It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Rate Actually Below Average Not Doom And Gloom As Reported

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I keep hearing news reports of all this doom and gloom about the economy and the unemployment rate being soooo high! at 5.5% and started thinking...hey 5.5 doesn't really sound that high. so I did a search for the history of unemployment and sure enough. the media is hyping up the doom and gloom.

meet some members of the doom and gloom club:

online.wsj.com...

www.usnews.com...

abcnews.go.com...

news.yahoo.com...

www.cnbc.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

KEEP THE MASSES TERRIFIED.

don't be mislead by news stations that are really more interested in ratings than actually reporting the truth. Do your own research.

data.bls.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
But are those jobs quality jobs that a person can support themselves on or low paying service sector mim. wage jobs?

We used to make steel in this country, now we make happy meals.

economistsview.typepad.com...

[edit on 6-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
But are those jobs quality jobs that a person can support themselves on or low paying service sector mim. wage jobs?

We used to make steel in this country, now we make happy meals.

economistsview.typepad.com...

I dunno, you tell me. look at the average hrly wages since clinton left office.

again, DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR IN THE NEWS! do your own research.
data.bls.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This also is the revamped new unemployment stats. How does it rate next to the older version?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
This also is the revamped new unemployment stats. How does it rate next to the older version?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Do not know what the older version is but here you can go all the way back to 1948. check it out, it is a pretty good website.

www.bls.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by blimpseeker

Sorry mate..

Ya wrong.

The unemployment rate is actually higher then reported.. the Federal Government even acknowledges this.. in fact.. they openly admit that millions are not added to the calculations because... "they stopped looking for work".

OK. That makes sense, I suppose 6 months of looking for a job and getting nothing can bring a man down, no?

Anyway's, a bit of graphs and news articles mean nothing.. if the graph your showing is using a flawed calculation method, then it's already nothing more then garbage, no?

I know MCDonalds and Wendy's down the street is hiring.. and they just opened a new mall with lots of department store jobs, and oo, a few restaurants for bus boys, dish washers and waiters..

And Lexis Nexis just laid off several hundred people. Whose combined wages, = all of the new jobs combined. Hows about that.........

Technically we added jobs to the economy in the area though, but you'd never know it.......

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Bureau of Labor Statistics, a government agency supported by this administration. Sure they will tell you the truth!

Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases. ~Theodor Billroth

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Ok, so lets not trust the graphs and charts from the people that track this for a living, lets just believe Rockpunk who says so.
c'mon! mate! anyone can say this and that but how do you back up your statement?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Bureau of Labor Statistics, a government agency supported by this administration. Sure they will tell you the truth!

Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases. ~Theodor Billroth

well, those statistics are good enough for the doom and gloom club to report as "baaad! very baaad!"

what I am saying is compare todays rate to previous years.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker

what I am saying is compare todays rate to previous years.

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
Henry Clay

Forget statistics. Just ask the man in the street. "are you doing better financially now, or during the Clinton years" ??

Actually I think the next election will answer the question.

"It's the economy STUPID!"

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

oh..ok i see now what this is about. you think this a pro-bush thread...it isn't, it is an anti-msm thread.

and asking the man on the street will do no good...they are watching the same news media you are watching.

and for the record i am not a bush supportere so don't mistake this thread as defending the current administration.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

and asking the man on the street will do no good...they are watching the same news media you are watching.

So you think that the man on the street can't make a logical assessment of his financial situation without the MSM.

I assure you; I can.

Troll............

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

So you think that the man on the street can't make a logical assessment of his financial situation without the MSM.

I assure you; I can.

Troll............

I guess it depends which man on the street you enquire...the men on my street (neighbors, all middle income, blue collar) are all gainfully employed and happy.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It's not the number of people currently unemployed that has people concerned. It's the rate at which that number is increasing.

This months rise is the largest rise in unemployment since 1986. 49,000 jobs lost. I'd say that's cause for concern, and nobody can dispute that.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I suggest that the OP opener gets a nice report from the CNBC and listen to the analyst.

No summer jobs for college students and teens, no jobs for head of family either.

Right now the dow is plunging with the unemployment reports and oil is getting higher.

Dollar still low and the stimulus check has done nothing to make a difference in the economy because people are getting smarter and they are keeping the money for the hard times ahead.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blimpseeker

Questions:

1. Do you know what the birth/death model is and how it is applied to these numbers?

2. Do you know what hedonic adjustments are?

3. Do you understand how the numbers are calculated?

... without a search engine?

If your answer to any of these questions is no, then you need to sit down and listen instead of talking.

Blind ideology is not a very attractive feature and will not win you any real friends in life.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

you are exactly right, the jump of .5% in 1 month is the highest INCREASE in 22 years. also, may i add, the employment rate has nothing to do with the interests of common people in america, it is solely for business interests to be able to measure whether there will be more frightened and worried job seekers that will take jobs for a lower wage and present working people to not seek raises in pay or benefits. that's why you had a 200+ point rally in the stock market after the news was released. cause and effect my friend, is the true indicator of who benifits.

sorry just saw the dow jones of today 6/6..... reality must have set in for the traders.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
when the unemployment runs out you are no longer on the graphs.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Ok, so lets not trust the graphs and charts from the people that track this for a living, lets just believe Rockpunk who says so.
c'mon! mate! anyone can say this and that but how do you back up your statement?

Okay!

I'll take Rockpuck's word for it, because I know he researches his posting thoroughly before committing himself. If you really want graphs and charts, I'm sure he can do that for you as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Another record for the oil prices, Bush to be talking about the economy this afternoon.

I guess is about time that our congress and president take a stance against the oil incredibly increasing prices, we have an oil market that is not regulated and this hurting our economy while few are making record profits with the speculators.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join