It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mac Users? I haev a MAcBook Pro Question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Hi, I am looking into switching over to Mac. I am a Landscape Architect and use phtoshop, illustrator, sketchup, indesign, and autocad a lot.

i have 2 set of questions:

1) what program is best for running windows only programs on a mac (autocad) and how well does it work?

2) designers who use mac: should i not even question going for the 17" over the 15" screen? And should I go mat of glossy?

thanks for your feed back people!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Awesome...fellow Mac user. Macs are the best for graphic design....anyways, to the point..

for running windows programs on your mac you have 2 options really.

You can use Virtual PC for mac or you can have an Intel based mac with dual boot options. Either way you will have to have a copy of Windows to install on it. Virtual PC doesn't work very well for graphic intense applications however...like games, etc. At least not Virtual PC 7, which is the version I have. Your better off getting an Intel based Mac if it's an option.

Intel Macs are really superior to PC's because they can do everything a PC can do AND everything a Mac can do.
PLUS, they run Windows alot better than a PC does.

And the 17" screen is the way to go. Hell, the 30" screen is the way to go. and what do you mean, should I go "mat of glossy"?

And FYI, Photoshop and Adobe Products are native to Mac. They run alot better than on a PC.

[edit on 6/9/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

[edit on 6/9/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Mad hatter thanks for your reply.

I am glad to hear Adobe runs better on the Mac ,one of the main reasons I am switching is that I grown really sick of the lag time that builds up when my work starts getting really big in size.

I am going to get the MacBook Pro so the largest screen size I can get (on the laptop) is 1". I am also going to save my money for something over 21" to keep on my desk at home so I can run dual monitors, which will also help with my large projects.

To answer your question you can now select 'mat' or 'glossy' screens for the
MAcBook Pro, and I was wondering if anyone in design had a preference. I have herd that on the 'mat' screens colors may be a bit more true to life saving a lot of heart ache and money when things print wih different color tones than you were expecting.

Thanks again mate!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I personally use a matte screen on my laptop and desktop macs. The only advantage I really see for this is that you don't get glare on your screen from light sources in the room because the light isn't reflecting off of the glossy screen. I have a PowerMac G5 with dual core processors and a PowerBook G4 laptop. I will say though, you are more than likely going to have to upgrade your RAM from the jump. Most of the time they only come with a gigabyte of ram....at least that was the standard when I purchased mine. It may be different now. I recommend getting at least 3 Gigs of RAM or more for best performance, especially if you're going to be running extremely large files in PS CS3 and Illustrator CS3. I know my photoshop files get to be EXTREMELY large...especially when designing for print at 300dpi. But yeah, my applications hardly ever crash. I think you will be satisfied. However, don't expect to do much gaming on your Mac other than Blizzard games or you will be disappointed. Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
my plan is to upgrade to the 2.6 processor and 4gb of ram.

nothing makes my work more frustrating than when everything bogs down and i work at 1/4th the speed due to my computer not being able to keep up.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Excellent choice..and I know what you mean...I can't stand my computer working slower than me. I mean, its a computer for christ sake...its supposed to be faster than us people.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

right! i am always amazed and a bit miffed when my computer decieds to drool. THAT IS MY JOB!

top topics

join