It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Are you a skeptic, believer, or knower?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
C.
That which I've researched backs up what I've seen.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
they exist and they are here and skeptics will never wake up and see the truth

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
A, B, and C

Your question assumes there is one kind of phenomenon about which we might have an opinion. I think there are esoteric phenomena, nuts and bolts phenomena, and entirely prosaic phenomena.

There are "alien intelligences", I think. They range from aetheric to physical.

There are physical, man-made craft. Some of them are clever lighter-than-air vehicles. Man made.

There are holographic projections. Sketchy technology still. Requires a medium of aerosolized particles suspended in the air (chemtrails provide the medium).

There are plasmas.

There are highly polished aluminum discs which are made to fly by way of microwave beams; "beam ships" that are man made. Unmanned at this point, I think.

There are other phenomena about which it is not lawful to speak.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
A big C for me.

2 sky sightings and 1 on the ground approx 200 meters away, but now I think it was a reversed engineered craft that got into trouble.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i'm a skeptical Believer of Knowledge...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm all three. I'm a skeptic in the classical use of the word. In other words, I'm willing to entertain ALL theories, but won't necessarily subscribe to them unless the evidence allows for such a conclusion. (Which, if I may digress, is NOT what goes on with today's "skeptics". If you want a good look at what a real skeptic is, see G. Harry Stine's preface in "Amazing Mind Machines You Can Build")

I'm a believer in that I believe a great many people have seen SOMETHING. We (being the general public) don't have enough information to determine what that something is.

I'm a knower in that I know certain things are true beyond any reasonable doubt (to use a phrase from the legal department
). Sometimes those things are based on faith, and sometimes it is based on the evidence as I see it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I would say that i am between A and B leaning more towards B.
The universe is a big place and the likelyhood of humanity being the only intelligent life in what is possibly and infinate expanse is very remote.

However with the wide proliferation of hoaxes and reasonable explinations the actual believable "evidence" is a small amount.

I would love to be able to say C one day and I would love there to be incontravertable evidence one day, but until then i will be placed between A and B.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I don't know where I sit on this subject really. I believe that out of all the claimed cases only a few are unsolved and credible. Out of these cases I think I can claim to know that UFOs have been seen but I cant claim to know these sightings are of anything alien in origin. I also don't believe the sightings are of anything alien in origin but I will say that I am not claiming to know they are not alien in origin.

I don't think its really that easy to really know something without any doubt, not if you really consider all possibilities and consider oneself to be open minded.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I'm a mixture of A&B

I've seen the evidence thats been presented on here, and I've seen nothing yet which makes me say 'genuine alien/craft'
I do believe in aliens, and do believe that they [can] visit Earth, for whatever reasons they have. Just not seent he evidence which shows they can

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
To clear up my response... to know is to make an impermanence seem permanent by placing the meaning of eternal truth upon it. Eternal truth has no meaning, and it is the end of existence.

I'll believe in whatever illusion I have now until it evolves and dies and changes into another illusion. This is the joy of existence, and without belief, there would be no meaning.

I don't know anything, in the end.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Well, I guess I would have to be a C as well.

I still remember when I was a child, we saw a large triangular craft flying very low overhead. It was huge, low , slow and silent. This was the early 80's. I have seen other strange lights but the triangle would be the one that would put me in the knower catagory.

I don't know if it was terrestrial or extra-terrestrial, but it sure wasn't normal.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What I always say to people is this -

" Look at the sky. Our Sun is a Star. Look into the sky again and see how many stars their are. They are all suns, some smaller, most of them much much larger. There are trillions upon trillions of them in the sky, to think we are the only other intelligent life force in the whole space-time continum is in fact rather arragant".

Thanks, remember the more you try to tell people the more it enters their consciouness.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Umm... How about 'D'? lol... the only thing I'm sure of, absolutely, is that I exist and can interact with the surroundings that I perceive to exist. I am an 'empath', but I honestly can't be sure that it's not just a perception in my mind that is only confirmed by a visual and audible perception. It seems that my own conclusions are just bits and pieces of everyone else's conclusions, and until I can get out of this meat vessel, I don't think I will know, believe, or be skeptical of anything for sure.

If you're confused, imagine how I feel, lol... I think about this at least once a day, it seems! Damn philosophy...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I have seen a ghost with my eyes. I have experienced a poltergiest. I have seen a UFO, not once, but three times, (and not some ball of light in the sky, but a clear WTF moment, where, to this day, I have no explanation for what I saw), I also have had several strange incidents in my life that I cannot explain.

And yet, I have to say that I am an 'agnostic'. I want to believe, but I'm not entirely sure I do. I'd like to think that where there is so much smoke, that somewhere, there has to be fire. When you look at the 1000s of UFO reports, it seems very unlikely that everyone's lying for fun or profit.

But I am very skeptical of alot of it. I want answers. Proof. Evidence. I want to, finally, someday, read or see or hear something that knocks my socks off. I'm not as interested in the maybes, the might bes, the could bes, the blurries and the "I want to believe so much I'll believe anythings".

I sift and search and look for clues, for truths and realities. But it will take a lot to convince me. I'm not a believer.

I know...that there is this box, called the unknown. But what's inside, I cannot say. I simply do not know anything more than that.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
Umm... How about 'D'? lol... the only thing I'm sure of, absolutely, is that I exist and can interact with the surroundings that I perceive to exist. I am an 'empath', but I honestly can't be sure that it's not just a perception in my mind that is only confirmed by a visual and audible perception. It seems that my own conclusions are just bits and pieces of everyone else's conclusions, and until I can get out of this meat vessel, I don't think I will know, believe, or be skeptical of anything for sure.

If you're confused, imagine how I feel, lol... I think about this at least once a day, it seems! Damn philosophy...

I too have an "empathic" aspect to my perceptions (read www.abovetopsecret.com...' for a feel for my experience) and suggest (again!) that the Terra Papers ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ) be read. They are vitally important to this issue.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I will go with C. also touching one counts too right, there skin feels like some type of leather.

Seen multiple crafts, different shapes, forms and sizes.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

A in public:
a)Skeptic-Just not enough evidence for you to believe that UFOs are really out there.

B in reality:
b)Believer-You have seen enough evidence for you to "believe" that there are objects or craft flying in our atmosphere that are non-conventional, even though you have not witnessed them yourself.

To be honest, not ready for C just yet. Spielberg telling us that ET was real and Henry Thomas was the fake one would be a nice start.

Brei.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I would like to see everyone chime in here and see what type of make-up and percentages frequent this forum. I see 99% of the threads with footage get picked apart and debunked, but am just curious to see what the actual member base consists of on this forum through their own views and / or experiences.

Are you a:

a)Skeptic-Just not enough evidence for you to believe that UFOs are really out there.

b)Believer-You have seen enough evidence for you to "believe" that there are objects or craft flying in our atmosphere that are non-conventional, even though you have not witnessed them yourself.

c)Knower-You have witnessed these objects or craft directly, and KNOW that they are real, and traversing our skies and atmosphere.

I will kick this off:

My answer is C...I have had numerous sightings of non-conventional craft over the past 10-12 years, so for me it is no longer a matter of "belief"---I know they are real. Now I'm just trying to figure out who or what is piloting them.

Let's hear it--Which category do you fall under and why?

Well this is my first post here. I joined when I read this thread called something like "Does an intergalactic council exist". I was going to respond anonymously but I thought "no I'll just register".

I come from cvatheists.org's forum as Mephistopheles.

To get to what I think, I'd say I don't accept things just because people say so. I don't believe people when they say they've seen the Virgin Mary appear to them, I don't believe it's true when statues of the V.M. bleed or cry, and I definitely don't believe people who say they've been abducted.

Now, to get down to why, here's why. There's a concept called "Occam's Razor", and here's how it goes:

It slices. It dices. It removes superfluous supernatural phenomena.

Basically, Occam's Razor is the fact that the simplest, most realistic explanation is vastly the most accurate one.

People who say they've seen UFOs have probably seen planes. People who say they've clearly seen a UFO or say they've met, speak to, or been abducted by aliens are clearly having hallucinations and delusions. I'd know, I take medication for schizophrenia. Why should any of us believe extraordinary tales told by people who are mentally ill but refuse to take medication or see professionals?

With that in mind, I think, as someone who puts logic above fantasy, that we are not alone in this universe. However, there is no evidence nor anything remotely suggestive that people who claim to have met aliens are not simply mentally ill.

Now, mostly I treat people who claim to see UFOs clearly with politeness, but I am not afraid to tell them they're most likely mentally ill than lucky people who have met aliens from other planets. With that in mind, I'll assume you are not lying, and have seen things you can't explain. Don't you think it's far more likely you've seen a plane, a military plane, or an experimental aircraft?

If I was able to see a stealth bomber flying in the sky at night I'd probably think it was a UFO, but then I'd probably get an increase in medication dosage.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
B and C

Saw a craft once. By definition it was a UFO. What I'd like to know is if it was a secret craft of ours or alien? If I had to pick one, I'd call it alien because I've never seen anything of ours that could move as fast as the thing I saw. It moved through a cloud and the cloud was split in two afterwards. Craziest thing I ever saw and I'll never forget it.

What always gets me about it is this. The night before I was listening to Coast to Coast AM. I can't remember who the guest was, but he said "Ever wonder why UFO's aren't reported more than usual? It's because your average person rarely looks into the sky anymore". The next day I'm out for a walk and thinking about that. I looked to the sky and there it was. Do it all the time now and haven't seen anything else since then.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by nightmare_david]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I am 'A' sceptic, but I have an open mind on the subject. If you'd asked me that 2 years ago my answer would of been 'B' but thanks to ATS and it's members I'm no longer that gullible

P.s. I do believe that life is out there in the universe, intelligent or otherwise. Just doubtful there visiting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join