It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levitican Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
So the bible is said to be taken as a whole and not to pick and choose right? So where do we in our modern age stand on the levitican laws?

Some of my favorite Levitican Laws
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.
If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.
Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.
If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.
People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God

Deuteronomy has a couple of questionable laws as well….
Kill anyone with a different religion.
If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it's inhabitants... even the animals.

Now some may say that these were superseded by the 10 commandments but they were written AFTER the Ten Commandments.

Have these laws have been revoked? I know Jesus said “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments"

This is answering the Pharisee testing him on the Ten Commandments. Nothing mentioned about the Levitican Laws.

Should we as God fearing Christians be practicing and executing (so to speak) these laws?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

the chances of finding real christians running our governments are slim to none so we don't have any choice in what kind of laws our governments enforce onto us.
no one ,real christian or otherwise has any authority to take the law into their own hands.
after moses was dead and joshua these laws were for the most part ignored by israel and they just did whatever they felt like just as most do today that couldn't care less about G-D's laws or for that matter the present laws of their own countries.
if G-D's laws were enforced by our governments i dare say there would be a dramatic decrease in the levels of crime and we would see mostly empty prisons------not because of executing those worthy of death but because most sane people would not want to get caught breaking the law after witnessing a few public executions or seeing someone having to pay back to the owner or property they stole up to 5x what it was worth after being caught.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

God brought up the Israelites from Egypt to fulfill His promise to Abraham.
Certain laws were established for how that nation would come into being.
As Christians, we live in a different world, than that nation.
We are given the same benefits as we would have gotten, if we were natural descendants of Abraham.
We make up a spiritual kingdom that exists in the midst of the material world.
We have to live by spiritual laws.
It is not a matter of picking and choosing among the laws.
The old testament is a story of the ultimate failure of a system that did not keep up the spiritual aspect of its religion and only kept the outside image of it.
Jesus came to tell us that we need to give attention to our own inner development and to not be satisfied with going through the motions of a religion that had lost all its original meaning.
About the Pharisees, Jesus said, Do as they say but not as they do, for they sit in the seat of Moses.
So, Jesus did not throw out the Law.
In Jesus' time the Pharisees were working to mitigate a lot of the more offensive practices.
They were actually pretty liberal, for their age.
The example of the woman caught in adultery may not have been a normal way of dealing with that situation.
They were testing Jesus to see if he would tell them to go ahead and stone her.
He ended up doing something that left them feeling unsatisfied and annoyed.
We should not find ourselves in that predicament.
We should have evolved spiritually enough to know we need to look at our own behavior, before getting all worked up about what someone else is doing.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is largely my point. Since these levitican laws are no longer valid, (and many are just plain silly) the churches of today still quote them as arguments against homosexuality, incest and beastiality among other things. I do not in anyway condone any of these things, but quoting Leviticus or Deuteronomy as reasons to not practice these things is an invalid argument. Does it mean these thing are OK? Are there other biblical references to say they are immoral or spiritually wrong?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey

after moses was dead and joshua these laws were for the most part ignored by israel and they just did whatever they felt like just as most do today that couldn't care less about G-D's laws or for that matter the present laws of their own countries.

This is the most ignorant piece of crud I've ever read, not to mention bordering on anti-semitic with that snide comment about following the present laws of their own countries! Firstly, Jewish tradition has a whole different way of answering the OP's question than Christians, so please don't try to answer for us.

From a Jewish perspective, for the OP's information and to correct stupidity like that above, reading those laws without reference to the Oral Torah which was also given to Moses at the same time as the rest of the Written Torah, removes most of the meaning from the text - the two must be taken together to understand fully.

Sorry to take it off-topic, I know the OP asked specifically for Christian responses, but that post in the quote really incensed me.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Jesus fulfilled the law so we don’t have to go through priest or do sacrifices any longer. We can now go through Jesus to God not a priest.

Christian are under Grace by Jesus. Jesus fulfilled the laws. These laws were for the Jews, gentiles were not even consider at this time period. However, thanks to Jesus we all now have a chance and we do not have to go through that kind of stuff any longer.

For some reason reason I think you already know all of this.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
To further press Shar's point,

10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." 11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Galatians 3:10-13

That's why we don't observe levitical law as Christians.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Hello There

Levitcus has a lot to do with the ceremonial Law, all ceremonial law has been abolished in Christ.

However your comments also include other facets, such as sexual,

the earthly punishments of sin have also been abolished by Christ

Colossians 2:14 KJV

blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

we ar enot to judge those that sin, judge as in sentence, we can judge an action and words etc with the bible as the standard but we cannot condemn. that is not our lot as it for the Lord only.

that said the laws still stand and to be observed to the best of our abilities, where they are not ceremonial, IMHO.

david

david

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Hello Shah,

i understand that the earthly punishment of sin was done away with Christ
but i don't believe the law itself was done away with. There are parables about the stranger being grafted into the root etc

Also how can we sin if we do not know the law as sinning is breaking the Law

Romans 6:15 KJV

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Romans 7:7 KJV

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

These and others show, to me, it is clear the law is to be observed wherever and whenever possible. only the punishments and ceremonial law has been abolished. Whenever i ask myself has the law been done away with i simply ask myself if God will live with us without rules. I believe not.

Grace is forgiveness in my opinion.

Any way take care Shah

david

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

hello Interested

this scripture is a little out of context i believe.

here we have Paul writing to the Galatians and reiterating that they have received the holy spirit through faith and not from any observance in the law verse 11 goes on to state to them that they are not JUSTIFIED by observance of the Law but by faith.

Paul sees the requirement after false teaching has crept into the church there. We can see this by the opening few words in his letter

Galatians 3:1 KJV

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you

verse 6 in the chapter, for me, gives the context and shows that although we have to obey the Law/God we are ALL saved by faith including those in the OT times.

Galatians 3:6 KJV

Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Verses 7 and 8 clearly demonstrate, IMHO, that Gentiles etc are to be treated in the same way

Galatians 3:7-8 KJV

Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Take care

david

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hello, The laws which we as Christians mainly have to still go by is the ones Jesus also spoke about. Which he did re teach the 10 commandments to us all. Jesus said the laws were made for man not man for the laws. I could put more verses however, this should be enough.

Mark 2
23 And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.
24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?
25 And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?
26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Mark 3
1 And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.
2 And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.
3 And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth.
4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.
5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Roman 6

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Galatians 2
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Matthew 22 (King James Version)
34But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

If you read the ten commandments you won’t really find either of these as they were spoken by Jesus. The point here is that if you love God and accept His Spirit into your heart and you always strive to treat others around you with respect, dignity and love then there really isn’t any need for commandments.

All the laws and commandments will fall in line. The Law of Moses was given to the Jews by God as their constitution sort of speak. Just like we have the constitution and amendments, so the Jews had the Levitial law. It just so happens that, sense they were God’s people in those days the laws were made by God Himself for the Jews.

To be honest, our laws were given to us by God as well because it was due to the incursion of English laws on peoples writes to worship God that our country even began. And our forefathers intended our constitution to be based on the Ten Commandments not for salvation but for guidance that all would know God’s will and would be free to follow it.

As with anything that is subject to man’s influence, however, our constitution (law) has been subverted by evil mean to fit their own will and God’s laws were even subject to amendments for the very same reason.

Matthew 19 (King James Version)
1And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judea beyond Jordan;
2And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there.
3The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

So you can see that the law was imperfect and was merely used to show the individuals desire in his heart for forgiveness of his sins. Since they did not have the Holy Spirit in the days prior to Christ’s resurrection and assention, they needed the law to show them God’s will. But Jesus as the perfect sacrifice and the Holy Spirit as our personal link to God and Christ means we have the law in our hearts when we become saved.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by lonewolf37]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I used this post in another thread about the death penalty but the two relate very closely so I am using it here as well.

Jesus came to fulfill the law as it pertains to salvation and our eternal souls. We no longer have to go to human priest under the law and make sacrifices of animals to cover our sins. Our sins are covered by the Blood of the Lamb of God His Son Jesus Christ. He became the ultimate sacrifice for all of us and put what were known as the gentiles on the same playing field as the Jews, God’s chosen people.
Now, with that being said, the other purpose of ‘Levitical Law’ or Moses’ Law was to be a societal structure of right and wrong as all laws are. In the case of the Old Testament Jews their law was also their religion and their religion was their law. There really was no distinction between the two.

1 Timothy 1 (King James Version)

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

In our government religion is separated from law (government), too greatly in my opinion, but there is nothing wrong with basing our laws off of Bible law. Because God gave it to us as a guide for those who do not have moral values in them and lack the ability to do the right thing on their own.
So we need laws as guidelines for everyone to know their limits and what the penalties are for over stepping those limits. That’s why our laws, and almost all other laws in the whole world, use the Ten Commandments as the cornerstone. Each country has its own laws for society, but they are all built on the basics of the Ten Commandments given to us by God.

Numbers 35 (King James Version)
29So these things shall be for a statute of judgment unto you throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
30Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die.
31Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death.

Therefore, it appears to me that there is nothing wrong with a murderer being put to death as long as it is not just based on the word of only one witness. In other words if there is clear evidence that someone has committed a murder, then he should be put to death. If that person is a Christian and, in a moment of some type of bad judgment, kills another human being, they should have no problem with accepting the consequences of their actions. Like wise a truly repented person, who has accepted Christ in prison after taking another’s life would likely accept their punishment and trust that they would be with God afterwards.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
hello Shah

yes my post want too clear on re reading

I agree its the 10 commandments that are still to be observed, however i also feel that those things God considers an abomination/Evil should be avoided also

david

join