NEWS: On Our Way to Global Warming Catastrophe

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
GENEVA - Natural disasters caused by catastrophic climate changes, as a result of global warming, are the number one fear of the world's second-largest insurance company. Swiss Re warned today that the human race is headed toward a catastrophe of its own making.

news.Yahoo.com "There is a danger that human intervention will accelerate and intensify natural climate changes to such a point that it will become impossible to adapt our socio-economic systems in time," Swiss Re said in the report. This is not encouraging news following the Pentagons chilling report on the same subject. Leaked Pentagon report warns climate change may bring famine, war.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I don't know why people keep ignoring this.... Maybe they can't get past the idea that Global Warming will end up freezing us to death. Heh, seems like a fair bit of irony to me.

But whatever, people (you know who you are) can go ahead and believe that this isn't happening or that global warming is all some left-wing plot created by Al Gore. Fine.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i don't believe that global warming is something created by the left-wing, or any wing for that matter, but i also do not believe it is a problem. there has been true scientific study of weather for what? the past 150 years tops? we know far too little to say what is going on with the world and be accurate.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The wrath of the Gods are upon us all.

The best thing to do now is prepare with everything we got. Build your bunkers, store some food in them, and have your guns ready.

Or, we could change our ways in relation to our dependence on the Earth.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Legalize marijuana, grow your own fuel!

Blame haarp~!! This is for you people that say it doesn't exist anyways..

www.haarp.alaska.edu...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The steps that would be neccessary to alleviate the global climatic problems we have would require a fundamental change in the way we conduct our lives on the grandest scale possible. Unfortunately, as much as people talk about how concerned they are about these problems, very few are willing to accept giving up many of the creature comforts and novelties that the modern world has bestowed apon them the way it is currently consructed. We've gone too long down this one path to expect any kind of moderate attempts at changing things to have any impact.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
...it's important to see how the most conservative of prognostication businesses comes down on this. Read how they percieve the problem. Couple that with the US Pentagon making plans on the forthcoming "Water Wars" & "Famine Wars".

But, we're about due for a poster to point out how this is all a farce, no?

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Bout Time]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

don't believe that global warming is something created by the left-wing, or any wing for that matter, but i also do not believe it is a problem. there has been true scientific study of weather for what? the past 150 years tops? we know far too little to say what is going on with the world and be accurate.

I agree whole-heartedly....we simply don't know enough yet to determine this...

Also, don't know about you, but this was the coldest winter yet here...doesn't feel like it's warming up to me, at all...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
in the past 10 years, Florida's mild winters have begun to progressively get colder and colder...at least it seems that way to me.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I have heard several times on Dreamland, that we are causing global warming, and, yet, the Earth is entering a period of cooling. So now we really don't know what is going to happen. I have experienced this cooling in Rhode Island and know it's a real phenomena.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boombye
Blame haarp~!! This is for you people that say it doesn't exist anyways..

www.haarp.alaska.edu...

It looks like an empty Christmas tree lot.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Temperature variation in one day is far greater than the variation that would cause worldwide change. You need to take an average which is exceedingly difficult using a "thermometer". However nature, yet again, has the answer. If global temperatures are changing then flora and fauna patterns will be shifting, glaciers advancing or retreating etc. All of natures indicators show temperatures are rising.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It's a scientific fact that the world is going to be SERIOUSLY screwed in environmental terms over the next 10-20 years.

Hopefully all those (highly accurate) predictions by everyone from the Mayans to the Norse that the world will end in the next 10-20 years is just coincidence....

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the latest concern about climate changes coincides with soon to be released The Day After Tomorrow, which is due out this summer.

The movie is about the Earth being destroyed by drastic climate changes as a result of the Polar Ice Caps melting. Could there be in significance in this?

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What a load of crap. The two authors of that "Pentagon Report" have stated that it is a "worst case scenario, and highly unlikely."" The authors go on to say that people are taking the report out of context, and should relax. These kinds of studies are done all the time, thinking about meteor strikes, comet strikes, volcanic eruptions, and "swift, catastrophic climate change", which was the subject of the Pentagon Report, NOT global warming.

That's the media lying, read the actual source, not the BS media. These authors are brilliant men, who have authored a great book on converting to hydrogen fuels. They head a San Francisco think tank.

Average temperatures have increased by one degree in the last 100 years. Left wing loonies are pushing this crud down our throats, using meaningless short time frames and it's all bull#.

The Kyoto treaty, if implemented (won't be), would decrease average temps by .02 degree by 2050. That's according to the proponets. Big whoop. Doing that would cost the US about $250 billion a year. All that while the Third World increases world-wide greenhouse gas emissions anyway, since they get to ignore the emission rules.

The more than 2 billion people in India and China are going to overwhelm any emission decrease the US produces.

This world goes through Ice Ages and Warm Periods all by itself, and always has, with no help from man. In the "Medieval Warm Period," 800-1300AD (look it up) grapes and olives were grown in England, which was tropical then compared to now. That's why Greeen land was named Greenland, it was green back then. It is ice now. 13,000 years ago we were in an Ice Age, now we are in a warm period, and we will have another Ice Age, environmental loonies notwithstanding.

We can't predict the weather accurately 10 days out, in a specific location, but we can predict man's effect on global warming? What a joke. One large volcanic eruption will change the entire picture, and that could happen any day.

When Saddam burned the Kuwaiti oil fields in '91, he put out more pollution than the entire US has emitted in over 100 years.

Fill 'er up and drive...and ignore the chicken littles who said we would run out of oil by 1985. Remember that piece of BS?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Okay, for all of those who haven't read the latest studies on global warming, here are a few little facts.

Fact: The Earth is in a deglaciation period.

Fact: This means Earth is still in an Ice Age.

Fact: The Earth is slightly warming in recovery from a "Little Ice Age" at the end if the mid-evil era.

Fact: While some glaciers receed (the ones we here about in the news) just as many grow by just as much.

Fact: The minute rise in global temps in the past 300 years has actually preceeded the rise in CO2 which has its own fucntion in our atmosphere.

Fact: The Earth has been as much as 10 degrees warmer globally in the past such as the time when the Vikings settled Greenland.

Fact: Climatic changes on Earth are going to happen. The Earth will cool and warm in cycles. Always has, always will. The feeble attempt to make Earth's climate static is laughable at best. It will never happen. We must adapt to the environment or go extinct like every other creature that has ever existed.

Fact: There are several other attributes which have a higher chance of causing the warming perios than human activity. The sun's solar cycles, the Earth's rotational pattern as well as the molten mass under all our feet.

What I'm saying is, the Earth has changed, is changing, and will continue to change on all levels including and most especially climate. It may not always be good for mankind but we are powerless to do anything but adapt or die. To assume that we cause climate changes or can remedy them to suit our needs in nothing less than the extreme of vanity.

Look, I'm not saying this to promote the defacing of the environment. In fact, while all this attention is paid to this fabrication of a theory, real environmental issues are ignored. Think about that.

top topics

join