It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yucca Mountain safety plan is 'doomed,' nuclear company says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Yucca Mountain safety plan is 'doomed,' nuclear company says

www.latimes.com

The Energy Department's safety plan for handling containers of radioactive waste before they are buried at the proposed Yucca Mountain dump has become a "fool's errand," according to a major nuclear equipment supplier
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Considering the current trend of increasing Earthquakes, particularly in areas of limited recent activity, I'd be looking for a new residence if I lived in SE Nevada right about now. It's pretty scary to think that we could have one big quake and then a follow-up of the gift of a radioactive cloud of dust settling over an entire region.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The conclusion of that article says it all:

The government expects Yucca Mountain to experience earthquakes that produce ground movement comparable to a magnitude 6.5. In such a quake, "pigs will fly before the casks will stay put," the newsletter said.

Exactly! The radioactivity is bound to cause a lot of mutations, including giving pigs wings (a well known side-effect of hard radiation) and who whats a bunch of mutant pigs flying over their house?

No -- let's abandon nuclear power forever. I don't want any mutant pigs or other mutant animals in my backyard, and will gladly pay any price, including $10 or more a gallon for gasoline if that is what is necessary.

Anything rather than mutant pigs! (Brrrr!)

#

Edit: On review, I think I'm being to oblique. (Sorry, I'm feeling giddy because it is Friday.)

Seriously, I think this article is an attempt to induce unreasonable fear in people, further cripple the nuclear industry, reduce practical energy alternatives, and increase our dependence on the existing technologies. It is all about money -- not safety.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Uh, I'm in favor of nuclear power, I just believe they need to come up with something a little better than dumping the waste into salt deposits in the desert. What the solution is, I can't say as I'm not a nuclear scientist.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Uh, I'm in favor of nuclear power, I just believe they need to come up with something a little better than dumping the waste into salt deposits in the desert. What the solution is, I can't say as I'm not a nuclear scientist.

Yeah man -- I'm with you. (It is Friday, and I'm just spoofing around on ATS, so ignore my previous post please.) Your point is well taken.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I feel most for the Dinei. The Navajos got screwed. No two ways about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is comforting news. While the fight went on for decades, against better judgment--and millions of dollars. Millions of dollars I say! (I mean billions. It is just debt written on a piece of paper, FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES.)

new topics

top topics

join