It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is organised religion inherently bigotted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Just a quick question-if you join (or are indoctrinated into) an organised religious group/sect/cult and then wholeheartedly buy into all the non provable,fantastical claims of said beleif system,is it not inevitable that you will start deluding yourself that you are somehow superior to other 'non beleivers'?

I ask this as it seems myopic prejudice and delusions of grandeur appear to be at an all time high on these boards.

Is organised religion inherently bigotted ...as it's sole aim seems to be encouraging adherents to suffer the delusion that they are more special/ chosen/superior to other human beings?

Thanks Karl

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Anything can be corrupted as such. Most people in my belief that are Christians, Muslims, Hinu, Jewish, or Pagan, are not so funimentaly indoctrined as to become extreemists. It's like a rainbow, many shades to the color spectrum, some are more extreeme than others but I feel the majority of these people are looking for a belief system for bettering themselves and becoming better people. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

When however you start to shove your belief system down someone elses throat, or riddicule others because they do not buy into the retoric that your trying to spew. Then it becomes a problem.

Then it becomes a bastardized and unholy shaddow of the real teachings of these religions, and thus the person commiting this attrocity is nulifying the good of their belief. Becoming as evil or worse than the people they dispise and hate with so much passion and exhuberance, they are blinded by it and do become biggoted.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

If you want, you can come out and say which religion you are talking about, all the athiests here hate Christians, but never attack any other religions (like there own), so if you might be talking about Christianity more than others, you might as well go ahead and say it, just one more person adding to list that insult a religion that is really doing a lot of good in the world (at least the real Chrisitans, not mainstream Christians, are). Honestly, I don't think of my self as better or on a higher plain or whatever, I just see myself as some one who found the Truth, that doesn't mak me better, it just means I'm a person who struggles with the same things you do, but I can overcome those things and I have a personal relationship with The Creator.

P.S.
whatuknow, I'm guessing you have a thing for redheads lol.

Edit agian, looks like I spoke too soon, I have a thing for Hayden Panananana (what ever her last name is) too.

Edit one last time, How do you do that? How do you change your pic so fast? Is it magic? It must be

-Jimmy

[edit on 8-6-2008 by jimmyjackblack]

new topics

join