It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those opposed to the death penalty, explain why it shouldn't be used in this case

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
"Personally, not only do I feel that they should not be executed, but I also feel that they should be made comfortable and given the opportunity to better themselves."

How could you be more comfortable than being in box built for you, in the ground? How much better can you be than free from worries, stress, hunger, pain, conciousness........

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
sorry...not real sure how to quote

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

You have explained your beliefs with much more clarity this time and i understand what you mean now. I was under the impression that you meant that all criminals should have the same sentence regardless of the crime, but i see now what you were trying to say.

We differ a little on certain points as i do not believe that they should have access to the internet, or certain other luxuries. Food, health care, books, yes, but certain luxuries like internet, etc that the average, hard working, law abiding citizen sometimes can not afford to have i don't think should be given to a criminal. There are people that get up every day and work their butts off and obey the laws of this country and can't even afford three squares a day, it just seems crazy to me that in some cases criminals seem to have more than good people. Some may think i'm wrong for this, but i also believe that criminals that have no victims should be entitled to less severe sentences and more rights than the criminals that have victims.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts in more detail so i could have a better understanding of what you were saying. Even though we disagree on certain points, i respect your right to have the opinions that you do. Perhaps because of where i live and the amount of crime that i see and have been a victim of, as well as the amount of people that i have lost due to violent crime, i may be a little jaded on this particular subject

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I want to thank you for allowing us to have a dialogue without it becomming a heated disagreement. There's never a good reason for people willing to make an effort communicate with one another to have to fight in my opinion, and I really appreciate it.

I agree with you that prisoners shouldn't have more rights or luxuries than hard working, law abiding citizens. The problem (and serious flaw) with my beliefs is that they are speculative and emotional in nature. I believe that everyone should have access to those things, not just prisoners. The problem, as you correctly pointed out, is that in our current society not everyone does have access to them, and if prisoners did, it would be rather unfair.

I think a more accurate way of describing my feelings would be to say that in the world I wish we lived in, and the world I believe humanity is capable of one day forging - difficult and unlikely though it may seem today - everyone could have access to those things without exception. That world doesn't exist yet, though. That's sort of what I was getting at when I called my beliefs a pipe dream.

I don't have all the answers. I only know what I feel. I guess that's the best any of us can do sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join