacenik' or anything. I simply lack the actual skills of handling these weapons.

Having written the above....I find no need to fulfill my 'manhood' with a weapon. Yes, I understand it is a hobby to many, and I have hobbies as well. No one should be deprived of their hobby, as long as it does not hurt nor impinge on the rights of anyone else. (Radio Control model Airplanes, one of my hobbies....Hoo, boy!! Do people complain about the noise!!!)

Again, please consider me a Neutral on this issue, as I like to hear all sides....and what I think about guns and the Second Amend matters nothing, anyways....but, since this IS a conspiracy site, here at ATS:

IF...'an organized militia' were needed in the event of a 'future' Governmental oppression on our society....by 'oppression' I mean a full-blown Martial Law scenario...what chance would a 9mm Glock have against tanks and night-vision and AK-47s? (Sorry, my lack of knowledge of personal armaments available to the public is limited). BUT, other than a 'guerilla-type' resistance, what could the average citizen hope to achieve, against superior firepower technology???

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by jpm1602

As to the topic: I used to live in AZ, where I believe it is still legal to 'pack' a weapon, in plain sight. Laws change so often....

Having written the above....I find no need to fulfill my 'manhood' with a weapon. Yes, I understand it is a hobby to many, and I have hobbies as well. No one should be deprived of their hobby, as long as it does not hurt nor impinge on the rights of anyone else. (Radio Control model Airplanes, one of my hobbies....Hoo, boy!! Do people complain about the noise!!!)

IF...'an organized militia' were needed in the event of a 'future' Governmental oppression on our society....by 'oppression' I mean a full-blown Martial Law scenario...what chance would a 9mm Glock have against tanks and night-vision and AK-47s? (Sorry, my lack of knowledge of personal armaments available to the public is limited). BUT, other than a 'guerilla-type' resistance, what could the average citizen hope to achieve, against superior firepower technology???

1. As an Arizona resident and CCW (carry concealed weapon) permit holder I can say that--YES--"open carry" is indeed legal with very few exceptions (bars, schools, national forests). Personally, I like being able to carry my weapon concealed. I don't want to be the first guy a baddy goes for in a SHTF scenario. I like the element of surprise, as in "he sure wasn't expecting THAT!"

2. I don't need a gun to "fulfill my manhood". I don't hunt, smoke cigars or drive a Corvette either--if you get my drift. Carrying a gun is the ultimate insurance policy. I pack because I don't ever intend to allow myself or any member of my family to become a victim and, to my way of thinking, one dead thug isn't worth a broken fingernail.

3. As far as a citizens' militia going up against a modern armed force I'm not as pessimistic. Just look at the current debacles in Iraq & Afghanistan. Also, the Russians got chased out of Afghanistan in the 80's by a well-motivated guerilla army which used antique weapons and captured arms to mess with the Russian army. The Stinger missiles they eventually got turned the tide of the war. I imagine that a citizen milita consisting of millions of hunters with their powerful hunting and para-military rifles could keep the King's army playing whack-a-mole all over the countryside. Now . . . if such goodies as IEDs, RPGs, artillery, etc. entered the equation the standing army might be in for a real fight. That is if the King's soldiers hadn't already switched sides or refused to fight their fellow countrymen. A guerilla war is VERY hard to fight with even the best-equipped modern army. So, I'd say that an armed militia is better than the alternative.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Legal or not, I'll bet in a lot of areas you get stopped and harassed by the lawmen all day long.

Then there is the issue of being in a vehicle. I know that around these parts, having a gun on you while you're driving is kind of the point of going for your permit. We have far too many car-jackings and unsolved highway murders.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've got a fairly funny story about open carry in the Phoenix area. My hobby is Cowboy Action Shooting. Every year my friends and I venture to Phoenix to the Ben Avery range for the Southwestern Nationals S.A.S.S. match. We dress in period correct costumes for pre-1897 era.Yes..thats right..grownups playing cowboys. Two gun rigs and engraved Colts on our hips. Biggest hats and fanciest boots and spurs we can find. Well 6 of us just before the days shooting commenced decided to drive down the road to the local grocery and pick up a few more cases of water because it was already 95 degrees at 10 in the morning. We all hopped into the back of a pickup fully laden with every accoutrement and drove down the half mile or so to the establishment. Hopped out and walked into the store and headed down the aisle when all of a sudden this woman of about 35 or so started screaming and running out the front door towards the parking lot. Shaking and trying to use her cell phone to call the police because a 'ROBBERY" was in progress, meaning us!
A few of Joe Arparo's deputy's roared into the lot just as we hit the checkstand. They had left the Ben Avery to come stop our supposed robbery. They took one look at us and just started laughing. These guys where our night security to protect the vendors tents for the match and knew what was what. The poor lady was there from New Hampshire and was sure we where going to murder everyone in the store. We payed for our cases of water said howdy and goodbye to the poor lady (tipping our hats as gentlemen should) and departed back to the range. We where the topic of converstaion and many laughs at the Fancy Dressed ball that night. I never heard what happened to that lady but I'm sure she learned something that day!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Legal or not, I'll bet in a lot of areas you get stopped and harassed by the lawmen all day long.

Then there is the issue of being in a vehicle. I know that around these parts, having a gun on you while you're driving is kind of the point of going for your permit. We have far too many car-jackings and unsolved highway murders.

Exactly. My brother died with a friend of mine in the hospital still during a car jacking in late April. Even though my brother was not killed by a gun shot, he was beat severely with the end of a pistol. My friend had a bullet enter his spine through the stomach, but luckily he just was able to get feeling back in his feet, so he should make a recovery. Anyway, the point of this is, my brother had his gun in the car and it saved lives. Everyone in the car would have been dead on the spot if that gun was not pulled - never fired, but once the assailants saw it they ran.

Sadly, they wanted to charge my brother with felony gun possession for having a gun in the car even though Pennsylvania is an open carry state. This was in Philadelphia. The cops proceeded to arrest my brother and his other friend who was in the back seat for the shooting. Their gun was never fired once, only used as a deterrent, yet they were thrown in jail while my brother went blind from head trauma and was denied medical attention. We had to bail him out for him to get treatment. He died the morning he was going to the hospital.

Guns do save lives, just be very careful where you have them because the laws change so much and can vary from county to county. If he would have been one county over where we live, there would have been no charge against him and he would have been able to get the medical attention he needed.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

edit...talk about poor timing. I am truly sorry that I posted something humorous after a tragic story just above. I am deleting what I wrote, and condolences to the other poster....

[edit on 6/10/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

My heartfelt condolences. I remember reading something about this case.

Zindo

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by deadline527

My heartfelt condolences. I remember reading something about this case.

Zindo

Probably in the Open Carry in PA thread, I mentioned it in there because a lot of people were under the impression that state laws override county laws but I am not sure any more. If more people carried guns there would be a LOT less crime, in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join