It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do ghosts disappear with light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I was wondering what others theories were concerning this phenomenon. In the hundreds and hundreds of true ghost stories I've read over the years, I have noticed that a majority of them point out that the "Entity" or "Ghost" disappeared the moment light was introduced into the area. (when the experience took place in the dark of course) Why do you think this is?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You know i dont really know why. Thats weird.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Perhaps the light the ghosts emit isn't that bright. That would mean that putting light into the area would overshadow the light that the ghost is emiting.
Thats my theory, at least.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
cuz it BURNS!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! GET IT OFF!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Was that really necessary SilQ???

Anyway... I agree Psionicgamer on the light probably overshadowing the ghost. Although ghosts are also seen in daylight.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think probably to much ambient light will "wash out" the projection of a spirit, i think that the light levels have to be low so that the human eye can pick up the differences.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
its probably because they are half asleep when they see them and then the light makes them wake up. so in otherwords...no ghosts.
just my opinion, dont flame me.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Because ghosts are lost souls and want to stay in the physical world. I'm not exactly sure here if my theory is correct, but I'm presuming, that the light that ends most contacts with ghosts or entities is because they probably think that that's the light of the Creator and don't want to go up yet.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
...but how can you tell a ghost from an elaborately projected mental hallucination which would have affected your senses, such as hearing and seeing?

this is a question that has been keeping me from believing in ghosts for a long time. if you answer it, I would appreciate it very much.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
why are they lost souls though? if god can create the whole universe cant he make a few souls go to heaven/hell?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
puppets, maybe he gives them a choice?

anyways, I think maybe people associate ghosts with scary things, so majority of ghost stories have happened at night. If you flash a light on it and it just stayed there it wouldnt be as mystical. If it suddenly disappeared it would leave more suspense, thus making the story more interesting.

the catalyst, i really like your theory

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
but it can't apply to all ghosts because there are lots of stories, encounters, even my own personal experience with ghosts during the day.

so I don't know, maybe there are different types, ones that draw power from the darkness and others which can come in any light...maybe it also has to do with their motives for appearing??

top topics

join