It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
How does your garden grow?

I've seen a lot of activity this spring on growing a garden, and a lot of folks were planning on trying it. So I was wondering, now that summer is here, how did it go? Or how is it going?

I got a late start on mine, and the deer are being their usual pesky selves. My green peas are all but gone, just little shoots that get gnawed back every time they try to grow a leaf. I'm setting up an electric fence now to take care of that little problem.

Yellow squash and cucumbers are growing like mad, and should be blooming soon. We're going to have enough okra to feed the entire county, apparently, and the prettiest crop of pinto beans you ever saw are well on their way to fruition.

The new heirloom corn I found is coming up good, about a foot tall now, and the blackeyed peas mixed in it are doing fine as well. The tomatos had a rough time when we transplanted them, but they have survived and are growing again. Not so good with the onions, but some did survive the shock.

Watermelons are coming up and starting to run, and we have a nice crop of carrots poking through the soil. Anyone else want to give an update?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Living in the north, I just got my garden in last weekend. We've had two days of 90 degree weather, and so far my tomatoes aren't burnt up. I've got tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchini and 4 long rows of my family's heirloom green beans. The beans are cornfield beans, but I didn't plant corn this year, so I've got to rig up something that the beans can grow up.

I hope my garden does well this year. There's nothing better than home grown veggies!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Takes more heat than that for tomatoes to die. I grow them in Arizona, and get them to grow up to 100 degrees.

Ama

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I put my garden in on Good Friday (supposed to be lucky) here in Louisiana.

I have already put green and wax beans in the freezer, chinese pea pods, and green peas.

We have already had meals with items that I have frozen. My zucchini is really starting to take off, along with my cucumbers, banana peppers, and bell peppers. We have also had tomatoes for a couple of weeks, plus red potatoes.

It's been very dry here for a few weeks, and I have had to water my corn twice a day for the last 2 weeks. Some neighbors have had theirs dry up in the field. We have had a few ears to eat, they are smaller than usual but very sweet.

I just noticed yesterday that my canteloupe has a few small fruits on it, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it grows well because it's been very hot here so far this month!

So far my garden is doing well this year!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Last year I had about twenty four tomato plants in of different variety. They made awesome homemade pasta and picante sauces. This year due to some, sigh?, health issues I have weeds three feet high that are about to flower. If I don't get out their and cut them the villagers with torches are coming after me.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
We've got a few raised beds. Here's a picture of the squash bed (butternut and acorn) and 2 pictures of the greens bed, which we're eating from every day. We have another raised bed/greenhouse and a few peppers in pots around the place. It's going pretty well. We're also going to plant fall potatoes next weekend.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I know this is probably a stupid question Benevolent, but, how do you keep the soil from going thru the chicken wire? What do you use as a base?
Thanks

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Takes more heat than that for tomatoes to die. I grow them in Arizona, and get them to grow up to 100 degrees.

Ama

I had my tomatoes still in containers a little over a week ago and they got frost damage. They weren't recovered when I planted them in the ground. Going from frost to 90+ temps that fast has affected them. My biggest tomato plant might not make it. I took a look at it a little while ago and it's not looking good.

I planted 10 tomato plants this year, 4 cabbage, 4 cukes, 1 zucchini and lots and lots of green beans.

You all that live in the south are lucky you can start your gardens early.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

In the first picture, what you're looking at is the lid of the garden to keep birds out. It fits over the squash garden. It's just sitting to the side while my husband waters. The beds themselves are made of wood.

Here's a picture from last year with the lid on.

And a picture of our "coldframe".

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Here in Ontario, Canada there is risk of frost until basically the end of May, so I only put my garden in last weekend. I had been growing seeds in wet paper towels since March 30th and then transferred them into small planting pots though.

Now I've got quite a few banana peppers, 2 rows of cucumbers, 4 or so rows of beans, about 10 tomato plants, some zucchini, a row of radishes, and lots of lettuce going. Most of them are still pretty small.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We planted our first garden this year and so far it has done very well. I've already cut lettuce, basil and cilantro. My green beans are coming along nicely as well as my corn. We also planted broccoli, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, white and yellow onions, cucumbers, watermelon and carrots. I'm getting ready to go out and plant my pumpkins in a couple of days. We've had lots of rain here in Oklahoma as of late or I would've already had them in the ground. We've not used any fertilizer as the patch of land we planted in had never been used before and the plants are growing like crazy. So far, so good. I've roped my mom into coming over and teaching me how to can. Oh.. also planted strawberry plants in a large container and had three strawberries but the ants got them. I think we've got them taken care of now though. Can' wait until everything is ready to harvest!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
That will do it. Thats what happened to my grass this year. It was just starting to come up, ( can not be colder than 70 at night to plant it) was 106 outside, then we got that freak hail storm, and the temps dived, and nailed my newly growing grass. It killed half of it, so my yard is now half grass half dirt
Have to go get more seed.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well, I got my first mess of squash today, 11 pods of yellow crookneck. Looks like we'll be eating a lot of squash for a while, since I planted 100 feet of the things.
Cukes are putting on now, so should have them coming in soon, tomatoes are beautiful but not putting on yet, pinto beans are blooming and running like crazy.

I hope everyone else is having a good harvest as well!

TheRedneck

top topics

join