It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians clash with police in bread riot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Egyptians clash with police in bread riot

www.msnbc.msn.com

CAIRO, Egypt - Thousands of demonstrators fought with police after a protest over flour rations in a town on Egypt's Mediterranean coast, a security official and state media said Sunday.

The state-owned daily Al-Ahram said some 8,000 protesters sealed off the main Cairo-Mediterranean highway for seven hours Saturday and burnt tires to stop traffic. Police fired tear gas and arrested dozens to disperse the crowd
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is not looking good, 10 people have been killed this year in Egypt in bread line fights. This seems to be a growing world crisis. Like we don't have enough problems in the world with gas prices we have to deal with possible food shortages, I haven't noticed any shortages here in the states yet, just food prices going up.

Terrible combinations here, higher gas, food prises and the effects of the housing bubble.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

you know who i blame

the eco nuts and tree huggers

since thousends of tons of produce which can be used for humans
or the area they are used to grow them can be used for other goods.
are used to produce bio-fuel to keep the tree-huggers happy and dandy.
who cares about world hunger and so on

[edit on 8-6-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Its the eco nuts that cause the high oil eco nuts that cause high food eco nuts that cause high gold its eco nuts that cause high silver its eco nuts that cause high everything right?

Actually your so wrong. Its our government and our week dollar policy that is causing all of these problems. The government can spin it in any direction they want but as long as the keep devaluing the worlds main currency to peso status everything is going to continue to go up. Sorry hate to break the news.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

The story is about flour not about corn. Do they make bio diesel out of wheat?

I think we will be seeing more of this type of stuff happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by bodrul

The story is about flour not about corn. Do they make bio diesel out of wheat?

I think we will be seeing more of this type of stuff happen.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make when I threw gold and silver in my last statement. The fact is the government has the sheeple believing that this is all the "tree huggers" fault as far as the high food and oil when the fact is ALL the commodities are going up and when that happens that has nothing to do with shortages and everything to do with inflation caused by a bad monetary policies. I was watching Chris Wallace today and listening to these morons debate "Oh we have to drill here" and "Oh we need to get rid of ethenal" my immediate rebuttal is you have the gov of Montana coming out the other day and saying hey we have oil up here and we are allowing you to drill anywhere. But he says there is an issue and that is all the big guys REFUSE to go to Montana and invest he says its only the small independent companies that are investing hmmm why could that be?

Anyways once again this has nothing to do with supply and demand or tree huggers and everything to do with our government bankrupting our country on funding the world police, the world empire, the nanny state, the polices state, and the welfare state. Saddle up people its gonna get bumpy.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Sorry folks, this is strictly related to crop failures in Africa and the Indian sub due to the wheat rust disease. The wheat is dying from it and it spread between continents due to a cyclone, they expect it to come across the pacific with the winter storms.

Better study up on this one. Its looking like a pretty nasty situation so far.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Thanks for bringing clarity to this one.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
Sorry folks, this is strictly related to crop failures in Africa and the Indian sub due to the wheat rust disease. The wheat is dying from it and it spread between continents due to a cyclone, they expect it to come across the pacific with the winter storms.

Better study up on this one. Its looking like a pretty nasty situation so far.

Umm the prices of food and the "shortages" are all over the world not just Egypt so Africa and India supply all of the worlds food? Its a cop out...its an excuse to keep people from the real issue of what is going on. I have to disagree sorry

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

i dont know about this wheat disease, but i lived in cairo for 6 months and this goes far deeper than some plant disease.

the people there HATE their government. the only reason why they do not overthrow it immediatly is because the US dumps metric buttloads of cash in hosni mubaraks pockets every year...in fact israel is the only country who recieves more foreign aid than egypt. (So much for spreading democracy around the world when you pay to keep dictators in power) we give this money to him because he is in our pocket and he will do whatever the US says. hell, he even saw his predicessor assisnated right in front of him so he knows what our CIA can do if he dosnt kiss our butt.

what does egypt do with all this cash? they subsidize all the essentials of life to keep the commoners from revolting and overthrowing him. bread, gas, and the like.

whith inflation destroying the value of the dollar the government cant pay for as much stuff to keep its people from revolting. when i was there a few years ago the increased the cost of gasoline by 5 cents there was riots and protests. egyptians pay around .70 cents a gallon for gas.

the government cant aford to pay off the commoners from revolting anymore.

i smell revolution comming hahah. see ya hosni! misa kleer!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

please read, i said the land used to grow the produce,
more land is being used to grow corn for bio-diseal
the land could easily be used for wheat and so on

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

thinking you might find more to blame if you looked toward the producers of GM foods. they're the ones producing non-nutrious foods, driving up prices further, changing food so that only their own chemicals work on the only pest that affects them, and modifying seeds so they don't reproduce. this is effecting the whole ecochain. but yeah. go ahead and blame the people trying to stop this. that makes all the sense in the world.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ok after doing some research the problem is 3 fold.

1 Everyone knows that food prices are rising worldwide. Increasing fuel costs, inflation, and the demand for food is growing.

2 Rust disease:

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The global food prices outlook darkened on March 7 after the Food and Agricultural Organisation revealed that a contagious wheat disease that was previously found only in Kenya has spread to key producing markets in the Middle East.

The latest FAO survey of the wheat market showed the virulent fungi that spread in the entire East Africa region has attacked crops in the main wheat producing countries of Yemen and Iran.

Agriculture experts warned that the situation could worsen if the disease spreads East of Iran to Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhastan — the world’s leading wheat producers.
Wheat stem rust disease spreads to Middle East

3 Bio fuel:

The cost of living has risen drastically around the world from increasing real-estate, gasoline, education and now food. But its not fillet mignon or sauteed lobster tail that have risen in cost, it’s the basic essentials of developing nations. Take Egypt for example and the increase in simple staples of nourishment, rice, bread, beans, onions even vegetable oil. Foods such as these have increased more than double since 2004 and some cases quadrupled in only a few months. We’ve all heard of the massive bread shortages in Egypt due to the increased cost of wheat but now what used to cost 2 EGP for vegetable oil now costs 15 EGP. Fava beans, the most basic food, afforded by the poorest of the poor costs 8 EGP per Kg, something that cost a quarter of that a year ago.

Egypt is not alone in rising food costs, its an epidemic affecting millions of people across the third world and the cause of the increase will amaze you. Though rising gas prices and the corresponding increase in transporting food is part of the problem it only accounts for 15% of the increase. Ironically the increase in the cost of beans, grains and oil’s have come from developed nations and their response to increased oil costs. Governmental policies within the U.S. and E.U. have caused an increased demand on beans and grains to be used for bio-fuel, a supplement of petroleum. The programs designed to fulfill specific quotas are operating with an inefficiency not seen since the peak of the Soviet Union. Farmers, corporations and scientists are milking the government for extremely high and wasteful subsidies, robbing taxpayers and wasting enough grain to make Stalin proud, resulting in the worldwide cost of farmed goods to sky rocket.
Bio-Fuel Causes Egyptian Starvation

So everything above seems to be causing this problem, not one thing but all of these things.

new topics

top topics

join