It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intercepting Phoenix ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

i just thought about if it would be possible to intercept the data phoenix sends down to earth.

afair, these landers send out radio frequencies.

so, do you think its possible to get that data ?

i would suggest its encrypted, but depending how strong the encryption might be, it could be broken i guess.

any opinions ?

take care

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by se4by

That's a good idea! I am quite sure that there would be all sorts of security measures but there has to be some propeller heads out there who could work it out.

OK, first I'll access the secret military spy satellite in its geosynchronous orbit over the Midwest.

Then I'll reposition the transmitter dish in the truck to 28.3 degrees east,
hit Westar over the Atlantic, bounce the signal down into the Azores, up to Comsat beam it back to Satcom transponder and down to the dish
of Mr Big's limo.

It's almost too easy.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Simple answer is No.

As the signal probably does go thru one of the private satellites and then beamed to NASA. You would have to intercept the signal before it got to NASA.

Party On.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

No, signals from Phoenix are first relayed through the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter or the Mars Odyssey, two satellites orbiting Mars. Signals from those satellites are then received through the Deep Space Network, an international network of listening stations.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from picking up the signals from the MRO and Odyssey. You just need a big enough "ear," and I don't think many amateurs have the millions of dollars it would take to construct one. Oh, and you'd need at least 3 of them placed throughout the globe to be able to listen at all times, no matter which direction the Earth was facing.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by nataylor]

new topics

top topics

join