It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perfect form of stupidity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I couldnt believe this when i read it,at first i thought it was a typo.Wow poor dude.

Man jumps from plane with no parachute, dies

Sat Jun 7, 7:51 PM ET

DUANESBURG, N.Y. - A 29-year-old man leaped out of a plane at 10,000 feet with a camera but no parachute Saturday. His body was found next to a house with a damaged roof, police said.

Sloan Carafello of Schenectady, who was observing on the flight, followed an instructor, student and videographer out the door, wearing no skydiving gear, officials said.

Police said they did not suspect foul play but would not elaborate.

Robert Rawlins, pilot and owner of the Duanesburg Skydiving Club, said he was flying the single-engine plane and had begun to close the door when Carafello jumped.

His body was found next to a house west of Albany.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 7-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Did he have children? This sounds like a Darwin Awards winner to me!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I can't say what he was thinking to do such a thing, but I can guarantee his next two thoughts were;
*Oh crap*
and then,
*This is gonna leave a mark*

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Did he have children? This sounds like a Darwin Awards winner to me!

TheRedneck

Darwin Awards, I recall watching a movie called that. Movie actually made sense. Another one is Iditocracy, it made sense too. Scary thought.

Anyway back on topic...
Wonder if the man was mentally challenged and didn't understand the reason the others left the plane. Must have been horrible.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar

Sloan Carafello of Schenectady, who was observing on the flight, followed an instructor, student and videographer out the door, wearing no skydiving gear, officials said.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by alienstar]

It says he was just supposed to be observing. I wonder if it was suicide.

Or maybe he was an experienced diver and used to always jumping. So he just did it automatically.

There supposed to be precautions, including always having a buddy check your gear before you jump.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
this makes me think of Point Break. Maybe his plan was to catch one of the guys that DID have a parachute, like Reeves did in the movie.

Darwin Awards, indeed!

EDIT: I can't resist... YouTube vidz

See you in hell, Johnny! (Point Break)

Skydiving - No Parachute!

Jackass No-Parachute Jump

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Earthscum]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
unless he was mentally disabled, my guess would be suicide. wouldn't you think. i am not a skydiver myself, but i would think no matter HOW many times you jumped, you would never forget your gear...... actually, i would think the more you jumped, the more you would be aware if your gear wasn't on. very odd.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
unless he was mentally disabled, my guess would be suicide. wouldn't you think. i am not a skydiver myself, but i would think no matter HOW many times you jumped, you would never forget your gear...... actually, i would think the more you jumped, the more you would be aware if your gear wasn't on. very odd.

lol... check above ^^^^ Some people are just CRAZY! (was editing to add while you posted)

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wouldnt you think that parachutes are kinda heavy?I mean if you notice some people in videos as they jump out,they fall on there back on the way down.Thats like a 60 second freefall,10 seconds to notice it gone and wow 50 seconds of the worst terror in your mind to know your life is over.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I suppose he could have went to the door to watch and either slipped/fell out of it. Not being a skydiver, I have no idea of the air effects around the open door or whether it might cause some illusion which effected him.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Please keep in mind that this young man had family and friends, and to say things like he's "stupid" or "mentally challenged" is not something they want to read about on the internet.

Follow this link to the news article:

timesunion.com.../9/2008&TextPage=1

Police are saying it was a suicide. People commit suicide every day...its sad and not something that should be made fun of.

new topics

top topics

join