It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever planted a butterfly garden before?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hello, all! I am in need of some guidance and assistance from those more skilled at gardening than I.

I live in Louisiana, currently in the fine city of Baton Rouge, which is apparently in Zone 8 of that color-coded gardening map thingie. It's hot as all get out, and dryer than I remember it usually being this time of year.

I want to plant a garden to attract and feed butterflies. I love butterflies and hummingbirds, and am looking for nectar-rich plants and other attractants that will be suitable for this climate.

Has anyone ever planted a butterfly garden before? Can you recommend plants that are functional, beautiful and heat-tolerant?

I am planning a total of three gardens. A smallish one in my backyard, which my dining room window looks over, a larger one in my front yard around and between two large cypress trees, and a small patch near my front door. The patch by the door will feature a pond with a (really tiny) waterfall, and will have some smaller plants and a palm tree spaced out around it.

The backyard garden gets full sun all day (faces North), the big front garden will face the South and get a lot of sun most of the day, while the little patch gets the sun last and loses it first, but is bright all day in between.

Any advice? I know I want some hibiscus in there, as those are pretty and grow so well down here. The hummingbirds and butterflies also seem to like the two big crepe myrtle trees I have in my backyard, but I really don't want any more of those, as they're quite messy.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!!!

join