It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Clone Humans For Organs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think the thread title says it all, should we clone humans from our own flesh for body parts? Whilst this idea is a little way off due to technical issues, should it be allowed?

Lets say we can create a human clone without it's brain, this would take a good many more years of research but it's possible. Should we alow it? Afterall the clone would not be concious, it would not have memories or feelings, it would simply be a hunk of flesh acting as an incubator. Whilst we may be able to construct single organs from stem cells, a whole body replication would be a major step. Maybe one day we could even transfer our brains into such bodies. I know that sounds like science fiction but some russian scientists many years ago already sewed a dogs head onto another dog or one scientist even managed to seperate the head from the body entirely and keep it alive.

So the question is would you have a second body grown for spare parts?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Nope.

I say that those scientists need to get to work on cell regeneration and the means with which to stop the cells we already have from becoming susceptible to disease or suchlike.

I think we're selling this technology short with the idea of 'spare parts' really.

And of course, now i'm onto the fact that 'spare parts' are actually just a way for certain protagonists in the science community to disarm the religious community as a whole - no one's turned around yet and said "Actually, we don't need to clone humans, we can just get the human body to regenerate quicker".

Spare parts?

Don't be so naive.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

And of course, now i'm onto the fact that 'spare parts' are actually just a way for certain protagonists in the science community to disarm the religious community as a whole - no one's turned around yet and said "Actually, we don't need to clone humans, we can just get the human body to regenerate quicker".

Spare parts?

Don't be so naive.

I'm not naive, the regeneration technology is very interesting but in mainstream science it's pretty far away. The recent regrowing of a finger is currently under scrutiny for example. The liver as we know regenerates itself and is researched heavily because of that, however getting other organs to do such things may take a while. In the mean time i think spare parts is a perfectly acceptable idea as long as any full grown body doesn't include a brain.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
No, it's a waste of time and money.

Scientists can already grow new organs without the use of clones. Why bother with clones when we can just grow the organs themselves?

Granted, right now it's a lengthy process, and only works for bladders, but it won't be long before this can be done for any organ. I'd give it 20 years before this technique is being used on a regular basis.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't see anything morally or ethically wrong with it. I'm think some religious folks who think an embryonic stem cell is a human life will have issues.
But as some others have said, there are more efficient ways of creating spare parts.

As far as cloning a whole body to be used in a brain transplant, I'm sure we are a many, many years away from this if it is even possible., and only the very wealthy would be able to afford it. It will probably meet with even more opposition from people simply because they hate the idea of the rich cheating death while they are stuck in their aging bodies.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Flory]

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Flory]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Cell Regeneration...

that seems like immortality.

Interesting indeed.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

In the mean time i think spare parts is a perfectly acceptable idea as long as any full grown body doesn't include a brain.

What exactly is it about the brain that makes you think it's okay to clone humans if the clone doesn't have one?

By that stage we will have learnt to speed up the rate of development anyway, unless you want to stick a brainless infant inside someone's womb.

I don't think you'll get very many offers for surrogates for spare parts, for some reason.

And of course, if you're talking about modifying cells so they grow into specific organs, then wouldn't that essentially be the same as causing the body to regenerate those organs anyway?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

I don't think you'll get very many offers for surrogates for spare parts, for some reason.

I doubt that will be a problem for those with enough money, if it's the woman who needs the parts, or perhaps a loving or coerced spouse.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Flory

If the second part of that post was directed towards me, then i'm sorry to say it but i'm going to have to take a fairly radical stance on the matter;

Women should not be used as objects, not even if they are willingly doing it.

I'd say the same about Men too.

What you suggest only goes even further towards reducing the human body to nothing more than a product to be brought and sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point someone comes up with the idea of having cloned slaves at this rate.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

We have enough problems without having to police what people want to do with their own bodies. The clone itself is a separate issue. I can see there being legitimate concerns, but growing a clone without a brain is a big difference than making a conscious human a slave, regardless of how that human was created.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flory

I can see there being legitimate concerns, but growing a clone without a brain is a big difference than making a conscious human a slave, regardless of how that human was created.

Well done, you've ignored the implications of the mentality you exhibit.

Which is what i was getting at, is wasn't saying that it's a current issue, but that it's very likely that it will come up at some point if we continue down the path we are currently treading.

How exactly can we grow a human without a brain when the brain is nessecary to maintain those organs in the first place, anyway?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I didn't say we can do it now. I know we can't. I was responding to the OPs suggestion that if one day it is possible. Different parts of the brain control different functions. They may be able to create a clone without the parts that control consciousness. As far as I know, a functioning brainstem is all the body needs.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Flory

If that was true, then we wouldn't be talking about cloning spare parts, would we?

I strongly think that the most important research we could do at this point has to do with that brain stem, though, so good on you for bringing it up.

The spinal cord holds the secrets, i can feel it...

new topics

top topics

join