It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate climate bill blocked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Senate climate bill blocked

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans on Friday blocked a global warming bill that would have required major reductions in greenhouse gases, pushing debate over the world's biggest environmental concern to next year for a new Congress and president.

Democratic leaders fell a dozen votes short of getting the 60 needed to end a Republican filibuster on the measure and bring the bill up for a vote, prompting Majority Leader Harry Reid to pull the legislation from consideration.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Oh so it's cheaper to do nothing?

Talk about shortsighted.

If we don't address the issues now, when we are finally forced to it will be either too late and/or far more expensive.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yeah, but no one will have a problem with the fact that the Democrats killed debate on the bill yesterday. Instead of giving the other side a chance to present their argument on the Senate floor, Harry Reid decided to just try to cram it down their throats. Guess it didn't work as well as he'd hoped.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
All I have to say is thank goodness for the Republican filibuster which killed this horrendous bill. This bill would have done nothing but increase gas and energy costs which would have put even a further burdon on our economy.

Secondly, since man-made global warming is nothing but hype, the killing of this bill is good news. Since man-made global warming is a scam there is nothing man can do to reverse the trend. This is assuming the planet is actually warming. The planet's temperature has remained steady for 8 years. The sun is more likely causing the problem, if there is a problem, so man can just sit back and enjoy the show.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This would be part of the 45 Trillion required over the next few decades?
As reported by Drudge and Yahoo this morning?

news.yahoo.com...

Maybe Al Gore could contribute some of his ill-earned gains from the Carbon Footprint debacle.
Ya think?

This global warming caused by man BS will turn out to be the biggest scam in recorded history.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

so you must think that the ice core samplings showing a 300% increase in carbon dioxide present in the atmosphere in the last 70 years compared to the last 100,00 years (and yes this is now common knowledge), has been faked, and we should do nothing about it. yeah...climate science is quakery, i just hope your kids and grandkids will adjust to breathing more carbon dioxide. of course you'll say that has nothing to do with global warming, because you know all about how that gas interacts in our atmosphere. and the thousands of climate scientists who have NO CORPORATE INTERESTS are all working together to bring down humanity....

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
so you must think that the ice core samplings showing a 300% increase in carbon dioxide present in the atmosphere in the last 70 years compared to the last 100,00 years (and yes this is now common knowledge), has been faked, and we should do nothing about it.

Well, I'm glad the carbon dioxide is in the ice and not the atmosphere.

Since you provided no proof of your claim I will take this as a hypothetical. If it were true, what makes you think it's man made and not a natural Earth cycle due to the sun? Answer: You don't! Since the sun can cause such changes there is nothing man can do to stop it.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Since you provided no proof of your claim I will take this as a hypothetical. If it were true, what makes you think it's man made and not a natural Earth cycle due to the sun? Answer: You don't! Since the sun can cause such changes there is nothing man can do to stop it.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by WhatTheory]

Does CO2 cause warming, or does warming cause more CO2?

Is there data that conclusively shows cause and effect?

What is the +/- degree of accuracy on temperature measurements from 70 years ago? From 10 years ago? Now? Where is the global temperature measured and how is it measured?

I haven't been convinced one way or the other at this point.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Yep. We are innocent. We can do whatever we want. Earth will take it all. Hey it's the SUN we need to shut down and everyone will live happy ever after.

Oh yeah and other planets are warmer. We have lots of meteorological stations there. Oh yeah and some are cooling too. It must be sun. It is surely sun.

What a BS. Most likely your government agency NASA told you so?

oig.nasa.gov...

Oh probably it was EXXON:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Yeah there isn't global warming. It's the sun. Why was these year January globally colder? Well look 15 years behind and you will see what is trend. One month even 1 year tell yo nothing of climate.

www.realclimate.org...

Oh yeah there is so much CO2 in ice. Well every year it's more and more of it also in the air cause in a 10 years time arctic ice will be gone at summers. Scandinavia is the way too warm. Same for Siberia. Oh yeah i forgot it's the sun. Men can do eveything. But maybe we forgot, how thin atmosphere really is. If we can imaine that and imagine also what we do with our planet. We have dramatically changed not just CO2 but also forests. Cities are expanding , forest is dissapearing. It's all infecting clima. Land usage is far different as it was ever before. It is all affecting C02 levels. Earth's chances to lower it are every year smaller.

You know Mercury is far closer to Sun as Venus but his atmosphere is the way thicker as on Venus but still is Venus for 150K warmer as Mercury even if it's far further from Sun. What does it tell us? It tell me that something is warming Venus from inside and what is it? Yeah you got it right it's NOT Sun it must be greenhouse gasses. Venus never sees Sun cause it's clody all the time. It's atmosphere is made from CO2 and sulphuric acid drops.

www.astro.yale.edu...

If you want and your republican make Venus out of Earth good luck. But i am never votin for anyone who prefers to make my planet hell for my kids and my grandkids just cause of damn profit. Which is later used in a war, killing innocent people to make more profit. Ah well,...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Locus Iste

What? Huh?
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about since your entire post is like one run on sentence or perhaps a bunch of half sentences.
Are you saying that it's getting colder or hotter?

Of course it's the sun, if anything is happening at all. I could post a entire page of links pointing to this but I doubt it would have any impact on a person like yourself.

new topics

top topics

join