It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religulous -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
A new movie has come out about yes that's right religion

I think with this atheist movie coming out, Christians might start to think a little differently in what they believe

Do any religious people have a problem with this movie?

Here Bill Maher is on Larry King

[edit on 9-6-2008 by Dark_Ace]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark_Ace

the youtube vids doesnt work, can you post the links normally?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
sorry for the problem

i fixed it so you can see the video now

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
"why doesn't he just obliterate the devil and therefore get rid of evil in the world?"

"he will"

"he will???"

"yeah"

"what is he waiting for?!"

funny stuff

should be pretty good, but i really need to see Steins' Expelled before i see this . . .

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Clearly, it's going to be seen as one sided and without a doubt some people will say it's just been cleverly editedin their favour.

At this stage in my life, I have been questioning the 'purpose' of religion and how much truth there is in it. After reading The God Delusion last year I felt somewhat dumb as to believe in the first place. But I still hesitate a little when I say that. Is that because as a kid I went to Sunday School, at primary school I was 'told' regularly that God sees all, sang Gods praises and learned about sinning etc... HE has been part of my life when I was most impressionable. Now it becomes difficult to shake off, but insight of all the evidence AGAINST religion it does seem rediculous to me. Is faith solely about keeping your fingers crossed in the hope that some unseen deity is looking out for you?

A friend has muslim parents....he's also muslim
Another friend of mine is Jewish...guess what? so are his parents!
My sons friend is a Jehovas Witness...believe it or not, so are his entire family!

Is it pure coincidence they all have the same religous beliefs as their own parents? They can't all be right.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiseToAddiction
A friend has muslim parents....he's also muslim
Another friend of mine is Jewish...guess what? so are his parents!
My sons friend is a Jehovas Witness...believe it or not, so are his entire family!

Is it pure coincidence they all have the same religous beliefs as their own parents? They can't all be right.

RiseToAddiction, you've hit a significant point! I think it's safe to say that the majority of people grow up with the same beliefs that their parents have. Parents want their kids to follow in their footsteps most of the time, so that makes this a completely understandable circumstance.

What I will never understand, and I was always puzzled by this when I was a Christian, is why some parents will take their kids to church shortly after they're born, even if the parents didn't attend church prior to that, or maybe didn't even practice any form of religion or spirituality!? Totally weird!

I wish more parents would bring up their children in such a way that they would either be exposed to many flavors of religion and spirituality intentionally, or given the freedom to explore and learn about what is out there on their own when they are of the age to do so.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I completely agree. Like I said though, I find it tough calling myself an Atheist but I strongly believe this is because I now have this deep feeling planted inside me since birth that someone 'up there' constantly judging me.

My parents are not particularly religious as such, they just go about their normal business trying to do the right thing. That's how I feel too. Nor did they insist I 'seek out the truth'. In fact, they have no idea that I feel this way.

So my point is this. People CAN question why they believe what they believe and I think they should. I know this is hardly a revelation but sometimes we need to be reminded.

Richard Dawkin said something along the lines of 'If there is a God, surely he would be much happier knowing that I questioned and searched for answers instead of following blindly with out a single strand of evidence'.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiseToAddiction
Richard Dawkin said something along the lines of 'If there is a God, surely he would be much happier knowing that I questioned and searched for answers instead of following blindly with out a single strand of evidence'.

Great quote! I really like that, and completely agree with it. Everyone deserves the opportunity to seek the truth on their own terms when they are ready.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Risetoaddiction, you have only recently begun to question this.
Give it time. Your mind needs to process all the new finformation that you have come across. You will be free.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Are you saying you agree with the points raised OhZone?

My interest or curiosity has been ongoing for years I just decided to try and find none biased literature within the last year or so.

Having been sat on the fence for quite some time, I'm finding the scales tipping heavily towards the atheists point of view. One leading factor in this is how certain aspects of religious beliefs over the centuries have been dropped due to the development of scientific facts. Certainly in Western religion. I don't know much about Eastern.
How we now know that the current state of the bible has been edited and re-transformed over the years including how certain books or pages removed to suit the political agenda. Reducing women to a lower form of life etc...

What proof is there in Faith? I really want to know.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i'm pretty religous, i've no problem at all with his movie. if he thinks religion is a load of bs and wants to make a mockery of it, so what. free speech and all that. is there a reason i should have a problem with it.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I look forward to watching this movie. If anything, it causes people to stop and think about their personal belief system. Introspection is a great thing.

If the movie causes people of faith to strengthen their convictions, well then, good for them. If it doesn't, at least these people will probe a bit deeper as to what their beliefs really are.

Either way, people who view this film should come out a little more balanced, and well-rounded in the end.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more Maria.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I just got done watching the entire movie. In my opinion it was just about one man trying to convince everyone that religion is bad and any one who believes in any religion is crazy. His last words in the movie did stick in my mind, it was something to the effect of
"the religious fanatics are causing the problems in the world, it is the religious moderates who are enabling them, there for the religious moderates must stop all religion now to stop everything that is bad."

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
"I think with this atheist movie coming out, Christians might start to think a little differently in what they believe."

Why do you feel its so important to you, to make other people change the way they believe?
And don't you think that is somewhat, manipulative and selfish?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I hope no one minds if I post on this old thread.
Update link to movie:
www.documentary-log.com...

My observation after watching the movie. Bill Maher, Jewish mother, Roman Catholic father, Roman Catholic until age 13. He comes to the conclusion that religion is bumpkis and dangerous, and therefore people should give up the notion of God communicating with people.

He blithely shrugs off and debunks quite humorously every body's religious beliefs. His attitude toward "sacred texts" is they are on a par with fairy tales like Jack and the beanstalk. Religious belief is the suspension/setting aside of rational thought.

Now notice the one interview in which he loses his cool, the one he must interrupt saying, "No, I'm out." 1:06:19. The interview with Anti-Zionist Rabbi Dovid Weiss 1:04 who maintains the Jews must wait for a certain degree of holiness, then God will give a clear sign to return. Maher loses all composure and brings up the holocaust.

All religion is irrational and therefore dangerous, but for no specific reason it's right and proper for people identifying themselves as Jews from all over the world to go to some piece of geography and push out the people living there. The only reason he can come up with is what happened to people identified as Jews in Europe by Europeans? That makes it okay to take land from people in the middle east?

Bill, Bill, how is this rational? How is this not dangerous?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by pthena]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena
This documentary keeps disappearing. Update link:
video.google.com...#

top topics

join