It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange picture from Mars. Very odd

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think this is the first time I have ever made a thread here, or for a very long time. Anways,

I have been following the recent Mars probe and like many on ATS; I noticed the odd picture captured regarding that white feature (cannot find the orginal picture, please post it if anyone has it). Well, I have another photo from NASA of it. It is much stranger :s

This picture looks a bit fake than the previous, but the website does contain other weird features from Mars.

mars.galactic.to...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Interesting! Thanks for sharing these with us. I think the trick would be to compare each of the linked sites frames with those put forth by NASA, as a manner of verifying that they each have a correlation to released photos. I wish I had the time........ as they stand though, they're very thought-provoking

Great find!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I have a video of it on YouTube (sorry for the poor music in advance)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Okay, this is clearly a task for someone with better computer skills than my own... I started typing in the URLs as appears on the top of the photos in your link, and was about to conclude that they weren't real JPL products (it's a long string to type accurately, and for some reason, I can't drag and copy it).

The photo called (in the link) "Mystic prints on stone2" actually does link back to JPL..... their version is in B&W, but that's very encouraging.

If these are all verifiable as they look in the link, I think there's some additional evidence of....... what..... of ...... artificially made artifacts?

Much appreciated. I'll check out your youtube. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Nice find matey

Love that site, some pretty cool stuff he has found. However they are very much real, here are the direct links to the images on the NASA JPL site:

Opportunity :: Panoramic Camera :: Sol 123

And it seems to be seen from a different angle here:

Opportunity :: Panoramic Camera :: Sol 107
Opportunity :: Panoramic Camera :: Sol 107

Enjoy!

/rich

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
thanks Infinite for the youtube. Actually the techo music isn't bad -- one can always mute. Much better than the etherial/haunting/dramatic music that often accompanies an astronomy youtube IMO. Good job.

As to the white thing, in your above link, it looks sharper as the zoom is increased, and I wonder if the high zoom doesn't reflect a pixelization or camera artifact of sorts.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I am no fundi on jpegs but all these looks like glitches. Anything on the exposures could have gone wrong while sending it back. The "object" changing angles is really weird though, and this one got my attention.

Someone on ATS will know how to explain this. Nice find!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It is really odd. I tend to look over pictures posted in this section of ATS and dismiss them, but this odd picture is hard to explain.

Tell me I am wrong because to me it looks like a sort of structure

Am I see things?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It is indeed strange-if you study the differnt images. It seems in one there are 'two' clumps. In others there is 'one' clump. Also the length of the track? Is changing in each picture. It seems as if something is 'swimming' in the sand.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This appeared some time ago, and I think this was part of the shell that protected the rover during the descent.

But I think Internos will clear this in just a few minutes.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by qonone
I am no fundi on jpegs but all these looks like glitches. Anything on the exposures could have gone wrong while sending it back. The "object" changing angles is really weird though, and this one got my attention.

img77.imageshack.us...

Someone on ATS will know how to explain this. Nice find!

Yes its a glitch: its just a glare from a highly reflective surface the camera isnt good enough to deal with in the image processing. A peice of metal from the lander, no doubt.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Given the approximate location during sols 107 and 123, i'd say that what we see is the
heatshield

The elongate appearance is due to its higly reflectant surface:
in this animation, taken from cyberspaceorbit, you can see how reflection works vertically:

here's a comparison between heatshield and one of the two images:

The fact that it's apparent elongated shaped is due to its reflectivity, is proven by this sequence of images,
taken on the same sol:

of course, i may be wrong

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I just love posters like Internos!

...oh, and that music reminded me of the days I use to listen to the group
"Yellow".

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's a digital camera artifact known as "Blooming". In this case reflection off the object causes various pixels to become over saturated with light.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

What took you so long?

Seriously, having such a great (and fast) poster as Internos makes me even more lazy than usual, but at least we know that we always get fast, accurate replies, supported by data well presented.

Great work!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
infinite thanks for bringing this to the board... which allows Internos a chance to educate fellow picture viewers.

Nice job guys...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Great work Internos!

Thanks for the OP too Infinite!

This is why I love ATS...another mystery solved, logically and soundly, with the facts to back everything up, the photos for all to see and study...and another case ruled out. Keep up the good search all

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Here is an interesting analysis of the locations of the objects / anomalies around the lander based on

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on this clip Internos.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
And yet another reason I love ATS, just when you think the mystery is solved...

Interesting video SystemiK...is there a site though where they download free cheesy music files to add to these type of videos or what?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Eheh: now that's funny:

In this post of May, 28 2008 i've pointed out the same exact inconsistence, and besides in almost the same exact way

Originally posted by internos
There's a problem with the image in the OP, lol

in according to this image,

the parachute is roughly located between 155 and 160 ° relatively to the lander.
But in according to this one,

the object in the op (allegedly the Heat Shield) would be located between 358 and 359 °.

This would mean that in this image, the location of the object of the OP would be (approx.) in the direction indicated by the green arrow, while the impact point (and the Heat Shield) would be (approx.) in the direction indicated by the red one:

so, basically, if what we see in the OP is the Heat Shield, then it's NOT where it is supposed to be,also in according to THIS image, taken straight from NASA website:

This enhanced-color image from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera shows the Phoenix landing area viewed from orbit. The spacecraft appears more blue than it would in reality.
Labels point to the lander with its solar panels deployed on the Martian surface, the heat shield and bounce mark it made on the Martian surface, and the top of the Phoenix parachute attached to the bottom of the back shell.

www.nasa.gov...

Now i'm baffled: if the object in the OP is the Heat Shield, then Nasa scientists are wrong (and i don't think they are).
But if they are right, then the object in the OP is neither the Heat Shield nor the Backshield with parachute.

So, what is it?

I've also found an article, on New Scientist Space

Image artefact?

In one image, the lander's backshell can readily be identified resting on the surface about 300 metres away (scroll down for image). This means a strange linear feature seen in another picture (taken in the opposite direction right after Phoenix landed) cannot be the backshell.
It may be nothing more than an artefact of the image, though scientists will eventually turn the camera back that way to check.

A mystery in the mystery

My take is that in according to the data provided by Nasa, the bright object between 358° and 359°

is neither the Heat Shield nor the Backshield with parachute.
Thanks for your find

[edit on 7/6/2008 by internos]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join