It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Site - Design Advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hey Shoktek

People don't read across a webpage, they read DOWN a page, so you need to put some tables on your main site and feed your text down in columns.

BTW even on a 17 inch screen the text is off the side. make your table about 800px wide to fit the average monitor. Shows now at "width="1092" "

I like the colors, plain and simple, easy to read.

Originally posted by Shoktek
Ok, here are a few of my sites:

www.shoktek.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
eh? That's odd...I have tested it on quite a few different monitors and resolutions and the tables have always been right near the edge of the screen. What monitor and resolution do you have?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
On your table the width is set to "width="1092" .
So its not me, it your table

If you divide your table into 3 columns, and run your text down the middle with pics etc on the outer ones then it will be easier to scan on the eye.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
On your table the width is set to "width="1092" .
So its not me, it your table

ahh..yea I just noticed that in your first post. I usually now use a laptop and/or 17inch flat screen monitor on the other computer set to max resolution...and I use frontpage to initially create the layout, but of course I forgot I have such high resolution...if I coded it myself I would have realized that right away haha...will change it quickly.

edit: I was also wondering why so much text seemed like so little when viewing the page...the table is obviously too wide...me and my high resolution laptop set at 1400x1500...Im such a dumbass :bnghd:

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yep, just about to say that NC. Width is 1092 with a padding of 5.

Shok - try 100% width and it won't matter.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I go for 700 px with the table centered. That way on a 640 X 480 you don't get much overlap, yet on a bigger one its nice and down the middle.

By using an absolute number you can be sure that the pacement of your text and graphics will show exactly the same way reguardless of the monitor size.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I changed the index to 760 and uploaded, haven't done the rest of the pages yet...does that look good on your monitors? Let me know..

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yep nice, table needs to be centered though

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yep, center it up...looks good.

Then practice that CSS, right NC?

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
hmm...I did center it now, on my computer and I don't know, I think left aligned seems nicer, with the graphic at the top streamlined towards the right...but I'm not sure..

edit: ok I tried it out on a few different resolutions...centering does look better on the smaller...I'm just so used to my laptop (which is what I use to design my sites) so I wouldn't have ever noticed it unless viewing on someone else's computer...thanks for catching it guys.

The other sites I listed don't have that problem, as they are a bit older...this new one I just now made on the laptop and hadn't checked it out. After I reformat all the pages, I will fix the entire thing...thanks again

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I rebuilt WW's website, using CSS for the tidy up. I left the tables untouched but I could probably have written it all in CSS, if I had the time

Check it out for an example of what can easily be achieved. If you go View Source you can see the CSS I used, it should be off on its own sheet, and I was pretty wasteful but it was more an exercise .

I tried to stay true to the original site, so even if the colors were a tille subdued the idea of only using 3 colors is best, and I stayed with that.

stuffucanuse.com...

I've just noticed that she's changed her site!!! Never mind

Originally posted by worldwatcher
okay zedd help me out...I'm not too happy with it, plus I want to maybe start doing ebay or something, actually try to make $$ from site, plus it's my online portfolio for potential clients

www.paintedwithglee.com...

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
thanks netchicken, but how do I do that now to my site? and sorry I played with it again. I got new pictures and had to update so I changed colors.

[Edited on 3-12-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Go File, "Save as" and you will get the page with its pics. To get it up on your site you must have a file management program that can move it from your machine to the internet.

However, wait till I have added in the extra text and written the meta tags

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Heres my site Logatic
ive been doing website design for 4 months now and am wondering what people think of the site ?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
any of you guys know how to do an order page thingy? what's the best layout for the pictures on the other pages? and how do i make the pictures of things for sale smaller and then when you click on it enlarges, so i can get more stuff in one category in one page? sorry for sounding like an idiot but i am one when it comes to this.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragingsystem
Heres my site Logatic
ive been doing website design for 4 months now and am wondering what people think of the site ?

Hey, I really like your site...the layout is simple but looks very nice, neat, and innovative...one idea is you could add some more content to draw more people to your site such as more tutorials/articles. Also, maybe the scrolling advertisements could scroll a bit slower, just a couple suggestions...but I really like the layout and graphics for it. Good job.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
any of you guys know how to do an order page thingy? what's the best layout for the pictures on the other pages? and how do i make the pictures of things for sale smaller and then when you click on it enlarges, so i can get more stuff in one category in one page? sorry for sounding like an idiot but i am one when it comes to this.

Are you talking about like a shopping website with a shopping cart? Because doing this right involves some pretty heavy duty coding, as well as something else in order to process credit card orders...unless you just want to make a simple little site that lists items with pictures and do mail order and no online shopping.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
www.bradsoft.com...

Check out this for the Topstyle lite 3.1 free CSS editor.

I use the 1.5 and just found this ste. I cut and paste my CSS into this program then choose how I want to set it up then cut and paste it back into the html page.

There are some example CSS you can use as well

Well worth downloading. The full version seems awesome, autmatically changing your HTML into CSS for you...

BTW the new version of Painting with Glee is up WW

Do you mean like this site...
abalone-seashells.com...

click on the pics to see the big one...

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
thanks netchicken, i saved it, will work on the site this weekend again.

and yep just like that site!

I want to do online shopping...i know major codes, but a girl gotta make a living somehow and i want to start selling patterns of my work to other decorative artists, there's a big market for it...so help me please you guys!!!!

[Edited on 3-16-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hello Zedd (and everyone else helping out with HTML tips)

I have a page. I have a product. I am trying to put the two together to get a harmonious union.

What html program do you recommend?

What I am using right now is SiteSpinner. It's simple to use, but I want drop down menus and product selection tables.

Right now, my page is just a place holder until I can come up with something with more substance.
I plan to have an integrated order form and PayPal payment links. Also, how do you get your site out to the people?

www.darklansergraphix.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join