It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't people smarter than they are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't see many people that are really smart in the real world. I don't get it. A lot of people are saying that we could alter our genes to make us smarter but what I don't get is why don't people want to try to push themselves to be even smarter? They could be reading a lot more books and they could be doing a lot of more things. Rather than doing that they prefer to be as inactive as they are and thus they stay stupid. I fear that even with the altering of genes to make people smart won't even do it. Our society is made in such a way to keep a lot of people stupid and ignorant.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Maybe if instead of just making their brain capacity greater trough genetic engineering, we should also put whatever geneset that causes autisme and aspergers syndrome in the mix.

I have aspergers and one of the effects of the syndrome is that I have an unsatiable hunger for knowledge and learning.

No matter how physically tired I am, I can't sleep or rest at the end of the day if my mind isn't satisfied and exhausted.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Perhaps. A lot of people in society are conditioned to watch television a lot or to just sit around in their homes and feel like they can't do anything. Maybe we should switch on the gene that causes asbergers or autism in them. I don't see how so many people can function without any intellectual stimulation at all.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Perhaps it's the same reason nobody wants to be 'educated'. When you try and reveal certain hidden or a 'conspiracy', people immediately dismiss it as it does make them look stupid.

What they don't realize, that we're all ignorant, blind and stupid until we uncover whatever veil is currently in front of us.

I went through the same thought process when I first started my philosophy.
I felt stupid as I didn't know as much as I thought, and I believed everything that was mainly accepted by everyone.

"Declining from the public ways, walk in unfrequented paths." Does it mean that those who seek wisdom, do it in solitude?

"Offer not your right hand easily to anyone." Does this mean that as much as one wants to help his fellow man, that he rather not offer his knowledge to anyone who might not appreciate it? Perhaps time alone is the only cure for people who are currently 'sleeping'?

The above quotes were from Pythagoras.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thematrix

I don't have aspergers (one of my cousins does though) but I do have an insatiable appetite for knowledge, i read a factual book for atleast two hours a day everyday. I think that reading is the key to knowledge, you can tell alot about a person from their books.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
In pursuit of knowledge,
every day something is added.
In the practice of the Tao,
every day something is dropped.
Less and less do you need to force things,
until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.
It can't be gained by interfering.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
To me, a cessation of learning would be the beginning of death. There's so much to learn, and that's just what we know is out there; what about that which we don't know?

I think our evolutionary processes and intelligence were spurred when we as a species had to compete, and reason and invent and struggle for survival. Many of those incentives are all but absent for much of the modern world. That, coupled with entertainment devices that provide stimulation without our having to work for it...... entropy. People ask me why, at 50 years of age, I still do concrete work and other gruelling facets of construction. I think when you stop using something, you cease to be able to use it. Entropy.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There is no reason to measure smart or bumb unless you feel smarter. What are the units of measure anyway. If you feel you will out live someone of your age.. More power to you?? More money.. It goes on and on.

dlb

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
my two cents:

i am actually relieved that knowledge has to be gained. could you imagine the implications if knowledge was "pre-loaded" into us upon conception? knowledge is the effect to a cause for a reason, or at least that is the way i look at it. if you want the effect, then you must set the cause, i.e. the seeking of knowledge, in motion.

in other words, if you really want it, you have to go out and get it. makes perfect sense to me if you think of it in terms of a deciphering tool. those that give up their pursuit of knowledge for the worldly pursuits didn't REALLY want it in the first place and in that case, don't deserve it.

why ppl would choose to go after worldly pleasures (illusions, mind you) over the pursuit of true knowledge is simple. bc they don't want true knowledge. i don't relate, but i understand.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I understand. So people are happy living within the illusions of society and not gaining true knowledge. It's sad because they think they know everything from watching television when they do not. What people watch on television usually is filled with generalized ideas of a certain subject. Usually people won't even watch these educational shows. They will watch drama on television. They watch it for entertainment. Also, people in our society don't talk to other people that much. Like I said before they feel like they can't do anything. It is my belief that our society has conditioned people to become so spoiled that they become lazy. Even I find myself being lazy at times. I think it's because of the high standards of living we have which make us so accustomed to just getting what we want right when we want it, so, like, these people don't want knowledge because it's so much work and they won't get it right away.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A lot of smart people hide exactly how smart they really are. "Why?" you ask? Realize this: Being smart is the one thing you aren't allowed to brag, boast, or even talk about.

Consider this: If any NBA basketball star said to a group of people "Hey, I'm better at basketball than any of you in this group", would any argue it? Would any feel "belittled" or "offended" at this statement? No, they would acknowledge it as being truth.

If Tiger Wood went to any non-professional golf outing and said to the players "Hey, I'm better at gold than any of you here." would anyone doubt it? Would anyone call him "arrogant" or "a jerk" because he said this? No, they would acknowledge the truth of this matter.

Now imagine any scenario in which a truly smart person said "I'm smarter than you". Would anyone acknowledge this as truth? No, they would get offended and say "How dare this guy say that!".

Being really, really smart is the one and only thing you are not socially allowed to brag about. It is the one area in life you cannot expound on your excellence in.

Now, given that, the question is are there not many smart people, or do truly smart people keep hidden the fact that they are truly smart?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

It's not that people aren't smart, it's that they're scared. It's fear, not stupidly.

Every single mother knows you have to nurture and support a baby, a toddler, a child, a teen and an adult.

Every animal knows this, too.

Mr. & Mrs. God give 99.999 percent of us natural will for freedom and happiness. We have the ability to feel and love and nurture and protect and empathize -- these are not necessarily functions of high I.Q., but of 'human-ness'.

It's also personality traits different individuals are born with.

And, how much testosterone or estrogen.

Fear and the need to control to overcome emotional wounds, see Mind control protection & counter-measures for ATS folks www.abovetopsecret.com...

Social engineering and mind control and propaganda and fear 'terrorism' AND also fear of the afterlife, allowing most people to be led around.

Then, we have the sociopathic and psychopathic genocide and war mongers.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I don't see many people that are really smart in the real world. I don't get it. ... I don't get is why don't people want to try to push themselves to be even smarter? They could be reading a lot more books and they could be doing a lot of more things. Rather than doing that they prefer to be as inactive as they are and thus they stay stupid. ... Our society is made in such a way to keep a lot of people stupid and ignorant.

People enjoy being stupid because it is EASY.

Most people are incredibly stupid.

'Society' may encourage people to be stupid but it doesn't force them to be stupid they do that all by their little feeble minded selves.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

There's a lot of truth to that. Mainstream culture and society seems to be set up such that intelligence is almost completely unnecessary. There's a saying: "Act like a dumb[person] and they'll treat you as an equal."

Valid points also from other posters: is greater and greater intelligence really what we as a species should be striving for? Is it what we need the most? I'm reminded of an analogy from evolutionary theory: consider a the hypothetical thoughts of the common ancestor of apes and modern man. Would they think that a better version of themselves would be weaker, less protected from the elements, and with an inconveniently large head? Or would they think, more muscles and sharper teeth?

Are we viewing intelligence the same way, through a biased prism coloured by our own perceived inadequacies?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I`ve seen many many people in this world who are so book smart it`s beyond belief. But they still could not walk and chew gum at the same time without tripping over their own feet. And I`ve seen many people who never made it through high school who use the wisdom that is inside of themselves for the greater good of all. If you want to learn, look inside yourself and learn all that is there.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by FiatLux]

new topics

top topics

join