It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Anything Not to Go Back'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

I think that folks who have already been there (regardless of the number of times) have every right to call these people what they are.

How can you have compassion for someone who breaks a legal contract? They knew the risks going in, and decided that it was just too difficult for them to do anymore.

Boo Frickin Hoo.

I personally do not support the war in Iraq, but I do support the Soldiers, who believe they are making a Difference. I wish I believed in anything, as much as these Soldiers believe in what they are doing - They believe in it enough, that they would die.

Any Man or Woman who will stand and Fight for their Country, because they Believe it is what they should be doing, should be honored. Even if I personally don't agree with what they are fighting for - I dont have the right to call them a Coward. Any Person who stands in my place on the Front Line, deserves all the resepct I can give them. Any person who believes they are fighting for their Country, their Family, their Citiziens. Who the heck am I to question why they don't want to go back? All I need to know, is that they were there so I didn't have to be.

People need to understand, that everyone is wired differently. My level of tolerance is most likely different than everyone else on this thread. The amount of Stress I can handle, the amount of trauma I can endure...everyone is different. These soldiers don't just "decide" that they can't do it. They Psychologically, CAN NOT do it, and it is NOT your place to judge them for it. Not when they are/were fighting for YOU. I'm wondering if maybe you should take some Psych classes, to better understand Human Behavior, and why people do what they do.

If they discover that after a tour, that they can't go back; or after a day they realize they can't be there...They have still spent one more day there than I have, and anyone who has that kind of Courage in the first place, is a Hero. Who am I to question your tolerance? Who am I to question how much you can take? Who am I to force you into doing it again, if you don't want to do it? Who am I, to call you a Coward? I am No One.

I disagree completely - You don't have the right to call your Soldiers Cowards. You soldiers do the job that you don't want to do, who are you to question them? How DARE you call the Soldiers who believe they are protecting you Cowards?

Your soldiers believe they are fighting for your Freedom, so do yourself a favor...either

a.) Enllist, and go show the "Cowards" how to do their jobs right.
or
b.) Shut it and enjoy the Freedom you have.

-Carrot

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
And when we bring the troops back (if we ever do in the near-term) we not only have to pay huge amounts of money to bring the troops home but all the money it will take to bring the contractors back. Especially since, from what I understand, there are more security contractors in Iraq than military soldiers.. Noone ever talks about the security contractors having problems. Shows how good companies like Blackwater can keep that stuff under wraps. Of coarse it always helps morale when you make orders of magnitude over what the actual soldiers make.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
I disagree completely - You don't have the right to call your Soldiers Cowards. You soldiers do the job that you don't want to do, who are you to question them? How DARE you call the Soldiers who believe they are protecting you Cowards?

I have every right to call them whatever I want. I was given that right over 200 years ago.

Your soldiers believe they are fighting for your Freedom, so do yourself a favor...either
a.) Enllist, and go show the "Cowards" how to do their jobs right.
or
b.) Shut it and enjoy the Freedom you have.
-Carrot

News Flash, I am on active duty now. I have already done my time over there and can expect to go back at least once more. I reserve the right to call these folks as I see them.

How does that crow taste?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

Well, I can't make you understand where I'm coming from, or why I believe what I believe; anymore than you can make me understand why you believe you have earned the right to call your Fellow Soldiers Cowards. We are obviously going to disagree.

Perhaps I should clarify: You have the right to say whatever you want, however, I believe it is unfair, unprofessional, and innapropriate to call fellow soldiers Cowards. I've never been to war, and I don't know what its like. But Im sure that if I ever fought in a war, I would have some psychological issues - shooting another person is bound to have some effect on some people.

Maybe your level of tolerance is different than some of those guys, but you just need to understand their experiences with war (which might be different than yours), effects different people differently. Perhaps this has had a serious effect on them psychologically and they could be suffering from post-traumatic stress.

PS. I didn't know you were active, and I didn't mean any disrespect to you. I just think that everyone who has the guts to go to war, deserves Respect, regardless of how long they were there, what they did, or why they went.

-Carrot

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i think people who are in military had no common sense in the first place to sign in... now they shooting their knee,what is this war for ? why dont they all rerfuse to fight and come home, we never meant to be an empire but republic so come home

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is nothing new - it has nothing whatsoever to do with an "unjust" war. Soldiers from the beginning of time have done the same... check the facts. Just check out WWI, WWII, Vietnam - any war. There are records of Romans doing the same....

Anytime there has ever been an armed conflict, and people have been involved in it, there have been those who psychologically just couldn't deal with it. Now they call it PSTD (or is there a new name?) In England, during the first WW, they called such men cowards, and once they got well, were often shot. In WWI we called it "shell shocked." In WWII, it was "battle fatigue." It will always happen -

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by k3456789

If it weren't for people in the military, you wouldn't have the right to post the things you do - or have the freedoms you do. But, perhaps people will get a chance to see what happens if we don't have a strong military, if Obama gets elected. Because he has pretty much said he wants to dismantle it. If that happens, it will be interesting to see how nice talk and rhetoric works against despots....not too well, I think.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Security contractors are a different breed. As are the ones who sign up for additional tours. They know what they're getting themselves into, and clearly have the wiring to deal with it.

As one poster said, everyone is wired differently, and as we all know, reality is usually a whole lot different than reading about something or even training for something. I remember before I had kids - I'd read every book in print. Just about. But, nothing prepared me for when they actually came. My first 2 were 4 and 10. It was the worst and one of the most difficult years of my life. Nothing I had read really read, or the people I had talked with really prepared me for the reality.

All who go to war, all who kill, all who are afraid they will be killed are affected in some way. In our world today, however, things are talked about way more than they ever were before. Even 50 years after WWII, most of tech men had been affected in ways they couldn't describe except to others who had been in the same situation. Most of them just stuck it into a compartment inside, and carried on. But, it didn't mean they weren't affected. As are those who go back to Iraq time and time again.

Plus, as far as contractors go - I've known a few. Emotionally, many of them weren't like most people. Otherwise, I doubt if they could have done what they did. I've known a few who were snipers or recon in Vietnam - while they all had jobs, there was a part of them that was really different than most people. And separate from most people.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by radmdau
If it weren't for people in the military, you wouldn't have the right to post the things you do -

And why not? When last were the US armed forces ACTIVELY used to ensure the safety of the continental USA and why have they been involved in so many wars since?

or have the freedoms you do.

I am sure the black liberation movement in the US thanked the US army for guaranteeing their 'rights'...... Isn't it in fact true that standing armies have most often served the conquerors instead of the people of their country?

But, perhaps people will get a chance to see what happens if we don't have a strong military, if Obama gets elected.

The US have not had a strong enough military to ward off the many Russian strategic advantages for decades now so what the hell Obama has to do with that i don't know. Why not blame Clinton for the run down of the US armed forces and the continued spending on wasteful military programs such as the F-35/F-22?

Because he has pretty much said he wants to dismantle it.

Where did he say, claim or suggest that?

If that happens, it will be interesting to see how nice talk and rhetoric works against despots....not too well, I think.

Sure that rarely works against despots and that is why everyone is trying to get a few nukes to ward of American aggression against their nations. If negotiation were possible with the imperial/capitalist mindset poor countries would not have had the very real excuse that they are arming in self defense.

Stellar

<< 1  2   >>

join