It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosquitoes are self-aware?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I doubt this is the right forum, but I couldn't find a better one. I don't even know if anybody cares about this, or if self-aware would even be the right term, I just thought it was neat.

I was sitting in my car yesterday, wasting time before riding the bicycle, and decided not to squish one of the mosquitoes that was flying around me.
He landed on the edge of my rear view mirror, paused for a little while, and then started waving one of his arms back and forth and to/from the mirror, just like in movies or tv shows when cavemen or animals notice themselves in the reflection for the first time.

I've always heard that monkeys, elephants, dolphins, and a few other animals are the only ones that can do that. Not that I doubted other animals could, and I know mosquitoes are pretty insignificant, but again, I just thought it was neat.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Heh, that's funny. Recently I had a bumble bee buzzing around me looking directly at me the whole time. It was flying it's bee-like patterns and I wondered if it was trying to communicate.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That's kind of creepy when you think about it ... a mosquito waving? And a bumble bee trying to communicate? I'm not a bug/insect person to begin with so the thought of them being self-aware or trying to communicate really gives me the heeby-jeebies!!!

How did the interaction with Mr. Mosquito end? Did he get bored staring at himself?

Jemison

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

How did the interaction with Mr. Mosquito end?

It ended when he squished it after all...

I think it's interesting. I had the pleasure of playing host to a bumble bee nest in my rose garden. They were very well-mannered guests, and I spent quite a bit of time watching them scurry and flit about to-and-fro from within a couple of feet of their nest. A few would sometimes seem curious, but for the most part we were ignored. I was actually hoping I would have another this year, but it appears not.
I don't think I would have let honey bees stay, however.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
How did the interaction with Mr. Mosquito end? Did he get bored staring at himself?

He flew away once I got my camera close to him, I may have smashed him later on, but not right away.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water. The mosquito probably just mistook your mirror for a pool of water. When it didn't experience the stickyness of the surface tension, it likely realized it wasn't water, and flew away eventually.

As for the bumble bee, were you wearing any bright 'flowery' colors or perfume? Maybe it was expecting a flower and was disappointed when it didn't find what it was looking for.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Not a single species of monkey has demonstrated the ability to recognize its own reflection in a mirror, despite some claims to the contrary. To date, only humans, orangutans and chimpanzees have passed objective tests of mirror-recognition.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

I've recently read an article that bumblebees actually recognize and remember the faces of people they've come into contact with. Amazing. As far as mosquitos-I'm not too sure. It probably thought its reflection was another skeeter.

Peace. K*

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem
Not a single species of monkey has demonstrated the ability to recognize its own reflection in a mirror, despite some claims to the contrary. To date, only humans, orangutans and chimpanzees have passed objective tests of mirror-recognition.

So what species do you think orangutans and chimpanzees are aliens?
Orangutans and chimpanzees ARE MONKEYS !!!!

mozzy's that sting you are female, they need blood to develop their eggs
the males don't sting and the males are larger than the females.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ST SIR 86

They are apes...

EDIT:
Look.. A monkey!

youtube.com...

[edit on 6-6-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ST SIR 86

Orangutans and chimpanzees are great apes (Family: Hominidae, just like humans.)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
An interesting encounter to be sure but IMO the skeeter was probably engaging in normal behavior and happened to be in front of the mirror. I've watched many a mosquito and they wave their front legs when resting sometimes.
I had my own experience with a bug that made me think it had more intelligence once. I was about 12 and saw a praying mantis and it swiveled it's head towards me and it's pupils moved to focus on me then the pupils expanded. The response was so human I freaked and bravely ran away away.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think my cat recognizes herself in the mirror. She loves to look at herself in it all the time. Its funny.

Ama

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water. The mosquito probably just mistook your mirror for a pool of water.

It didn't actually touch the mirror with the arm it was moving.

Originally posted by mysterychicken
An interesting encounter to be sure but IMO the skeeter was probably engaging in normal behavior and happened to be in front of the mirror. I've watched many a mosquito and they wave their front legs when resting sometimes.

Definitely seen it before too, but I'd rather just pretend it was a cool mosquito.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ST SIR 86

I dont know if they in reality is a lifeform not native to Earth, but in any case, monkeys they are not.

Mosquitoes on the other hand looks like little aliens.

new topics

top topics

join