It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderbird spotted!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
reply to post by NephraTari

The main point of your sighting was not to identify a Thunderbird or not. I would say that the sighn given to you is your ancestors asking you to look into your family background. Find out about not only your cultural roots but also any genetic commonality that you may need to find out about or discover.

The idea of looking at family history with your doctor comes to my spirit...heart...diabetes...heart disease....with you or your children or Grandchildren...

Hope this helps you.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by whiteraven]
I believe you are correct. I have had someone point out that it also closely resembles a juvenile bald eagle. Eagle is one of the clans of my people. It is possible that was the bird that I saw although perhaps and it has been suggested that seeing it triggered a vision of the thunderbird.

Perhaps they are one and the same. I do not know but I do think it was a sign to look into my roots deeper and I intend to do just that monday morning.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

I will pray for you.

The Offering of the Pipe, from Black Elk Speaks:

Hey hey! Hey hey! Hey hey! Hey hey!

Hey hey! Hey hey! Hey hey! Hey hey!

Grandfather, Great Spirit, you have been always, and before you no one has been.

There is no other one to pray to but you.

You yourself, everything that you see, everything has been made by you.

The star nations all over the universe you have finished.

The four quarters of the earth you have finished.

The day, and in that day, everything you have finished.

Grandfather, Great Spirit, lean close to the earth that you may hear the voice I send.

You towards where the sun goes down, behold me;

Thunder Beings, behold me!

You where the White Giant lives in power, behold me!

You where the sun shines continually, whence come the day-break star and the day, behold me!

You where the summer lives, behold me!

You in the depths of the heavens, an eagle of power, behold me!

And you, Mother Earth, the only Mother, you who have shown mercy to your children!

Hear me, four quarters of the world - a relative I am!

Give me the strength to walk the soft earth, a relative to all that is!

Give me the eyes to see and the strength to understand, that I may be like you.

With your power only can I face the winds.

Great Spirit, Great Spirit, my Grandfather, all over the earth the faces of living things are all alike.

With tenderness have these come up out of the ground.

Look upon these faces of children without number and with children in their arms,

that they may face the winds and walk the good road to the day of quiet.

This is my prayer; hear me!

The voice I have sent is weak, yet with earnestness I have sent it.

Hear me!

It is finished. Hetchetu aloh!

Now, my friend, let us smoke together so that there may be only good between us

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Without doing any research right now to confirm....

If I remember right, the Phoenix is the S. American thunderbird (or it is N. American... either way, Phoenix is a regional name for it). The 'thunderbird' has been supposedly sighted as far north as Michigan. I remember seeing a video with one landing on a tree branch. I'll do a quick search on that. There has, to my knowledge, never been any kind of regionalization of the bird. Stories of the bird are, also, not unique to just the Americas.

BTW, 'Crow' is a general term, covering a whole family of blackbirds from Magpies to Ravens. Cheyracingchick and I were looking up info a couple weekends ago because I told her I'd take a raven over even an African Grey. She didn't think they were that smart, so she started watching videos... one is awesome... some guy found himself a new buddy, lol! Ravens have been known to follow people around, treating them like friends. It's quite common. Anyways...

Well, I searched, but I can't find it... it was a video of 2 massive birds landing on a branch over a lake. It has been scrutinized by professionals and determined not to be a hoax OR illusion. In the scene, one of the birds flies in and lands on a large trunk overhang. Maybe someone else will have better luck finding it.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

I have heard stories of this. I heard a story of a bird as large as a car taking up the whole of the road........

www.lifeinthefastlane.ca...

Here is an old picture I found...huge!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

I live in Mesa, AZ and there is a cell phone tower down the road from me. Every year a family of Ravens moves in to raise the new brood of young. I have noticed when walking my dog that if I approach the tower, I will get the warning vocalizations, but the minute I turn my back to the tower they stop. I have stood on the sidewalk and for several minutes experimented by turning first toward the tower and then turning away. They always give the warning vocalization when I am facing them, but stop when I am turned away. I think Ravens are smart birds, and I like them. I do not think they get large enough to be the type of bird the OP was talking about though.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

I forgot about the first pic in that article! That is the one where the guy made the cutout to show the size. In the video I'm thinking of, the 2 birds are approximately that large... you can see the entire tree move when it lands, it's awesome!

OP... is that about the size of the bird you saw? From your posts, this is what I was envisioning.

reply to post by groingrinder

Off-topic, I know... have you tried to talk to the birds like they are humans? I know it sounds silly, but you can actually do this. Bring them some stale bread or a bucket of earthworms as a peace offering, and talk to them like they are your friends... you'll be absolutely suprised at the response, I'm sure! I talk to crows(ravens) all the time. If they are out in the lot eating something, I'll say hello to them and smile, and they don't fly away or get upset. Basically, I just project to them that I am not a threat and that I am just passing by or observing. They really are some smart creatures!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I used to live in Fillmore, California, a small citrus farming and oil field community about 33 miles inland from Ventura, California.

I've hiked into the condor refuge several times and been on the back edge of it in legal dirt bike areas.

A few times we've seen condors riding the thermals and wind waves in the refuge area, but always at a pretty good altitude so it's difficult to make a good judgement as to how large these birds are.

Late one hot summer afternoon, I stepped out of the shop/garage to see what the weather over San Cayetano - part of the refuge area - was.

I was surprised to see a condor gliding along at about 100' high.
He was probably riding the thermal that comes up from the paved road through the orchard/housing tract area where I lived.

It was pleasing to watch his - or her - expertise in riding the thermal.

At the end of the paved road, he crossed over the dry leg of Sespe Creek, gained some altitude and found some more lift so he could fly up the S/E side of San Cayetano.
I watched until he flew out of sight.
I don't think he flapped his wings once.

Flying a light plane on cool Southern California March mornings will always bring a bump and thump when you cross a two lane highway or freeway.
It doesn't take long for the sun to generate thermal lift coming off these asphalt roads.

Not a big deal in a plane, but a decided boon for the big condors....

Aong these same lines, an old Fillmore cowboy told me that one reason the condor population was in decline was because the forestry dept. had shut down cattle farming in the area prior to making it a condor refuge.
His theory was that the condors no longer had dead cattle to feed on and had left the area to scavenge elsewhere with poor results.

His story made good sense and to me is a prime example of an action bringing unintended consequences....

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I wonder how sharp their beeks are...Razor sharp so as to look like a cattle mutilation? Just thinking outloud.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I wonder how sharp their beeks are...Razor sharp so as to look like a cattle mutilation? Just thinking outloud.

I don't want to get too far afield from Nephra Tari's original post.

Both her post/posts and yours are enjoyable and a good read.

A friend of mines father-in-law asked us if we could get rid of the ground squirrels who were digging up the steep grassy hillside where he was running cattle.
He'd lost a couple of cows due to they stepped in the holes the squirrels had dug.
(The squirrels were actually Columbian ground squirrels if I remember right and dug holes similar to gopher holes.

At the time, we owned long range varmint rifles and in a few weeks had cut the ground squirrel population down pretty well.

Near the end of the varmint control bit, we found another cow that had stepped into a hole, broke a leg, rolled down the hill and died.

Coyote are common to the area, most likely due to the good hunting - for coyotes - of ground squirrels.

The cow was pretty well cleaned out from the stern end and there were coyote tracks in the immediate area of the dead cow.
The cuts etc. were fairly clean and reminded me of what I'd read of cattle mutilations.
There is a theory about the mutilitations that coyotes do the deed and from what I saw I'm inclined - in this case - to believe the theory is a good one.

Another short raven story if you will.
As noted above by another poster, animals are prone to play.
A true statement to me.
We have three doxies and one wanna-bee Chihuahua.
They have a lot of fun playing with one another.

The youngest doxie, a black and tan longhair considers himself to be a fast runner.
He'll wait at the corner of our half acre and when a car turns he'll race it for the about 180' of fenced straightaway he has.
Clocked him at 25 mph the other day.

One day, he was out in the yard and a large raven swooped over the yard from one end to the other at about a 6' height.

Cooper - the doxie - took off after him, but the raven was probably doing 40 mph or so, so it was no race.

Strangely enough, the raven circled around, came back at a slower speed and allowed Cooper to keep up although he never got low enough to take a chance on getting caught.

Happened a couple more times, then the raven grabbed a lift from the S/W wind and left the area.

I could see it all from the breezeway and it looked like Cooper and the raven were playing a game.

Cooper had fun and I think he learned there's a lot more to birds than he ever thought.

I had the feeling the raven was doing a little mentoring as he flew by each time.
No barking from Cooper was going on and it did seem like there was some sort of unspoken alliance for the short time they spent together....

Edited for clarity.
[edit on 8-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Very good Raven story.....I will retell that one if I can get your OK.

I used to spend hours with my .22 at/near Val Marie Sk just North of the Montana border....05 cents a gopher tail.

WR

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They are known as the teratorns.Did it look like this?
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I could not get your link to work...

I believe that this is connected to the Boy and the Giant Feather story...

The loss of the Buffalo would have a devastating effect on the migratory habits of birds of such size. Not everybody makes the connection, but it is pretty simple stuff, without the herds, migration became very difficult and many of the young birds as well as some of the adults died on their way south. We are talking twenty-five foot wingspan Teratorn type birds, animals so huge they couldn't hunt in woodlands or heavy foilage. They needed large open area suchs as the Great Plains or the Argentine Pampas to navigate and hunt.
www.angelfire.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There are only a few golden eagles found in the western pan of Oklahoma>It has to be a turkey or black vulture.But as stupid it may sound i think there is either nesting whopping which are mostly white or sandhill cranes in the state.Any other birds of prey like owls,hawks,and falcons dont fit the description.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Very good Raven story.....I will retell that one if I can get your OK.

I used to spend hours with my .22 at/near Val Marie Sk just North of the Montana border....05 cents a gopher tail.

WR

You may.

Sometimes you can learn a lot by just watching.

And sometimes you can learn a lot by speaking to the animals....

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

That is the photo I found as well. It is the only thing that may have been that big while in a take off like flight form. The wings do no not go to the full length during that sort of flight because it is not soaring but trying to gain lift. thus they are often bent and yet it was still wider than my suv.
Im still amazed I didn't hit it!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I would just like to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for your suggestions and insights. For me this has been a spiritual experience and some suggested it was a sign that I needed to look into my roots.

I just got off the phone and found out something very interesting that may change the life of myself and my children and it is tribally related if she is correct. I am contacting the tribe tommorow about my experience and about what she mentioned.

Please keep me in your thoughts and send me some positive energy.

And thank you again.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I just found and read this thread tonight. It reminded me of the TV show MONSTERQUEST on History Channel. They have shown programs about large flying birds. These are small videos, but interesting.
Look for BIRDZILLA They even use the word THUNDERBIRD.

www.history.com...

I sure hope this helps you.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I do not mean to offend, but please realise that, when you say unusaul stuff has happend since about 4. it makes me think of, when you read many texts about ghosts,ufo etc, you start to notice unusual things more, and it is just usually the state of mind.

when you heard about this mythical? bird.And when this happend your mind automatically thinks, it is the Bird!! But if it had happened and you did not know about the bird would you have jumped to that conclusion?

Some seemingly average sized birds, are actully huge close up witht her wings spread, often over a metre wide.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

What bothers me is not your assumption but the fact that you and others have no paid attention to key facts. I did not look up the bird until AFTER I saw it.

I honestly am OK with you NOT believing I saw what I did. For me it was a very moving experience and I feel it was a sign although I am not certain at this point in time what it was an indicator of. Time will tell.

I did not make this post to convince anyone that an extinct bird is flying around but to share my experience and see if anyone else has had a similar one.

thanks for the reply though.. even though you did ignore my clarifying that fact to a previous poster once already.

*sigh*

Have a good evening.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Ok I need to try and get a camera. My daughters saw the bird near our house yesterday. They described it as being large and black all over. I showed them pictures of the juvenile bald eagle and some condors.. the condors were a very fast no. the head is wrong they said. the eagle beak is closer to what type of beak it had but the body to neck was more like a crow only on a bigger scale.

My daughter estimated the birds size to be about 11 to 12 ft in wingspan.

From what she could tell. I just need to get a photo it circled the neighbors house after flying very close to her and then flew off back in the direction that I had seen it originally last week.

I believe it is nested in this area .. at least for the time being.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join