It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Suggestions ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

Ok here is my dilemma ...

I have been looking for a good Ebook Writer (download). I have tried a couple ... 'Ebook Maestro Pro' ... 'Visual Vision' ... Docu-desk.

Out of these 'VV' was the easiest (essential for me) but when I was 12 pages away from finishing the final edit my computer froze and I lost everything on that particular file.
(you can't begin to imagine)

Obviously I have plenty of copies but it was so frustrating to be so damn close to completion

So before I re-start tomorrow (I had to give myself a couple of days breathing space) ... I was just wondering if anyone out there knows any really good 'writers' essential requirements are as follows;

1/ Extremely easy to use (and I can't stress how serious I am about the 'easy' part).

2/ Cheap ... or better still FREE (another one I had a trial with was 'desktopauthor'), brilliant ... but expensive !

3/ Must be capable of holding complete book contents (min 160 pages - max 400 pages).

4/ Must have editing tools and be able to upload text / images straight from my computer files.

5/ Must have password facility for security purposes when selling from my website.

6/ Preferably PFD but will consider HTML programmes

Any help that you can offer would be most welcome because I've already set my launch date for Friday 13th and I don't want to delay it.

PLEASE HELP ME !

Woody

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I dont really use e-book formats.

Instead I write my text into Word or OpenOffice and OpenOffice has a function with which you can transfer it into PDF and then offer the PDF-File as your "e-book".

Your thoughts on that?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I dont really use e-book formats.

Instead I write my text into Word or OpenOffice and OpenOffice has a function with which you can transfer it into PDF and then offer the PDF-File as your "e-book".

Your thoughts on that?

That's the way I was going to suggest too. I come from a DTP background using QuarkXpress and InDesign and always had reservations over the likes of Word and Publisher, but I've found over the last couple of years creating documents in Word and outputting as a PDF has been quick and easy as long as you're not getting too creative with the layout.

That said, I'm not sure about outputting to PDF with security features. I do it from within Acrobat Professional, but I've not sure about being able to apply anything like that just by using some kind of plug-in or add-on attached to another programme.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As I use ebooks with Microsoft .lit format I use a Word plug-in that turns a Word document into a .lit file.

I like Microsoft's format because it lets us add bookmarks, text and drawing notes and has an add-in dictionary.

I think that Microsoft's format allows protection, but the above mentioned Word plug-in does not do it.

I also make PDF versions of the ebooks I create (from Project Gutemberg files, for private use), and for that I use Primo PDF, a free PDF creator that works like a printer.

Read in Microsoft Reader (Word plug-in)
Other downloads
Primo PDF

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ok, here's something for those who aren't really that comfortable or familiar with using OpenOffice, it's kinda like the aforementioned Primo PDF.

doPDF6.1 installs itself as a virtual PDF printer driver so after a successful installation will appear in your Printers and Faxes list. To convert to PDF, you just have to print the document to doPDF, the free pdf converter. Open a document (with Microsoft Word, WordPad, NotePad or any other software), choose Print and select doPDF. It will ask you where to save the PDF file and when finished, the PDF file will be automatically opened in your default PDF viewer.

doPDF

top topics

join