It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europeans View America as a 'Force For Evil' Under Bush

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Wonderful...So now, because of a handfull of megalomaniacal tyrants running roughshod over our nation and doing whatever they damn well please despite our objections, we're GROUPED IN with them as a "force of evil"?

Kinda sucks being painted with a broad brush, doesn't it? Sort of like how some people here paint the US Military.

Kinda how some people paint the Iranians.
Kinda how some people paint muslims.

etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baxtoriafall
France forgets how a marshall plan was used to rebuild their country after WW2 and who saved their ass also. They forget that they also had a military blunder in a country in Africa that was very similar to Iraq but they do not pay attention to that and how they definitely had no right to go there.

Germany forgets how after world war 2 many people in Britain and France were extremely bitter and if it was not for America influencing other world leaders that they would have been screwed.

Britain forgets who saved their butt from utter destruction.

I mean jeez, these people need to really get their heads straight, I mean these people are really shallow, "OMG OMG 8 YEARS OUT OF OVER 200 WHERE THIS COUNTRY HAS SAVED UP FROM COMPLETE DESTRUCTION AND BECAUSE THEY MAKE A MISTAKE AFTER BEING ATTACKED WE ARE GOING TO HATE THEIR PEOPLE WHO GOT THE WRONG INFO FROM THEIR PRESIDENT!!" ...

When are you going to realize the people saying this weren't around when WWII happened, so how can they relate?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Fellow Americans this message is nothing to be offended by but should be looked at like an area for improvement.
They only reason our country is awful is because we allow control freak leaders to control anything and everything they want and we let money corrupt EVERYTHING that is near and dear to us.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baxtoriafall
Britain forgets who saved their butt from utter destruction.

Another day, another history lesson....

We saved ourselves. Please read up on Operation Sealion and The Battle of Britain and then check the date that the US entered the war. By the looks of it you will be suprised.

As for the poll, I'm not sure people see the US as a "force for evil". I think people see the current Bush administration as one. Why? Because Bush attacked a soveriegn nation without provocation (the world understood Afghanistan, it did not understand the Iraq invasion), and at that moment the USA fell off its pedestal of being something that people aspired to and turned into the same as everyone else.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Very well stated neformore, we as a country lost a lot of respect when we went into iraq and for every year that we keep that war going we lose more and more respect from the rest of the world. I dont think we fully realize how important respect is when we are dealing with foreign leaders. So this administration and this god forsaken war has done a number on our country that we will be hard pressed to come back from.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Good post, starred. Everything I was going to write you have basically summed up!

I can't help but get the feeling that many Americans seem to take a 'us vs the world' attitude which I think gets peoples backs up. Saying 'we saved your asses' is a complete insult to our servicemen that actually DID fight and die to save Britain.

Operation Sealion (German: Unternehmen Seelöwe) was Germany's plan to invade the United Kingdom during World War II, beginning in 1940. On 17 September 1940, Hitler held a meeting with Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring and Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt, and became convinced that the operation was doomed. Control of the skies was unavailable, as Britain had won the Battle of Britain, and coordination among three branches of the armed forces was out of question. Later that day, Hitler ordered the postponement of the operation. It was not until 13 February 1942 that the forces earmarked for the operation were released to other duties

December 11, 1941, the United States declared war on Italy and Germany to start its involvement in World War II. Germany had already been fighting for a little over three years prior to US involvement.

But then again sod Britain, make another completely biased film about how you guys saved the day.. Sorry I should be grateful, I mean you saved me from speaking German, right?!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Everybody I know separates Americans from the government. Ive even been to the US, and once getting though the gestapo airport control system alive, I have nothing bad to say about Americans. In fact, quite the contrary. Very helpful, nice people and not as superficial like the TV shows would have you believe.

So I wouldnt worry. Once Bush is out of the way, most people should be able to count you as the good guys again if you stop invading and bombing people all over the world.

You have to understand that its part of the plan to get the US hated. That way, your president can point his finger at the world and say "look how they hate us" when we really are hating them, not you.

Having wars all over the world is perfect to distract Americans from the fact that you are being dumbed down enough to actually buy the crap they want you to believe about the world. It amazes me to see people leave their family and go off to fight in meaningless wars. I guess its because you are led to believe they are not meaningless.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
One thing that you have to understand is that we in europe LOVES the American people ut we hate the bush adm. The bush adm and the American people are two different things.

//Jacob from Sweden

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CopernicusYou have to understand that its part of the plan to get the US hated.[edit on 7-6-2008 by Copernicus]

Yeah, and as we speak #loads of muslims are out there on message-boards pretending to be patriotic Americans hating Bush.

Some of them have even created thier own 9/11 conspiracy sites.

Electronic Jihaad

Once Bush is out of the way, most people should be able to count you as the good guys again

Sorry, it ain't gonna work that way!
When GWB leaves the office another one comes in, new guy (or gal) to hate.

The muslims threw out the bate, and you guys took it big time.

(And this is just the start)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Wonderful...So now, because of a handfull of megalomaniacal tyrants running roughshod over our nation and doing whatever they damn well please despite our objections, we're GROUPED IN with them as a "force of evil"? Do any of these folks have any idea the percentage of opposition the masses here have against this admin's out of control war-mongering and profiteering? Very few people support these policies. But unfortunately, they don't give a crap. They totally ignore the populace as insignifigant peons and do as they please...

And now we're ALL being demonized because of it.

I would just like to comment on this remark. The article states that the US is considered a force of evil by some Europeans, you cannot conclude from this statement that Europeans think of Americans in general as evildoers.

When determining whether a country is a force for good or evil in the world people will look toward that country's foreign policies and military actions I'd say. As the general population in America is in control of neither of them, I assume the voters in this poll had the Bush administration in mind and not your average Joes.

That being said, the results are hardly surprising when considering Europe's media. I can't remember the last time I heard the word 'peace' or anything else slightly positive mentioned during an item on the US' foreign involvement. The only thing coming close lately must've been Bush's Middle East trip where he tried to negotiate a truce between Israel and the Palestinians. Even then commentators where quick to point out how futile it was and how Bush was only trying to score some brownie points for the history books.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SickSoul

9/11 was a inside job, its incredibly obvious if you look at the facts. And even if it wasnt, why are you blaming all muslims for the work of a few hijackers that may or may not be muslims? Is everybody bad because of a few bad apples?

Its very convenient that they attacked the US right when the neocons and the Bush crazies got to power, isnt it. Its not like the Bush morons had a plan to attack Iraq several years before 9/11, and only needed a reason for it. Or is it...

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It would be unfair to blame all the people of the USA , but on the other hand, drawing the line at just the government does not really represent a true picture either . It is the governement and around 30% of the US population that could be described as a force for evil . This 30% being probably the most wretched evil loathsome people to live on this planet .

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well Bush is coming in Slovenia tomorrow until Monday. Civil iniciative is organising huge protests. I also work with Amnesty International and there will be protests at american embassy.

Lots of people is putting pressure on our own government to have debate on human rights and Guantanamo. Not that even if they talk about it with Bush. He will pay any attention.

USA is certainly not popular mostly because of War in Iraq, human rights violations and because it is forcing other countries to become police states as tUSA are. Most of people think that USA wants to be world policeman but everyone knows that USA failed. While USA lost it's credibility, new forces are on rise.

I personally think that EU should make bigger steps to be less dependent on USA. There are few steps in progress but well we should act sooner. World is changing fast.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I do find it awful that countries are viewd by their governments but at the end of the day thats what governments are for not only to run the county but to represent our country to the world. I hate the fact that gordon brown the worthless lowlife that he is who steals his place as prime minister represents England.

That being said, I knew a hell of alot of people who hated America long before Bush, its not a new thing guys just because of him, granted things do seem to have escalated a bit.

Its purely down to cultural differences I think. I know there are 300 million of you and therefore I have only met a handful of americans but the ones I have met outside of America appear extremely arrogant and just had a general condescending attitude towards us. We hung out with the American exchange students alot when we met them this year at university but after a couple of months we jut stopped because we were getting tired of it all. I should point out there were 40 excahnge students from all over America so they were not just from a tiny area or anything.

I'm going to write what I always write now at the end of this sort of post,

Please do not think I am bashing the US as I am not i'm clearly pointing out my personal experiences of Americans outside of America. When I have visited the country everyone has always been really nice.

Granted that was over ten years ago now when I was 13 and we were in Disney world so my view might be a little skewed

Peace out!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
What possible reason could Europeans have for hating Bush and just what has America become under this knife wielding sociopath.

US issues threat to Iraq's $50bn foreign reserves in military deal

www.independent.co.uk...

Iraq's oil: The spoils of war

www.independent.co.uk...

Patrick Cockburn: Iraq is a country no more. Like much else, that was not the plan - Yeah right!!!!!!!!! like Bush cares!!!!!!

www.independent.co.uk...

Blood and oil: How the West will profit from Iraq's most precious commodity

www.independent.co.uk...

People here see the Iraq government has no authority

www.independent.co.uk...

The American government, an imperialistic bully, completely devoid of any morals, ethics, honor, integrity, truth and honesty - That's why they hate you..

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

When you say loose 5000 lifes are you reffering to 9/11? If so the logic that you are displaying is part of the problem with the US. Iraq hade nothing to do with 9/11 (G.W.B own words).

I come from Sweden, and if we were attacked by terrorists i would hope my government would react as follows:

Why did they attack us and is there anything in our actions that made them do so and can we do changes that makes sure it doesnt happen again. And ofcourse those responsible for the attack should be charged with the crimes they have commited and be tried in a court of law.

Sweden is doing things wrong right now like having troops on muslim land. That is in my opinion totaly wrong. I would not like to have foreign troops in my country why should they feel any different.

Kristofer

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It's anti-Bushism, not anti-Antiamericanism.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Im gonna laugh when the next guy starts his campaign in office in the wrong direction with another war or something stupid... its just bound to happen, it seems that government is ran by the higher ups and the president is just forced to follow a set of guidelines and be the icon for the countries moves...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Too right Europeans have a pretty low opinion of the current aggressive america policy. How could we not.
But it goes deeper than that.
This is not really directly about Joe Smoe american citizen, but he/she is implicated through their apathy, in much the same way that ordinary german folk were resented when Hitlers doings were revealed, and remember because of modern technology society can get most of the information in a matter of minutes, and react to it, and unlike the German people in the thirties and forties the American people have enough information and evidence to suggest that the time has come to rise up and speak out against those who speak who speak for them, but Americans choose not to, repeatedly. The opposition(Dems) choose not to speak out. What does this say to the rest of the world, honestly.
It says ***k You. We will do as we please.
That is why I hate what America is at present.

Please let a change come soon, we ALL need it.

Sorry to answer anonymously but I'm away from my own computer and p/w.
My username is Willywagga, just so you'll know.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Reply to post by: jerico65

"Free health care? And what about the Doctor that just spent $100,000 or more on his education? He's not to be paid for that?? Or should he just get minimum wage like a fry clerk at Mickey D's?"

Well, here in Norway, in one year, you only have to pay up to $300 for healtcare and medisines your self, anything over that the goverment pays for. You dont need any insurance or anything, its a birthright to get healthcare.

And it is true, alot of europeans thinks of america as a place of ignorance and that they are in a way living in their own reality over there. Thers surtanly not alot of people who support the president.
Hopefully there will be change soon.

Sorry about the bad spelling

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Anom3]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join