It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

art terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
are you an artist? well then, you may be a terrorist...

do you draw pictures of people in combat? firing rifles, or guns? stabbing people? bombs falling on fictious cities? 'cartoon' characters killing each other? do you cartoonize(word?) the president and other leaders being harmed? nations being destroyed? or do you practice in the art of graffitti?

well my friends if you draw any of these things or depict images similar; you are a terrorist. your method of crime? art.

this is no laughing matter. children and adults are being accused daily for mere drawings and artwork. have you never heard of a child in school being arrested/suspended/expelled for their 'gruesome' 'uncalled for' art?

freedom of creativity and expression is being put at risk. I'm willing to bet that art of this type is even being destroyed and confiscated.

(the infamous) 'they' are making/intend to make our art become passive. is this wrong? I don't really know anymore.

I guess that there has long been 'art terrorists' throughout(sp?) history.

one (less than perfect) example of an 'art terrorist' would be that of the infamous graffitti artist known by pen name of, banksy. this gent has been accused of terrorizing countless neighborhoods and communities across the globe. and has in fact been causing quite an uprising and has managed to ascertain quite a following. is he not a terrorist in some fashion?

I'd just like to what people think about this terrorism through art type of thing. for or against it? will people be persecuted to a further extent for this type of thing in the future? does art even a/effect or harm anyone? if it does than I suppose that it could be a form of terrorism per se?
I'm sure that is more examples of this type of instance taking place?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
well, we know most terrorism is incited by the gov't in the first place, which leads me to the idea that maybe Banksy is a psyop. Nobody knows his name, he seems to have a massive budget dedicated to art and plenty of time to allude any authorities. I mean any authorities. How did he paint the walls on the west bank without being noticed? Some of those paintings would require a ladder and quite a bit of time. I'm a graffiti artist myself (my work), and know from fellow writers and experience that the more public the pieces, the more people that will try and catch you. They don't tolerate it long here in Utah, I'm not sure why the UK would either, unless he (or more likely they) is on their payroll.
I saw a video where his work was being set up in a museum in the UK, everyone had the same reply when asked if they were banksy or knew who he was. That kind of gave me the idea that it might be OPERATION BANKSY.
TPTB love to play both sides, and banksy sure has inspired a great number of new writers.
The fact that his work is easily reproducible and looks like it could even be a special filter in photoshop further increases my suspicions, although I love seeing his work which I think is simultaneously creative and destructive.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by agent violet
does art even a/effect or harm anyone? if it does than I suppose that it could be a form of terrorism per se?
I'm sure that is more examples of this type of instance taking place?

the mind takes art/design "IN" on an emotional level. it CAN effect people in all sorts of ways.

I'm still trying to pick myself off the floor about it becoming terrorism though...

to suppress creative 'freedom' is just absurd.

properly done messaging through art can be very powerful and this now shows that. (apparently)
KUDOS i say to the artists of the world that are getting your message out! your scaring the PTB!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I've been caught for vandalism in the act of malicious graffiti and I've had the long arm of the law slap me right in the face for being a writer. A felony with 5 years probation, 10pm curfew, 4 months in jail, 35 grand in restitution - f'd my life up pretty bad at 26. This concept of artistic terrorism is not of any suprise to me.

Graffiti is an unstoppable and in your face type of art form. Although it's often very misunderstood and despised, I do believe that it has high importance in society and even the history of displaying man kinds past. Graffiti should never be legalized, the illegality of it gives graffiti it's power in true honest expression as a PURE form of art. Like -

farm3.static.flickr.com...

Rime and Augor in LA, this type of stuff makes people think. How did they get up there? That billboard is lit up at night, nobody saw them? They got away with that?

Another moniker in the expansive field of graffiti writers that has been popping up a lot lately is "BNE", Short for Benet, he's spread his name worldwide throught the use of stickers, home made markers, bucket and spray paint. Tokyo, London, San Fransisco, Thailand , New York, you name it- dudes been there and gotten his name up.

Banksy, by the way has been exposed. His identity is not really a secret any longer. Sooner or later it's bound to happen to any guerrilla artist. You can google it.

His work is very impressive though, political. And he manages to get over in some amazing spots pretty much worldwide.

I loves me graff!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
lol i have some of my art as well as banskys work on my album!!! funny you should mention it cuz i just added them.....and im a terrorist right? lmao this is ridiculous that people would think any of this...oh i was also a graffiti artist as well....altho i never actually "tagged' on anything

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Neurockones

that sucks to hear amigo. (about getting busted and the obligatory monetary shaft that ensues)

it begs to wonder if you can busted for "light graffiti"?
from these fine folks.
graffiti reasearch labs

you leave nothing behind, you don't destroy property. (and you don't HAVE to have a crowd)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yeah no worries. I'm dealing with the consequences that I brought upon my own damn self, it's all part of the game.

I wasn't able to watch your graffiti research labs vid, improper plugins and stuff. However this is probably the same system if not very similar:

This was done a few years ago and this crew of people were hassled by the cops not too long after the session started. Apparently because it was distracting to drivers on the highway near the highrise. If this was done in America surely the consequences would have been much more severe. Graffiti of any kind is more tolerated in Europe.

I don't see this system ever becoming popular, it's expensive as hell and hard to get a hold of. Spray paint is much easier to purchase or rack. (steal) And part of the appeal of graff is leaving your permanent mark wherever you go.

^This French artist uses a technique to create art out of the dust and grime coated walls in a transit tunnel. As you can see he nearly gets arrested towards the end, instead they have a cleaning crew come to power wash the walls- blasting away all of his work. Clever expression, but not terrorism.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
well, at the end of the day it's ALL a form of the destruction of "freedom of speech".
the dirt one on that last post is too much. it all just keeps getting tighter and tighter.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Is there any examples of this or is this just random paranoia? I'm an artist for a living so inquiring minds want to know.

top topics

join