It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. is The 'World's Leading Jailer' :Human Rights Watch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

U.S. is The 'World's Leading Jailer' :Human Rights Watch

rawstory.com

The United States has 2.3 million people behind bars, more than any other country in the world and more than ever before in its history, Human Rights Watch said Friday.

The number represents an incarceration rate of 762 per 100,000 residents, compared to 152 per 100,000 in Britain, 108 in Canada, and 91 in France, HRW said in a statement commenting on Justice Department figures also released Friday.

"The new incarceration figures confirm the United States as the world's leading jailer," said David Fahti, HRW's US program director.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Haha...Welcome to "The Land of The Free", where the highest percentage of peons on earth are behind bars!

My feeling is that this statistic is going to become MUCH more exponential as our emerging fascist police state continues slithering into our lives...The Homegrown terrorist Act and MAIN-CORE will likely be upping the shackled population quite a bit more in the not too distant future I'm sure...

"The new incarceration figures confirm the United States as the world's leading jailer," said David Fahti, HRW's US program director.

"Americans should ask why the US locks up so many more people than do Canada, Britain, and other democracies," he added.

The newly released figures show a sharp racial imbalance in the US prison population, with blacks outnumbering whites by six to one.

Nearly 11 percent of black men aged 30-34 are in prison, according to Justice Department figures.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Let's look at the whole picture before making assumptions now please, let's take into account that we have the highest amount of illegal immigrants come than any other country in the world which commit crimes and we have to put them in jail because Mexico(there are other but mainly them) can not handle their responsibility. Many of those there are also people who have been caught for petty drug crimes, America and I am proud to say it cracks down on drugs harder than other countries, if you are in the possession of illegal drugs there is a good chance you are going to jail. I think it proves that American authorities are just doing their job .

Have a good day ol chap!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Ask your beloved "Human Rights Watch" how many Chinese are imprisoned? North Koreans? How about the estimated 50 million people that died in the Russian gulags? Or the almost 2 million killed by the Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot?

Or the public hangings of homosexuals in Iran?

Another typical anti-American thread from one of the biggest America-haters on the forum, from his favorite source of "breaking news", rawstory.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Baxtoriafall

Uh...yeah...Cuz I really want my taxpayer dollars funding some guys stay and 3 meals a day stint in the local pen, because he got caught with some gonja.

Awesome to hear you love the police state though. Rock on.

lmao

[edit on 7-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

new topics

top topics

join