It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderbird spotted!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsTouch
A thunderbird in oklahoma?
that you saw as soon as you started researching them
a little fishy, usually thunderbirds seem to be associated with south america sooooo, a little fishy

Actually, most Thunderbird sightings have happened in North America, dealing with places like Alaska, The sparsely populated western states, Pennsylvania and Illinois(The Lawndale Case). So Oklahoma is quite within the range of said Cryptid.

Besides, the Thunderbird was a Native American legend, and while there are similar ones in South America, this is not the one of those.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Voidmaster]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

well, the kori bustard is the largest bird that can fly. In this video, which is good because there are other animals for size comparison, you can clearly see the impalas are wary of it and keep their distance
and then there's the wandering albatross with its three and a half meter wingspan.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i have heard of one it was seen in brownsville texas i saw it to it was on a telephone pole i was looking out my window and a giant bird was there i was in shock.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

Hi Nephratari,

Back in the fall of 2002 there were several sightings of apparent Thunderbird like critters here in Alaska. Here is the article from the Anchorage Daily Snooze: Giant Winged Creature

I remember a pilot reporting a sighting on C2C and saying the bird was as big as a Cessna.

Some thought the Stellar's Eagle had come back from extinction. Guess it was seen back in the 1800s and was much larger than a bald or golden eagle.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
Well, I searched, but I can't find it... it was a video of 2 massive birds landing on a branch over a lake. It has been scrutinized by professionals and determined not to be a hoax OR illusion. In the scene, one of the birds flies in and lands on a large trunk overhang. Maybe someone else will have better luck finding it.

This is the video you talk about

yeah that video still isn't debunked and for me it seems the real deal too.

to the OP;

I think it is possible since the many sightings there have been and the fact that every year new species are discovered that the thunderbird still could exist.

it is nice for you to have seen one.

Edit - youtube link

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Grey Magic]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Thunderbirds have been reported by several people in Alaska recently.
Last year Red Elk of the Hopi set out to call the thunderbirds back to their nesting grounds in Alaska.

It was your experience, so what you believes is what counts. I hope it was a thunderbird.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Thank you for the video. that is similar to what I saw.. from what I can tell. It is black and white so it is hard to say and there was no way to judge size as compared to the bird I saw. I am actually sad to say we moved over the 4th of july and I am saddened to think I will not get a chance to see this bird again.
It was one of those things that take your breath away you know? We are not that far away though. Only 2 hours from our old location so who knows.. maybe .. but I do believe it was nested in an area not far from my old home.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

If you had to make an estimated guess at the body size and wingspan of this bird what do you think it was?

Maybe take a tape measure outside and measure a section of your garage door if you have one, and view that measured length from inside your car. Keep adjusting the cars distance from the door and the length of footage untill you can get an accurate feel for the size you remember the bird to be.

Just some thoughts... =)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Now that would be a campfire story for the grand kids "i ran over our sacred bird"
You'd be popular.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hello, I'm writting cuz maybe you can help me out.
Today early in the morning in my city(Managua,Nicaragua), it was raining like hell, but the weird thing is that while I was in the patio I spotted in the sky a bird, first thing weird was that no bird goes out flying when it's raining (and let me make it clear we are under the influence of a tropical storm), so after watching the bird I thought it was what we call a Zopilote or Voulture,because it was flying so high in the sky but also that bird doesn't fly when its raining, finally when the bird was "closer" I could see its figure the only way I can describe it is as an M and at the center of the letter a long sleek body ending at a pointy tail, what the heck was that I dont have idea. The only thing that can match I guess It's was I've found on the web a "Thunder Bird", I've never seen a bird like that flying in the skies of my country.

Maybe you guys can tell me what I could have seen .

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

did it look anything like the video a few posts above?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Ive seen this picture a couple of times, thought of it when reading your topic, no idea where it comes from thought.

Giant Bird, Argentina, 1980
The bones of a giant bird were found and put together in 1980, and the photo shows it.

So was it looking similar to this or was this about the size of it ?

With some more reasearch this is an image of a mockup of the biggest extinct bird that ever flew Argentavis magnificens taken in Los Angeles County Natural History Museum.

Also found another large bird extinct bird, wich happends to be north american.

Teratornis merriami

Teratornis merriami (Merriam's Teratorn) was a huge North American teratorn, with a wingspan of around 3.5 to 3.8 meters (11 to 12 feet), a wing area of 17.5 square meters, standing an estimated 75 cm tall and weighing about 15 kg. It was somewhat larger than the extant Andean Condor and nearly two times as heavy as the Californian Condor.

T. merriami is the largest species of flying bird that was encountered alive by man.

After the species became extinct, its memory perhaps persisted to form a major foundation for the Thunderbird myths.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by SilverSurfer]

[edit on 22-7-2008 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverSurfer

that is what it looked like in color and wing type but I did not get a good look at the head and also the size was not quite as large as that one. I am going to find a measuring tape later today and try to determine what the size would have been. Which can only be an estimate because I only saw part of the bird in the windshield the rest was beyond its dimensions.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Found a picture of a condor with 10 feet wingspan

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hello, I just saw a video at youtube they posted it at a pterosaurus and its exactly what I saw here, dont know if its a thunder bird or what exactly is it, but whats on that video is exactly what I saw.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Anyone know the heritage of this pic?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff583da1e6a0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

No, but that looks nothing like what I saw. That has a leathery, pteradactylish look to it. What I saw looked like an enormous raven.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join