It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Slow movement' wants you to ease up, chill out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe the US can give us the European smaller work week and vacation time?
I don't see many employers here going for less than 40hrs. Heck many jobs don't give you any vacation time off.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have been saying this for a long time. Instead of all the increases in productivity going to the top .01% of income earners, we should all be working three day work weeks.

All we need is for the labor laws to change allowing a 24 hour week to be considered full time, and require paying overtime about 32 hours a week. Being that both people in a couple now work, this is how it should be, but instead house prices have skyrocketed obliging both people in a couple to work in order to buy a home. The bankers and the investors get rich, and we all lose.

The fed government could easily create a 32 hour work week just like they originally created the 40 hour work week. All we need are candidates willing to support labor issues once again.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Here in Missouri 30 hours a week is considered full time but no overtime till you work over 40. Not many people can survive working only 30 hours a week.

It would be cool if anything over 32 hour was overtime, a 4 day work week would be awesome with 4 8 hour shifts.

The USA and Japan have the same mentality, work work work and little play, makes us all dull boys and girls.

The bible doesn't help much work 6 days and on the 7th rest.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Well, I think when the Bible said 6 days a week and rest for one day on Sunday,
that could have meant that 6 days was the absolute maximum.

Or, that could have meant it was in precedent back then to do jobs that were not as demanding as the are today. So 6 days a week was not all that bad.

That's my two cents.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The only way they could do that is if indeed nationalized health care were started. Employers have a hard enough time paying benefits to their full-time employees. If everyone working 24 hrs a week were considered full-time it would be impossible. Heck, most full-time employers where I live don't offer any benefits because of the expense.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

I was referring to creation, but many have taken it to mean that the idle mind is the devils workshop so it's best to work all the time.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

There's plenty of "work" do be done at home...not clocked in for an employer. How many people truly are idle on off work hours?

[edit on 8-6-2008 by mysterychicken]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterychicken

There's plenty of "work" do be done at home...not clocked in for an employer. How many people truly are idle on off work hours?

Thats the point we all need more free time, time to handle work outside of work and more time with family and friends.

I don't have much free time, there is always something I have to do and little time for things I want to do.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
No way this guy is so totally the man...

I work in a political campaign office here in canada, not going to explain much about my job, but the fast paced atmosphere and the long 12 hour shifts 5 days a week definitly blow my mind, by the time I get off work I have the most negative attitude on earth, totally go though packs of smokes like toilet paper and get zero exercise... wow all that for a flippin 1300 every 2 weeks, I gotta have rocks in my head to keep that up for this many years... can't even hold my family together cause I dont even see them, like twice a week, this guys needs to get in power, jack up some wages and give more time off... oh yeeeee

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Very good post, starred and flagged, btw.

After having a heart attack myself, I'm all in favor of getting everyone to slow down. I'm very much in favor of a 3 or 4 day work week.

Who knows, with most too busy to stop an smell the roses the slow movement people may take over the world and no one would notice them doing so.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
What a brilliant idea! I am a tennis coach so a big week for me is 25 hours

I did, however, do 50+ for a couple of years, so I do know what it is like, it blows.

The kooks at the top of each country's invisible pyramid skim more off the top every year. The gap between the rich and poor continues to widen.

4 days on 3 off would be perfect. If they cut the illegal taxation by half we would all get about the same as before. Good luck trying to get that bill passed though.

peace

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marsrising
From the CNN article...

"Democracy can't exist without informed citizens", he [Edgar S. Cahn] says. "People need time to pay attention to the news, attend city council meetings and keep elected official accountable."

So why do you think the government wants you overworked in the first place? Pretty obvious really.

Well, the USA shouldn't even be a Democracy in the first place...It's supposed to be a Republican form of government. Check the Constitution under Article 4, Section 4. We would be well-informed if the democratic/tyranny in place now wasn't lying to everybody & stealing extra Powers in the first place. IMO, we should first task ourselves to restore the government we should have, then take it easier, because then we should have more time to to pay attention to what our government does. Their "job" seems to be focused on corrupting our nation away from the Constitution, so we should spend equal time to prevent it.

reply to post by pai mei

In reply to your post about the "Gospel of Consumption," I believe that this is the root-cause of a lot of problems in government...Too much corporate influence has pretty much ruined the government that we should have never lost. The People in this nation have lost sight of our true needs in the headlong dive for corporate-sponsored consumerism & we've failed to prevent our government from buckling under to it. After all, the Constitution can't stand alone...It needs the People to keep it enforced upon our government.
"The People...are our only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberties."--Thomas Jefferson.

Originally posted by TechnoFan21
Well, I think when the Bible said 6 days a week and rest for one day on Sunday, that could have meant that 6 days was the absolute maximum.

Well, actually, the Bible says (in the Ten Commandments):

Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. For six days you shall labour and do all your work.

But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

The Sabbath is translated literally as the "seventh day," which would be Saturday, not Sunday as is most widely believed. Also in context, "rest" can mean "leisure," so you should be able to get away with highly physical play or hobbies without violating this Commandment.

Another point that appears in the Bible goes something like, "wherever people gather in God's name, there is His Church." So all of you who think your worship of God's Sabbath should mean "refuse working at your job & spending Sunday in Church," you've been misled into ignorance of what the purpose of the Sabbath is all about. God gave you brains, after all...It's way past time to start using them.

Originally posted by Frank Black
Amen!! We should have siestas here in the U.S. like Mexico

Ummm...After the Battle at the Alamo, didn't Sam Houston take good advantage of that?

Also, somewhat related, wasn't it just a few years ago that the Japanese were calling Americans "lazy & illiterate?" My answer to that was that if we were so lazy & illiterate, then why did one missle-builder working under government-military contract paint on the warhead cone the phrase, "Built by lazy illiterate Americans, field-tested in Japan."

Still, I think Mr. Cahn has a point...The more we work, the less benefit we get from our work. If modern-day isolated tribal societies are any indication, they only "work" for about 4-5 hours per day to get food & take care of other necessities, having the rest of their time for leisure or creative tinkering. Ah, the cost of "progress."

If I'm ever elected President, I'll create another few federal holidays, repeal the citizenship status of corporations (under Constitutional intent, it's supposed to be a privilege to conduct business, not a Right) since they never deserved it anyway) & then retire with full benefits. Well, I might do some of the things I mentioned over here before I retire (or get shot for it).

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
A overwhelming number of us agree and believe the same thing here, so why are we not living our lives this way?

A Conspiracy is why, we are controlled by our employers and our politicians. We are pushed to produce more in less time to insure maximum profit for our masters. Even though it's killing us literally, years are being taken off our lives because of this.

I have a terrible migraine headache right now because of the stress from work.

And there is a huge chance that they will call me and want me to come in on my days off to work more for them.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yes, there is so much wasted time, money, etc...because of speed.

I had a boss at GE that worked at hyperspeed, getting things done in record time. The GE Nazi's loved him! The problem was that at his pace he was making critical mistakes on a regular basis, mistakes that (yea, you guessed it) I had to correct behind him. Of course he got the praise and glory and I got the shaft.

Why go at such high speeds in life when it's just not conducive to any sort of lasting success?

I am on board with slowing down and looking around. It's amazing what you see when you're not in a hurry.

I would also like to be the first member of the "National Sleeping Team" and believe that sleeping should become a world wide sport! Seriously, LOL!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reading this ,reminded me a joke i heard many years ago.
The union rep called all of the men together and said brothers after talking with the company these past few months we have agreed to some changes,(1)as from this week all will get double wages,the crowd cheered hurray,,because of the difficulty of getting to work at 8 am due to heavy traffic or hangovers ,it has been agreed that all workers will start work at 10 am, the workers cheered hurray (2),tea break will now start at 10 15 for 1 1/2 hours and lunch will start at 12 noon for 2 hours afternoon tea break will start at 2 1/5 for 1 1/2 hours ,and all finish work at 4 oclock,so total timed working each day will be 1 hour,the crowd cheered hurray,also the days off has changed no more working mondays or tuesdays, thursday and fridays, so we only work wednesday, a liitle fellow at the back, shouted does that mean we have to work EVERY wednesday???

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The question imo is: whose time is my time? Who is to choose how much money I want to spend and on what. As soon as you realize that the only asset you really ever have is time, or in other words your life, you have the mental space so to say to choose.

I do not give a rat's bum about keeping up with the Joneses so I work parttime. And then I encouter a lot of envious fulltime workers. When I say: you know you can live on less money their answers always amount to the same: I have made my bed and now I need to sleep in it. In other words, an expensive house, car and lifestyle in general. Why did they make these choices in the first place? Sometimes necessity but a lot of the time also because of the rat race.

I say no to the rat race

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I agree to this. We are pushed way to hard in north america and this can be bad for health. If we don't slow down, we may kill ourselves from exaustion.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I 2nd the motion to be on the 1st National Sleep Team. When i run into old friends that haven't seen in quite a while they usually mention that I look like I'm getting younger!!! Although not quite like the Curious Case of Benjamin Button !!lol In all seriousness though , slowing down your life will bring mental clarity , better short and especially long term health effects and this has been my observation ... allows you to see opportunity to work smarter not harder , JEDI-LIKE!!!! - Hunan

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
We all need to work and make our contribution to society. It is the right thing to do for ourselves and for those around us. It is how we thrive and maintain a society that is at least somewhat polite and lawful.

But the rat race as we know it needs to be abolished. The sad cruel fact of the matter is that whoever signs your paycheck pretty much OWNS YOU. Think about it. Your entire life revolves around your work schedule while the more important things in life are sacrificed on the alter of consumerism and wage slavery. It should not be this way.

I very much agree with this "slow movement". While it is important for us all to pull our weight and do our fair share within society, it is equally important for all of us to slow down and experience life. I think it would do us all a world of good to have more time to spend with our friends and families. It would also be beneficial for us all to be able to devote more time to the things that make us unique as individuals.

The "slow movement" should be supported by all who recognize and care for the better things in life and humanity. There is a lot of good that can come from it.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightmare
But the rat race as we know it needs to be abolished. The sad cruel fact of the matter is that whoever signs your paycheck pretty much OWNS YOU. Think about it. Your entire life revolves around your work schedule while the more important things in life are sacrificed on the alter of consumerism and wage slavery. It should not be this way.

So I was reading Walden, by Henry David Thoreau.

As it was in 1854, so it is today:

I have travelled a good deal in Concord; and everywhere, in shops, and offices, and fields, the inhabitants have appeared to me to be doing penance in a thousand remarkable ways. What I have heard of Bramins sitting exposed to four fires and looking in the face of the sun; or hanging suspended, with their heads downward, over flames; or looking at the heavens over their shoulders "until it becomes impossible for them to resume their natural position, while from the twist of the neck nothing but liquids can pass into the stomach"; or dwelling, chained for life, at the foot of a tree; or measuring with their bodies, like caterpillars, the breadth of vast empires; or standing on one leg on the tops of pillars -- even these forms of conscious penance are hardly more incredible and astonishing than the scenes which I daily witness. The twelve labors of Hercules were trifling in comparison with those which my neighbors have undertaken; for they were only twelve, and had an end; but I could never see that these men slew or captured any monster or finished any labor. They have no friend Iolaus to burn with a hot iron the root of the hydra's head, but as soon as one head is crushed, two spring up.

I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of. Better if they had been born in the open pasture and suckled by a wolf, that they might have seen with clearer eyes what field they were called to labor in. Who made them serfs of the soil? Why should they eat their sixty acres, when man is condemned to eat only his peck of dirt? Why should they begin digging their graves as soon as they are born? They have got to live a man's life, pushing all these things before them, and get on as well as they can. How many a poor immortal soul have I met well-nigh crushed and smothered under its load, creeping down the road of life, pushing before it a barn seventy-five feet by forty, its Augean stables never cleansed, and one hundred acres of land, tillage, mowing, pasture, and woodlot! The portionless, who struggle with no such unnecessary inherited encumbrances, find it labor enough to subdue and cultivate a few cubic feet of flesh.

But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost. By a seeming fate, commonly called necessity, they are employed, as it says in an old book, laying up treasures which moth and rust will corrupt and thieves break through and steal. It is a fool's life, as they will find when they get to the end of it, if not before.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join