It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Excuse For Unemployment rate 'Ridiculous' :CNN Reporter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You have to hand it to the guy though. He is consistent in his denial pychosis. Can see Cheney high fiving him as he walked off stage.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I imagine while giving the finger to the hard working American people.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Doesn't unemployment benefit dry up in the US after 6 months too? Once that stops, your not counted anymore either, am I right?

here in the UK, you can claim it for perpetuity. Not always a good thing mind you, as we have plenty that are "on the dole" for years and are quite happy not working and sponging off the state.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

This are the guidelines for unemployment benefits at state and local level in the US.

Benefits

In general, benefits are based on a percentage of an individual's earnings over a recent 52-week period - up to a State maximum amount.

Benefits can be paid for a maximum of 26 weeks in most States.

Additional weeks of benefits may be available during times of high unemployment (see Extended Benefits). Some States provide additional benefits for specific purposes.

Benefits are subject to Federal income taxes and must be reported on your Federal income tax return. You may elect to have the tax withheld by the State Unemployment Insurance agency.

workforcesecurity.doleta.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh my god! Not only do you have time limited benefit (which is bad enough) but you get taxed on it as well?

Jeeebus....

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hey, is taxation without representation.
and yes this one is all in favor of the employers, at least some have that choice, many employers do not pay anything for unemployment benefits.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

PRconservative your desperate attempt to deflect criticism of the party / administration you love so much has reached an all time low. The fact that you parrot what this idiot says and try to argue the point makes you look, well bad.

This .5% rise also ignores the LARGE number of people who were simultaneously BOOTED from unemployment, as well as all those before them that were booted before finding a job. If you don't understand what I am talking about BE THANKFUL that you are not in the demographic that has to suffer through this type of tragedy.

Originally posted by groingrinder
Unemployment numbers are always skewed. They only reflect those persons who had a job and now have applied for unemployment. They do not take into account the homeless, self employed who lose their businesses or those who have never held a job. Unemployment numbers from the government are meaningless.

This is partially what I am talking about.

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by grover

Doesn't unemployment benefit dry up in the US after 6 months too? Once that stops, your not counted anymore either, am I right?

Exactly, This alone is what I perceive as the most damming thing about the whole “unemployment rate”. As much as many would say, “well if you can’t find a job in 6 months it’s your fault”, that is not always the case. Take factory workers for example. If they get laid off what are they to do? They have a family in a particular area of the country. Their options are limited. It can be a LONG time before they find a job again. Eventually they are not considered part of those unemployed although they are, and are often some of the most needing and deserving of a new job. Oh but too bad, Clinton, Bush, and their ilk have decided to send your livelihood to India.

Edit:: I forgot to add, there are options out there for REinvigorating our economy and employment in the USA if only we began to make the shift towards a GREEN economy. Check out this thread::

A Strong Argument for 'Greening' the Economy

What is clear from this report is that millions of U.S. workers—across a wide range of familiar occupations, states, and income and skill levels—will all benefit from the project of defeating global warming and transforming the United States into a green economy.

Something to think about....

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Animal]

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Stu it's even worse than you think. If you worked for yourself your whole life, there's no such thing as unemployment benefits. You only get back what your 'employer' put into the state's fund.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm curious as to how many people listened to Bush's explanation, and were left agape. Seriously, anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to see through this pathetic ruse and call BS.

As far as excuses go, this one is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
When is there a point in our history when young people werent entering the market?????

This is typical BS from the mind controlling SOB's that run the world!

If I had a Jesus whip, I would whip them all silly!

(Now I picture Jesus with a hint of Indiana Jones
) Super Cool!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I think you misunderstand...

Bush isn't good with words but even I knew what he meant.

Unemployment will spike again this month. Because jobs are not being created, and several MILLION College students are walking around with their new fancy degrees in various fields with no work to be hired into.

So you add all these new "young" people to the job force and you couple that with older people increasingly being forced into retirement or fired because they make to much..

And you get a rise in unemployment.

I don't see how that was really that hard to understand?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
More people entering the workforce makes perfect sense.

Clearly you're confused about how economics works.

Good Economy = More Jobs
More Jobs = More Hirings
More Hirings = Less Unemployment

Bad Economy = Less Jobs
Less Jobs = More Lay Offs
More Lay Offs = More Unemployment

If you weren't so quick to parade around your American flag and proclaim Bush correct about every piece of propaganda garbage that comes from his face, you might know that.

Originally posted by RRconservative
I'm guessing parents are getting tired of shelling out gas money for their teens, so they actually have to get a job.

Yeah, well, I guess since those darn teenagers are entering the workforce, there's less people to work the oil rigs, thus raising the price of gas.

By God, we've found the reason for rising oil prices! WOOHOO! IT WASN'T THIS ADMINISTRATION'S FAULT AFTER ALL! IT WAS TEENAGERS!

Lets put them all in work camps! That should open up more jobs for the rest of us!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Funny how one can still hear on the news how thus and such might happen if the US slips into a recession. Or that recovery might take a bit longer because of the oil problem.

Does everything have to be lies and delusions?!!

Wake Up ?!, the USA will never be as prosperous as it was in the 1960s and 70s--that in spite of the atrocity of the Vietnam war. Why, you ask, because free energy (aka free lunch) is over. Oil produced over billions of years from living creatures and the sun is a finite resource. If there is a future for H. sapiens, those generations will despise us for being so gluttonously wasteful.

Funny how we consider ourselves so noble; the US Government is scarcely more democratic than, say, the USSR under Stalin.

Funny how some call this a faith based society; where any semi-rational being should be able to see that the foundation is based on greed. Guess what, H. sapiens is about to get a brutally abrupt catch up course in Darwinism.

The only surviving societies will be those which have a sustainable balance between population and resources. At present, one might have a hard time seeing that happen anywhere.

The history of mankind is a chronicle of wars. Now one can imagine a future of greatly increased and desperate warfare over territory, water, food, and energy. All running out.

The major question short term (from another thread on this site); is whether factions of the US government are going to detonate a nuclear device in the USA, to blame terrorists and declare martial law and end any pretense of democracy. Second is whether bush/Cheney is going to Nuke Iran. One can only wish that war criminals would ultimately be condemned.
George Evans

Funny how "Americans" watch 4 1/2 hours of TV a day and how they would probably be more knowledgable if they watched none.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
So you add all these new "young" people to the job force and you couple that with older people increasingly being forced into retirement or fired because they make to much..

And you get a rise in unemployment.

That only matters when you are in a good economy where jobs are being created at a faster rate than they are being eliminated.

We are currently losing more jobs than we are gaining. It is partially because of the economy and partially because of outsourcing.

The "young people" can have all the degrees they want, but if the job they have the degree for has been eliminated, they will not be getting a job. And what about those that haven't had a job? They can't collect unemployment, therefore they are not counted as 'unemployed'.

Then what about those adults that have been unemployed for more than 6 months? They can't collect unemployment, therefore they are not counted as 'unemployed'.

Therefore, the true "unemployed" rate is much higher.

Teenagers seeking jobs, is this something new? College students graduating, is this something new? Was there some 90's birth rate spike that I'm not aware of? Has there been some drastic spike in graduations that I'm not aware of? I believe this country continues to climb in the number of high school and college drop outs. That doesn't exactly fit in to the 'too many are graduating' excuse.

Our rise in unemployment is the elimination or outsourcing of jobs and the continued inflation, housing, credit card debt, national debt and consumer needs prices deterioration. Its not because some teenagers decided to get a job at the local grocery store to pay for gas.

Stop deflecting the real issues and the real reasons behind those issues. Look at the facts. Hiding behind the lies does not make them truths. Covering your eyes and ears does not make the problems go away.

[edit on 6/7/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
IDIOTS!!! bush minor and his enablers simply cannot admit that they have totally screwed up this economy so blame the teenagers. Give me a bloody break.

A star for you.

I wonder how this will bode for McCain. He's already too old, and blaming younger people for our economic woes is not a smart thing to do, because this year the young voters are going to decide who the next president is.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I agree, one of the worst policies that corporate America has gotten from our corrupted corporate government is the foreign worker's visas, they do not need to hired our fresh out of college American young adults they go to Asia and get their workers, bring them to the US.

And that is OK for our corporate government, but then again they have the sarcasm to talk about how bad unemployment is.

Then take the last defense contract awarded to France, it will take away another 14 thousand jobs from Americans and one of the biggest sponsors of this contract bill in favor of France was McCain.

To tell you the truth it seems that our own moron politicians on corporate pay role wants to actually kill the American middle class work force.

Sounds like an Agenda to me.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
All this talk of how bad the economy and employment is.
I honestly don't think it can be THAT bad. Otherwise, people would be doing more than letting this all keep happening, right?!?!

Or were we bred and raised to just sit around and take it?
Most seem to vote in terms of who they think will do the most damage to this country, but are they too blind to know it? Too stupid to see it?

I honestly, excitedly await to see if the economy and job market gets worse.

Because apparently we can see no change in this country until every regular person is SUFFERING

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hey I did not see the speech he gave I will painfully take note of it if someone has the link, however, I did see the Chao comments afterwards and to be honest she seemed off guard and defensive with her comments and also they seemed to be totally made because of the politics of it all and more than likely biased but all in all her response was rather weak.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Detective, it's hard to take Bush Jr seriously these days. My suggestion is.. don't bother.
Although I'm kinda wondering whether his conservative supporters still actually believe him.
Do they?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Although I'm kinda wondering whether his conservative supporters still actually believe him.
Do they?

Now this is a point to ponder. I can't believe that even the administration's core base is willing to accept teenagers as an excuse for the rise in unemployment.

What will it take to make his die-hard supporters deny ignorance?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join