It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO over Southhampton 01.06.2008

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I can't for the life of me find out where i can access old weather reports for my area.

Any ideas?

I'm just reregistering on an old kite forum i used to frequent, they are wind freaks on there and are bound to have some idea.

Also waiting to join a weather forum, hopefully i'll get some answers there too.

CX.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Could it be a solar hot air balloon?

Found this instruction video on the net:

Solar hot air balloon

And a Youtube video about the same thing:

Youtube: solar hot air balloon

Easy and cheap to make.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muriaz

Damn, the first video gives the dimension of 13 ft which is roughly 4m just what nablator estimated.

Hm..could be difficult ignoring this.

Thanks muriaz have a star.

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muriaz

How cool is that!
Great video, thanks for posting.

Now if i was being sceptical, if you look at the bag in the air at 4:02 on the first video, i'd say theres your black rotating triangle.

I wonder how it manouvres without a line attatched?

Starred from me too.

CX.

[edit on 11/6/08 by CX]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There is a hole in the theory, and I thought of it after i posted

There is no sun to heat the balloons, the weather is cloudy in the OPs video from Southampton. Don't know how much heat is needed to get them up and stay airborn for a while, but it looks like you would need some pretty good weather to get these things up.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I see the resemblance to the solar balloon

but, it is a solar balloon, and the video states that the sun needs to heat the air inside.

The vid from Southampton is shot on a typicaly overcast British day.

Would such a balloon still work?

edit - ^ he beat me to it :p

[edit on 11-6-2008 by maintainright]

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Good point, well i have tracked down someone who can possibly access old weather data, apparently it might get him into a bit of trouble but it's for a worthy cause.
It was nice of him to offer.

I've given him the date and time, just waiting for a reply.

CX.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There is a comment in the article in the Dailyecho which says that the object had a small light in the bottom.
Maybe the balloon had an extra source of heat because of the bad weather.

We made small hot air balloons heated by cottonballs soaked in lighterfluid when I was a kid. But most of the balloons went up in flames

[edit on 11/6/08 by muriaz]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muriaz

Yes these have been common in a rash of ufo sightings and the tell tale is usually the light of the heat source.

If someone has combined the tetrahoon with a heat source than it could well be a possibility.

Also I have seen candle nightlights used with an ordinary bin bag which would mask the flame but clearly the tetrahoon is going to be something else to be aware of.

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Lights are well easy to sort out.

We used to use these ones on our kites when night flying, looks well cool when you have a huge kite with these along the edge.

LED kite lights

Heres what lights on a kite look like in the dark, you can see why these could get mistaken for something unearthly at night.

It's definately not unusual for kite flyers around here to try lights on there kites, i wonder if someone has seen the solar ballon vids on YouTube, stuck a light on the bottom and sent it on it's way for the world to see?

CX.

[edit on 11/6/08 by CX]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sherpa
Yes these have been common in a rash of ufo sightings and the tell tale is usually the light of the heat source.

A newspaper in Holland "NRC Handelsblad" recently published that the company Van Dasler sold 45,000 chinese lantern ballons in 2007 through its website.

If someone has combined the tetrahoon with a heat source than it could well be a possibility.

As there is no reflection from the Sun it is difficult to tell the shape, flat or a tetrahedron. It could also be a helium balloon, or a hot air balloon heated by a UV laser beam from the ground, and tethered by a monofilament nylon line.

edit: spelling

[edit on 2008-6-11 by nablator]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Possibly a kite (not the bird).
Whilst serving in the Navy one sailor launched a kite - on a line - from the ship`s flight deck, after 30 minutes it was about ¼ to ½ mile in the air. He had to release it after an hour as the ship went to flying stations to launch aircraft.
The ship did not operate in the merchant shipping lanes, but if it did and a passenger was to see this in the sky...........

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
nice find
)

defiantly one of the better ufo vids posted in recent times. and relatively close to me as well as im from dorset.

ill keep reading as things progress to the likelihood of it being a weather balloon.

personally it looks like its the real deal but thats just a preliminary thought

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This may also be a result of the cloudy day, but if you notice, the UFO in our video doesn't appear to have any of the 3 supposed sides reflecting like the other videos.

There also doesn't seem to be a point coming out of the bottom like the solar balloons, the best time to look for one would have been as he's zooming in as that's the clearest picture of it when it's still far away.

Still a good catch muriaz

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I see the story is now headline news in the Daily Echo.... along with the 2 videos.

www.dailyecho.co.uk...

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Floyd_pinkerton

I see the story is now headline news in the Daily Echo.... along with the 2 videos.

www.dailyecho.co.uk...

Lol that was because of my phonecall.

The footage - shot on Sunday, June 1 - has caused a buzz among UFO enthusiasts from across the country who have described it as the best they have seen for some time.

An investigation was even launched by Southampton Airport after a worried member of the public alerted bosses.

An airport spokeswoman said: "We received an inquiry about a UFO on Tuesday, they reported seeing a black triangle flying near Millbrook.

That was me!

I did mention ATS to the Daily Echo, but obviously they did'nt give us a mention apart from "UFO enthusiasts".

The airport spokeswoman was nice and real helpfull though, even though it turned up with nothing out of the ordinary.

Nice to see that a few phonecalls can get the media talking about something of interest for a change.

CX.

[edit on 12/6/08 by CX]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
my mate has actually seen one of these, they seem to be fairly common sightings.
i believe that this is genuine footage
the comments made in the car confirmed it for me
and the fact that it seemed to be shot on a phone or basic camera due to the zooming, and it definitely wasn't on the windscreen, and it was movin around a whole lot. i dont think a tracking program could place an object into this footage that well with the same resolution.

great find!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
looks like aurora to me definately man made

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Ok i got a reply, albeit a brief one reference the weather on the day of the sighting.

"The only thing I can tell you was there was a maximum gust of 30 knots, no indication of rain or cloud, but cloud is not normally listed unless it is heavy cloud or rain. This is for a 30mile radius of the post code"

Thats all the info i could get im afraid, although it was good of the guy to get even this much. So we have the wind speed, ok thats a maximum speed but it gets pretty breezy there as it's pretty close to the docks.

Maximum of 30 knots. For those wanting this to do thier sums, i believe from what i see on the converter this is 34.5mph, or 55.6kph, or 15.4m/s, or last but not least, 50.6f/s.

We can see it was'nt raining at the time of the sighting, just a bit overcast by the looks of it.

Not sure if thats any help to the mathmaticians amongst us?

All i know is that i'd be more than happy for a 30 knot wind if i was putting a kite up. Enough to get any object moving around nicely.

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Thanks CX you have been commendably proactive again, well done.

Gusts are one thing but what was the average speed and more specifically what was the speed at 14:30 hours.

I think this is going to be another one of those hard to nail cases again unless more data is forthcoming from other sources such as more witnesses.

I will admit that since the advent of the tetrahoon possibility it has taken the edge off of this case for me but I do applaud your efforts, it can't be said that this has not had adequate research effort.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join