It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strangest thing on shortwave

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Listen at the top of the hour. The station will identify itself. I can't say for certain that it will at 30 minutes past.

8734 kHz is coast stations channel 806, 8737 kHz is coast stations channel 807. Upper side band will have an offset that makes it look like its on 8735.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
*bump*

I've actually just been listening to 8735kHz on singled side band - it had some weird tones, followed by what sounded like a phone conversation. I googled the frequency, and this thread was the first result!!! Weird.

I'm pretty sure it's just a seaphone service, possibly ship to shore.

Well, I'm glad I worked that out

I think the tones were 'on hold' tones - weirdest on hold music I've heard.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I have heard few number station's on foreign frequencies. Now i know that it is

not so special but when i heard it first time it was quite weird. Sometimes i

have heard somekind of "conversations" but dunno it was probably just airliner

communications. Weirdest thing what i have heard it was not on radio it was

from tv you could hear sometimes someone speaking on their la/nmt phones

when those phones was still in use.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sometimes you can find all sorts of interesting things while scanning the freqs.

The French military has/had a large TTY/ITI network. Used to hear them very clearly in the South Pacific. Usually they were just up in RY's, sometimes would go to traffic. Callsigns i remember were FUF New Caladonia and FUM Reunion Isl, if i remember right. They were all over the HF freq spectrum. Also there was alot of ham radio activity on 14000KHZ, along with alot of ship/shore phone activity. Also the old Sitor A and B (cricket chirping sounds) signals were up alot with merchant ships. Usually it was just port of call info or cargo info. And of course the numbers stations and religious stuff was all over the place. There was also alot of morse code. You'd be surprised how many militaries still used it.

I used to use the Klingenfuss RTTY User's Guide...a real good resource.

www.klingenfuss.org...

It's been a few years since i listened to that stuff. I had fun doing it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hi,

OK, so heres a shortwave oddity which resurfaced earlier this year, its Enigma designation is 'XM', otherwise known as Whalesong or Backwards Mustic Station :

www.youtube.com...

Its a pretty spooky sound, I recorded it for two hours. Check the links in the video description for further information regarding Lincompex.

UVB-76 has already been mentioned in this thread... but it has relatives. Namely The Pip, and The Squeeky Wheel. Check this one out :

www.youtube.com...

Numbers stations always get a mention when talking about shortwave, and Ive seen a few threads on this forum regarding those, so I'll just include a couple of my favourites :

E10 : www.youtube.com...
E3 : www.youtube.com...

S.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ok, my previous post was (I hope) interesting in terms of the signals source, but in terms of just 'weird sounds' on shortwave, some of the data modes are quite unusual, some of them strangely musical. Heres another vid (not mine) of some of the por- and amateur modes in use on shortwave :

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join